I'm Too Old for Facebook

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, I just went to set my vanity URL for my FB fan page for the inn. Read the directions, clicked the button thinking it was going to take me to another page but noooooooo. It automatically set my personal page with the vanity URL I wanted for my fan page. Apparently just up and decided that I was the inn. And, of course, once set this cannot be changed.
I'm too old for this stuff.

I really had trouble getting set up for the Inn...I created a Page under my personal FB account...my problem is it never gave me the option to have a vanity URL so now it's a long string of numbers.
It hasn't mattered too much as anywhere I post I just put Become a Fan so the URL doesn't matter too much. I haven't found the whole thing to be terribly user friendly. I gave up on Twitter for the same reason, I could NOT figure it out, nor do I really want to at this point.

OK, I may be too old, but I'm still trying. How do I add events to a calendar on my fan page NOT my personal page?

OK, I may be too old, but I'm still trying. How do I add events to a calendar on my fan page NOT my personal page?.
On your Wall (on your fan page), at the top left there is an "Edit Page" button...if you click on that and scroll down, under Applications there is a section labeled "Events"...I think that would post just to your fan page.

OK, I may be too old, but I'm still trying. How do I add events to a calendar on my fan page NOT my personal page?.
On your Wall (on your fan page), at the top left there is an "Edit Page" button...if you click on that and scroll down, under Applications there is a section labeled "Events"...I think that would post just to your fan page.
Yeah. Right there at the top is a little + sign and voila! there's the events tab. I should hire a kid...
So, I added a bunch of events and they all show that I'm the host. No. I'm just putting out the things to around here.

Yeah. Right there at the top is a little + sign and voila! there's the events tab. I should hire a kid...
So, I added a bunch of events and they all show that I'm the host. No. I'm just putting out the things to around here.
Can you get rid of the RSVP thing? Other than that it doesn't really look like you're the host when I look at your page. Is there a way to add a link to the real host/sponsor? Also pics would look better than all those questions marks but I know that's a pain.

Can you get rid of the RSVP thing? Other than that it doesn't really look like you're the host when I look at your page. Is there a way to add a link to the real host/sponsor? Also pics would look better than all those questions marks but I know that's a pain.
I don't have pix of the events, but I agree, the ? is stupid. I was really hoping it was more like a calendar than a list of these events looking the way it does. What I will do from now on is only one/week. Then I can send it to friends. I didn't want to hit everyone last night with dozens of these.
I 'skipped' everything I could but there's a form to fill out. Maybe if I unclick a few more buttons the RSVP will go away.
Still learning!
And thanks to happyjacks for emailing a how to!

i always seek out teens and preteens for the best techno advice ... it's second nature to them.
a little 6year old i know reprogrammed his mom's phone and gps to speak in french. i was amazed when she said, very sternly, 'you put the settings back to english' and he did it in two minutes. his almost four year old sister was sitting there watching the whole thing. i wouldn't be surprised if she starts reprogramming things to 'play a joke on mommy' soon.

OK, trying to add Facebook widget to blog. Deselected 'show fans' but even tho the code for fans is missing when I save it on my blog there are all those happy faces looking back. I don't want that.
Will logoff everything and try again. Really need teen at this point.

OK, trying to add Facebook widget to blog. Deselected 'show fans' but even tho the code for fans is missing when I save it on my blog there are all those happy faces looking back. I don't want that.
Will logoff everything and try again. Really need teen at this point..
No matter what I did, it continued to show the fans when the widget was installed. Had to edit the html to decrease the 'fans' box size to '0' and then it worked. FB or Blogger problem? I know FB wants for everyone to have access to everyone's friends but I don't think that's right.
Please let me know what YOU see. Should show up along the left side under the links to other B&B blogs.

No matter what I did, it continued to show the fans when the widget was installed. Had to edit the html to decrease the 'fans' box size to '0' and then it worked. FB or Blogger problem? I know FB wants for everyone to have access to everyone's friends but I don't think that's right.
Please let me know what YOU see. Should show up along the left side under the links to other B&B blogs.
Facebook has the buggiest set of applications out there. Lots of problems with some of their apps - I have never been able to get the blogfeed to work right. Same with twitter. No testing happens in the social media world, apparently.
You might browse Acorn's (the software company, not the organization) to see if they have any tips for that. They are at acorn-is.

