I'm tired today .... or ... when you know you're in the right industry ... or Karaoke .... and Atkins !!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
I'm definitely feeling a little low / blue / tired today BUT I know that when the next guests walk through that front door everything will change. Either they will be super people who will put a smile on my face or they will be a challenge and make me work to figure out what is going to put a smile on THEIR face. Either way, it will immediately pull me out of my funk. What other job makes me do this? Nothing. Let's be honest - I absolutely love what I do. Is it hard - hell yes, but that's probably because I genuinely care about everyone's wellfare from the second they enter my door. Because I, like the rest of you, try to customize every guest's experience I will never ever be bored .... and boredom is one of my worst enemies.
On the other hand - Hubs and I stayed up waaayyy late last night with the karaoke machine - I laughed until my sides hurt. Will I ever grow up? I doubt it. The simplest things still make me happy. We'll definitely be doing impromtu Karaoke sessions outside for our guests this summer. Our little niche is elegant, comfortable and fun ..... but that's exactly who we are and we all know by now that a B&B is defined by its owners - every experience will be different.
Finally - I've been back on Atkins for about a week now. I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT looking for opinions on the healthiness or otherwise of the diet. All I know is that it works perfectly for my body type. I lose weight fast, I eat way more than I usually do and I feel great. So far I'm averaging a pound a day and feeling much, much better.
So, in closing - a huge shout out to all you amazing B&B owners / runners out there. Only we will ever know how much work goes into making everything seem effortless.

And the more effortless we make it appear, the better the experience for our guests.

Tipsy, you are my kind of innkeeper! Wouldn't mind having a few G&Ts and using the ol' Karaoke machine with y'all myself
teeth_smile.gif

I'm ready to host guests tomorrow. After being closed for 2 weeks (visit to help out friend/sick here myself for a week), I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. I am starting to feel better today and even worked out in the yards for quite a while today since it was cooler than it should be and everything is back to looking good around here. I just have to catch up with the dreaded ironing
sad_smile.gif
this evening after I go take a nap!!
Looking forward to the variety of guests that we have coming in over the next 5 days or so :)

Tipsy, you are my kind of innkeeper! Wouldn't mind having a few G&Ts and using the ol' Karaoke machine with y'all myself
teeth_smile.gif

I'm ready to host guests tomorrow. After being closed for 2 weeks (visit to help out friend/sick here myself for a week), I'm ready to get back into the swing of things. I am starting to feel better today and even worked out in the yards for quite a while today since it was cooler than it should be and everything is back to looking good around here. I just have to catch up with the dreaded ironing
sad_smile.gif
Looking forward to the variety of guests that we have coming in over the next 5 days or so :).
Well Samster - you are more than welcome here anytime. We work hard, play hard and generally have a great time. (p.s. clutching G&T as I type)
As for speculating this morning on what kind of guests I was going to get - Oh God ..... it just had to be the latter didn't it:
Arrive annoyed because they got lost and we are "so out of the way". We are just off route 1 and within walking distance of town.
Most of our guests are still loving our cool evenings for sleeping so as usual I offered to put in the a/c while they were out eating if they'd like. "No - I want it now". OK - so put in a/c while they sit and watch which means I can't swear while I'm doing it.
Says "does this a/c cycle on and off". I tell her that based on what temp she selects it will cycle off when it gets cool enough. "That's no good I need the constant white noise". That OK says I, the a/c will cycle off but the fan will stay on. "well let's test it to make sure". OK - no problem.
Says "I can't sleep on a pillowtop mattress". Thank God this is the only mattress in the inn without one. She strips the bed, sees the tempurpedic topping and says it has to go. Feels my linens and says they will do but that I need to cover the blanket with another sheet. Again - no problem I'll take care of it while they are dining
Checks out the bathroom. "I need more towels". No problem I'll put some more in there while you're out eating.
As I'm walking out of the door tells me she needs low carb breakfast. Hope she likes bacon and eggs.
All in all nothing that I can't fix .... and I'm happy to do it. But I think I set myself up for this one with this morning's post.

teeth_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
Looking forward to the variety of guests that we have coming in over the next 5 days or so :).
Well Samster - you are more than welcome here anytime. We work hard, play hard and generally have a great time. (p.s. clutching G&T as I type)
As for speculating this morning on what kind of guests I was going to get - Oh God ..... it just had to be the latter didn't it:
Arrive annoyed because they got lost and we are "so out of the way". We are just off route 1 and within walking distance of town.
Most of our guests are still loving our cool evenings for sleeping so as usual I offered to put in the a/c while they were out eating if they'd like. "No - I want it now". OK - so put in a/c while they sit and watch which means I can't swear while I'm doing it.
Says "does this a/c cycle on and off". I tell her that based on what temp she selects it will cycle off when it gets cool enough. "That's no good I need the constant white noise". That OK says I, the a/c will cycle off but the fan will stay on. "well let's test it to make sure". OK - no problem.
Says "I can't sleep on a pillowtop mattress". Thank God this is the only mattress in the inn without one. She strips the bed, sees the tempurpedic topping and says it has to go. Feels my linens and says they will do but that I need to cover the blanket with another sheet. Again - no problem I'll take care of it while they are dining
Checks out the bathroom. "I need more towels". No problem I'll put some more in there while you're out eating.
As I'm walking out of the door tells me she needs low carb breakfast. Hope she likes bacon and eggs.
All in all nothing that I can't fix .... and I'm happy to do it. But I think I set myself up for this one with this morning's post.
I know you are a good sport but are you ever tempted to pull out a notepad when they get going and start writing it all down? And then start 'yes, ma'am-ing' them?

