I'm still creeped out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Had a guy call this morning. Wanted to book a room for 7 nights for he and his 15 year old step daughter. Tells me he hasn't looked any further on our website, just front page to get the phone number. He wants a room with a queen or king. I tell him, I actually have a room with 2 beds available for his dates. He says they are used to sleeping in the same bed (first creep factor). He wants to know the difference of the 2 rooms and I tell him the suite has a double whirlpool tub..."oh wonderful, we can get in together" (MAJOR creep factor #2). I've got the heeby geebies at this point!
Now I tell him that I'm uncomfortable with the sleeping together and bathing together. I tell him I didn't think we were the right place for him and I told him why. He says he can bring the guardian papers if I want. Uh? I don't care if he's the legal guardian or not. He then tells me that they're used to sleeping together because they have a 1 bedroom and she's been sleeping in the same bed since DM died 4 years ago.
I tell him again that I'm very uncomfortable with the situation and here's the clencher. He says "I just want to make her first time special". The he realizes what he said and started to stay "you know first trip away, for her 15th birthday". (MAJOR CREEP FACTOR #3...GET THE HELL OFF MY PHONE!)
There is no way I'll have him here!

If you hadn't said 15 and step daughter I would have said he's stayed here. And, yes, major creep factor. My guy kept going on about how they're used to sleeping together since the divorce. (Not here.) I offered a room with 2 beds. (We don't need 2 beds.) I gave him the room with 2 beds.
I explained how the daughter could walk right into town to shop. "Not by herself she won't! She doesn't go anywhere without me." OK. Well, it ought to be interesting how he's going to be dropping in at college and sleeping with her in her dorm room with the other kids.
I seriously wondered if the mother knew all the details and why this guy had custody. He did go on about how conservative his beliefs were, blah blah blah. When they were here he certainly sounded like someone you'd want to divorce. Yeah, sorry I thought about that. I'm creeped out all over again.
Any opinions on what any of us should be doing in cases like this? Should we be calling someone? What do you say? 'I got a call from a guy who asked for a room with one bed even tho he's traveling with his teenage daughter? Says they sleep together all the time?' Is the kid waiting for someone to get involved?

Maddie, did you get any feeling from the child when they stayed with you? I think if I really had a suspicion, I would make a call to authorities. With it just being over the phone, I really would have no grounds and no information.
Another question...is it legal that we can deny them a room just on a hunch or feeling? Are we dealing with discrimination laws? We we need to have a statement on our website saying we have the right to refuse service?

Maddie, did you get any feeling from the child when they stayed with you? I think if I really had a suspicion, I would make a call to authorities. With it just being over the phone, I really would have no grounds and no information.
Another question...is it legal that we can deny them a room just on a hunch or feeling? Are we dealing with discrimination laws? We we need to have a statement on our website saying we have the right to refuse service?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Another question...is it legal that we can deny them a room just on a hunch or feeling? Are we dealing with discrimination laws? We we need to have a statement on our website saying we have the right to refuse service?
Yes you do have grounds BD. Absolutely. Please call. If you don't have caller ID or his phone # they can get it. Please, they will call the next B&B and stay here...I implore you.
You can deny any damn person you want. Seriousely make the call.

Another question...is it legal that we can deny them a room just on a hunch or feeling? Are we dealing with discrimination laws? We we need to have a statement on our website saying we have the right to refuse service?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes you do have grounds BD. Absolutely. Please call. If you don't have caller ID or his phone # they can get it. Please, they will call the next B&B and stay here...I implore you.
Joey Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
First & formost this is your home, if you are uncomfortable with a person in your home, you have the right. Period.
When I read your post my first reaction was call the police and report what the caller said & his #. The authorities will (hopefully) send it to the proper authorities in the area where he lives. And again hopefully, they will investagate. He may stay at the next B&B but that is really not as much of an issue as the fact that he is doing this IN his own home. OR this could be just someone testing what you would do, a joke. But this is nothing to joke about, call the authorities and let them handle it, you will feel more at eaze knowing you have done what you could for this girl.

The daughter seemed completely ok. She was open and talked to us, but she's the one living with the guy. Maybe it's how she copes. Maybe he's just clueless.
Yes, you can deny service if it is your opinion that laws are being broken or you feel threatened by the guest.

Breakfast Diva said:
I have caller ID, but it said private caller

I guess what you could do is call the non-911 number in your town and ask to speak to someone there and find out what can be done.

I guess what you could do is call the non-911 number in your town and ask to speak to someone there and find out what can be done.
Madeleine said:
That's what I'm going to do. I'll call the Sheriff's office and tell them what happened. I'll let you all know what they say.

Good.
In most rural areas dispatch is who takes all of these calls, and that is why they ask you to call 9-11, it isn't a city where you clog the artery. When we need to speak to sheriff or deputies they ask us to call 9-11. Just to clarify as I was corrected on this. There isn't a "switch board" as such any more.
In many lines of work there is a mandatory reporting, I wonder if innkeeper is such? I have never been told this, but perhaps it is? We would be required to report this sort of activity to the authorities, such as teachers, coaches, doctors are. Anyone pls chime in here if they know.