Facebook has the buggiest set of applications out there. Lots of problems with some of their apps - I have never been able to get the blogfeed to work right. Same with twitter. No testing happens in the social media world, apparently.
You might browse Acorn's (the software company, not the organization) to see if they have any tips for that. They are at acorn-is.
I didn't try the blogfeed. I guess I won't. I need to get the blog on my website before I do anything else with it.

I didn't try the blogfeed. I guess I won't. I need to get the blog on my website before I do anything else with it.
I'am too old.........so I asked my Calif. daughter(age42) to do it.Did a great job....Mary in Bridgewater

Just so you know, I think you need to have over 150 fans to get a vanity URL on Facebook...

Just so you know, I think you need to have over 150 fans to get a vanity URL on Facebook....
I don't think I have that many, but it did let me do it. Unfortunately, as I said, it gave me (my personal page) the vanity URL for my fan page. I don't know why it did that, either. There was no place to select that I wanted the URL for my fan page, until AFTER it assigned it to my personal page.

Just so you know, I think you need to have over 150 fans to get a vanity URL on Facebook....
I don't think I have that many, but it did let me do it. Unfortunately, as I said, it gave me (my personal page) the vanity URL for my fan page. I don't know why it did that, either. There was no place to select that I wanted the URL for my fan page, until AFTER it assigned it to my personal page.
I was on my facebook page and was trying to set up a facebook fan page for a client / organization of mine. I have had nothing but grief. I had to sign out and do a totally different site so that it was not associated with me personally. You can't log in with your username / password and create a fan site unless you want it associated with your personal site.
I am still trying to sort it all out..but here is where I started. http://www.facebook.com/advertising/?pages Go to the Step by step section. You can delete out the other page and then start over here and do it as a new account with a different email login

I was on my facebook page and was trying to set up a facebook fan page for a client / organization of mine. I have had nothing but grief. I had to sign out and do a totally different site so that it was not associated with me personally. You can't log in with your username / password and create a fan site unless you want it associated with your personal site.
I am still trying to sort it all out..but here is where I started. http://www.facebook.com/advertising/?pages Go to the Step by step section. You can delete out the other page and then start over here and do it as a new account with a different email login
You MUST associate a fan page with a personal page. So, if your client wants a fan page, THEY should have a personal page. OR, if they want you to take care of everything, you associate the fan page with your personal page. You can have as many fan pages associated with your personal page as you want.
It should not be obvious to someone looking at a fan page that you created it. At least that's how I read it. The example given was a band promoter can have many bands' fan pages under his personal page as he wants, but they have to be associated with someone's personal page. I guess so FB can track back to who started the page if there is any quibbling about who owns the right to have the fan page for a band.
I'm ok with my vanity stuff as I now have multiple versions of the B&B vanity URL so no one else can.

The number has been changing, but I got mine at 100 fans. I think it's not just how many fans but when you established the page - the rules have gotten tougher for newer pages.

You MUST associate a fan page with a personal page. So, if your client wants a fan page, THEY should have a personal page. OR, if they want you to take care of everything, you associate the fan page with your personal page. You can have as many fan pages associated with your personal page as you want.
It should not be obvious to someone looking at a fan page that you created it. At least that's how I read it. The example given was a band promoter can have many bands' fan pages under his personal page as he wants, but they have to be associated with someone's personal page. I guess so FB can track back to who started the page if there is any quibbling about who owns the right to have the fan page for a band.
I'm ok with my vanity stuff as I now have multiple versions of the B&B vanity URL so no one else can.
So, see if this works for you. It is not associated with a personal page..I set it up as a separate business page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabin-Capital-of-Virginia/304201958708

So, see if this works for you. It is not associated with a personal page..I set it up as a separate business page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabin-Capital-of-Virginia/304201958708
I noticed there is now a link that says 'Set up a page for your business.' That may be something new. Or not. I don't spend a lot of time on FB.

Back