teeth_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
Oh, man! Knock on wood, I haven't gotten any of those type of guests yet (and I hope that I never do. We don't have any pillowtop mattresses...everyone has commented on how comfy the beds are here. I can't believe that a guest would INSIST on triple sheeting. Jeez, Louise! That is pretty dang nervy...not to mention taking the bed apart in the first place.
angry_smile.gif

How many towels do you put in the bathrooms? I have 4 bath towels in there and try to have some of a little different weight, because people sometimes think the super thick spa towels don't dry as well.
She sounds like a bit of a "princess"
sad_smile.gif

wow!
i need white noise to sleep, i travel with a very small fan. in years of guesting i have never asked or expected a place to provide what i need.
this reminds me of that commercial, not sure what it was ... someone checking in and requesting all manner of things to see how the requests were handled ... asking for a dozen pillows or something like that. not being able to sleep on a certain kind of mattress, etc, ... these are things i think should have been requested ahead of time because what if you could not provide all?
what is a witch's corner? i hope i have one here!

teeth_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
I know you are a good sport but are you ever tempted to pull out a notepad when they get going and start writing it all down? And then start 'yes, ma'am-ing' them?
Oh but of course Ms. Bree - you know my sense of humor. I employ the curtsey often .... with a demure little deferential smile. Seriously - yesterday when I marched in the room carrying the air conditioner and with a screwdriver sticking out of my pocket she looked shocked and asked why I was doing it. I replied that I'd given my staff the day off.

teeth_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif
Oh but of course Ms. Bree - you know my sense of humor. I employ the curtsey often .... with a demure little deferential smile. Seriously - yesterday when I marched in the room carrying the air conditioner and with a screwdriver sticking out of my pocket she looked shocked and asked why I was doing it. I replied that I'd given my staff the day off.
The Tipsy Butler said:
I can see the curtsey and the demure smile. And with the accent it must simply floor them!
regular_smile.gif

Yes, what is a witches corner?
=)
Kk..
A Witches Corner is a curved part of room - ie where there should be a corner there's actually a curve. Apparently if a witch couldn't get you in a corner you were safe. Sooooo - because it's the maid's room I have an old besom broom in there and because I'm a Brit with a dubious sense of humour I stand the broom in the witches corner so she can't get to it.

=)
Kk..
A Witches Corner is a curved part of room - ie where there should be a corner there's actually a curve. Apparently if a witch couldn't get you in a corner you were safe. Sooooo - because it's the maid's room I have an old besom broom in there and because I'm a Brit with a dubious sense of humour I stand the broom in the witches corner so she can't get to it.
interesting, we have one room like that - i have often wondered why -- it is an odd thing.

=)
Kk..
What is today's update on that rather demanding guest of yours?? :)

=)
Kk..
All smiles and compliments ..... well you're a simply wonderful cook - although who'd have thought it seeing as your British .... how DO you get your scrambled eggs so fluffy ..... and by the way you probably want to put that a/c in a different window, it blows on you a little as you're sleeping .....

=)
Kk..
All smiles and compliments ..... well you're a simply wonderful cook - although who'd have thought it seeing as your British .... how DO you get your scrambled eggs so fluffy ..... and by the way you probably want to put that a/c in a different window, it blows on you a little as you're sleeping .....
We've had guests recently who paid back-handed complements. (bless their hearts, as we say here in the South - but really mean something else!) I feel for you!!

=)
Kk..
The Tipsy Butler said:
All smiles and compliments ..... well you're a simply wonderful cook - although who'd have thought it seeing as your British .... how DO you get your scrambled eggs so fluffy .....
"I spit in them."
Holy cow, don't tell those people about me, please!

=)
Kk..
OK... how do you?
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
Haha! Well, bless her heart...I guess she enjoyed her stay after making you jump through a few hoops :)
Curious minds do want to know the fluffy scrambled egg secret
teeth_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
Haha! Well, bless her heart...I guess she enjoyed her stay after making you jump through a few hoops :)
Curious minds do want to know the fluffy scrambled egg secret
teeth_smile.gif

Butter in the pan, low heat, half and half beaten with the eggs, stir a lot and remove before they are done. Low heat is the key as is the butter and half and half. I'm not going for healthy, I'm going for a B&B treat ......

Back