Around here, we would call the Children's Protection Services. Give them all the information that you have and then walk away. It's their job to take it forward. I would call them if only to have peace of mind that I did the right thing.

Good.
In most rural areas dispatch is who takes all of these calls, and that is why they ask you to call 9-11, it isn't a city where you clog the artery. When we need to speak to sheriff or deputies they ask us to call 9-11. Just to clarify as I was corrected on this. There isn't a "switch board" as such any more.
In many lines of work there is a mandatory reporting, I wonder if innkeeper is such? I have never been told this, but perhaps it is? We would be required to report this sort of activity to the authorities, such as teachers, coaches, doctors are. Anyone pls chime in here if they know..
Our 911 isn't even in town anymore, but I can call a non-emergency number and talk to someone. But, yeah, it was easier when it was all handled right in town. Then you could call and say, 'My kid needs a talking to, can you send someone?' Or, 'My ex is sitting in the driveway again, can you drive by and scare him off?' No record of the call. The person at the desk knew everyone and all the secrets. But it didn't have to go on your permanent record. Which it does when you call 911.
Now it's a bored police intern who may not even tell the right person something needs attention. (Like a 5x10' sign that fell on the sidewalk and lay there until residents moved it.)

I called the Sheriff's non-dispatch number, talked with a real person who said she would have a deputy call me back.
I related the story to the deputy, who said even he was getting creeped out just telling him the story. He does wonder also if it wasn't a legit call because the guy was so open about the sleeping thing. I told him that the sleeping conversation happened because I was offering him a suite with 2 beds and he was telling me it wasn't necessary, that they would be sleeping together. He is going to do a bit of investigation and if he comes up with anything he'll let me know.
Anyway, I feel better because I've done all I can. I actually did get a name and number from the creep which I gave to the sheriff. I had called the creep back earlier and it was a business and they said that there was no one named "John" that worked there. The guy that answered the phone actually sounded very much like the creep I talked with. Who knows.......
Thanks all of you for your support. I did feel like I wanted to call the sheriff after the creeps call, but really didn't think I had enough info/proof. With your encouragement I called and now I'm going to try to forget about it.

I called the Sheriff's non-dispatch number, talked with a real person who said she would have a deputy call me back.
I related the story to the deputy, who said even he was getting creeped out just telling him the story. He does wonder also if it wasn't a legit call because the guy was so open about the sleeping thing. I told him that the sleeping conversation happened because I was offering him a suite with 2 beds and he was telling me it wasn't necessary, that they would be sleeping together. He is going to do a bit of investigation and if he comes up with anything he'll let me know.
Anyway, I feel better because I've done all I can. I actually did get a name and number from the creep which I gave to the sheriff. I had called the creep back earlier and it was a business and they said that there was no one named "John" that worked there. The guy that answered the phone actually sounded very much like the creep I talked with. Who knows.......
Thanks all of you for your support. I did feel like I wanted to call the sheriff after the creeps call, but really didn't think I had enough info/proof. With your encouragement I called and now I'm going to try to forget about it..
As a mother thanks for calling. ALWAYS go with your gut!

Diva, thank you for making the call. We can ALL hope it was just a jerk trying to jerk you around BUT with the Sheriff investigating it, it will (let us hope) make him quit, get him arrested (preferred), or if he is just getting jollies let him know he is busted and the next person he tries this with will also call the cops.
I used to get calls from a jerk wanting to make a rez who said he was coming to take magician lessons and would i tie him up. Eeeewwwwwww! Told him off the last time instead of just hanging up on him. Have not heard from him since. Thankfully.

Thanks all of you for your support. I did feel like I wanted to call the sheriff after the creeps call, but really didn't think I had enough info/proof. With your encouragement I called and now I'm going to try to forget about it..
THANK YOU!
from a parent of a 15 year old, I thank you.

Let me just say something here, besides the obv "Stepfather" thing which is so common, unfortunately, predators and perverts are everywhere.
but - - Do you think THE TEACHER in THIS article below would go to a B&B or hotel and say it was NOT HIS DAUGHTER or STEPDAUGHTER? Think about it. That is exactly what he would say to not raise eyebrows, of course you went further with the questions. We have a girl missing right now in our town...that could be her. Who knows.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/310418

Let me just say something here, besides the obv "Stepfather" thing which is so common, unfortunately, predators and perverts are everywhere.
but - - Do you think THE TEACHER in THIS article below would go to a B&B or hotel and say it was NOT HIS DAUGHTER or STEPDAUGHTER? Think about it. That is exactly what he would say to not raise eyebrows, of course you went further with the questions. We have a girl missing right now in our town...that could be her. Who knows.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/310418.
And of course,I told you about the teacher/student thing happen here without us knowing. They arrested her. She's out on bail.

Breakfast Diva said:
Under current Arkansas law you'd be in violation of the law to suspect what you're suspecting and NOT call the authorities! Reporting this stuff is required here.

Back