Implosion of One Night Stays

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We are having plenty of Anniversary stays right now and romantic getaways but many of them are one nighters. Steve mentioned the difference in romantic getaways who spend money and family trips looking at saving money.
My thinking cap tells me the way to do this in this current economic client it to really sell the packages and add ons. I have had two rooms back to back inquire about the Spa on our corner and a possible massage - once they are here. They DID see the add on and page about the spa on our website. Of course massage is not a walk-in business, you need to book a massage. Our community could benefit fromthese add on's/packages if given advance notice on them.
Your thoughts?

Joe Bloggs said:
Steve mentioned the difference in romantic getaways who spend money and family trips looking at saving money. My thinking cap tells me the way to do this in this current economic client it to really sell the packages and add ons.
There's really something to be said for Steve's comment. May was our busiest month so far and most of these visits were one-nighters celebrating anniversaries. If I get advanced notice about an anniversary or birthday, I push our add-ons: flowers and in-room massage etc. These guests are usually more receptive to packages.
I must add that we really don't make a lot of money off of our packages, but have them as value added items. What we did do is raise our room rate enough that we are making more of the many one-nighters as we were on the infrequent 2-night-minimum weekend guests....just a little more work.

If they order flowers I make money. ONLY because I have one grocery story who has the same flowers as pro flowers so I can get the nicest flower arrangements for $15 and charge $33. I can get the whole deal there for $29-30 with vase, or I go to dollar tree and buy a half dozen glass vases at a time and use those for these. The packages are not money makers, but an addtl floral add-on is good for me, since I am at that store anyway. I have two of them here right now. Sure it is pocket change, but better than a poke in the eye with a hot stick.

I think a lot of people want to see the massage place before they book. Or, at least have the place they are staying recommend the massage as a package or add on. (Which you did.)
So maybe if the massage place has a website, have a link or a photo on your site from their site.
We've gotten more addons purchased this year than any other and some guests suggested add ons to me that are simple. (I do have them on the online rez, but you know how I get more callers than online.)
And I am inundated with one nighters this year. Even tho we have some great long stretches of bookings, some of my previous 2-nighters have reduced to 1 night.

Massages are one of the biggest add on's here. However, there is only one gal...mine...who actually does on site massages. I am so surprised that none of the others will do it. Competition is keen here and they could really be doing more business if they would do on site. But seems most don't want to be bothered to lug all the stuff around. Their loss because with over 250 cabins here, they could be really improving their business.
Of course, this really didn't make me anything as an innkeeper...it was more of a convenience for my guests. However that said..there are innkeepers here who do their own packages and make the arrangements for their guests and charge them $$$ extra for the service so they make something as well. I just wasn't into that at the time.
We did a lot of add ons for flowers, candy, cheese trays etc.

If they order flowers I make money. ONLY because I have one grocery story who has the same flowers as pro flowers so I can get the nicest flower arrangements for $15 and charge $33. I can get the whole deal there for $29-30 with vase, or I go to dollar tree and buy a half dozen glass vases at a time and use those for these. The packages are not money makers, but an addtl floral add-on is good for me, since I am at that store anyway. I have two of them here right now. Sure it is pocket change, but better than a poke in the eye with a hot stick..
I don't score big with packages (it's more getting the original reservation) but I do make at least $5 on anything that is a GC purchase.
And, I'm getting better at combining add ons in different ways. (Combining the birthday with the romantic, as an example.)

I think a lot of people want to see the massage place before they book. Or, at least have the place they are staying recommend the massage as a package or add on. (Which you did.)
So maybe if the massage place has a website, have a link or a photo on your site from their site.
We've gotten more addons purchased this year than any other and some guests suggested add ons to me that are simple. (I do have them on the online rez, but you know how I get more callers than online.)
And I am inundated with one nighters this year. Even tho we have some great long stretches of bookings, some of my previous 2-nighters have reduced to 1 night..
Bree said:
And I am inundated with one nighters this year. Even tho we have some great long stretches of bookings, some of my previous 2-nighters have reduced to 1 night.
There is no website. All the rest don't do massages on weekends either. There is a place in an old office building in another town - I am not going to recommend them to anyone, the atmosphere is lacking.

We do make quite a bit of revenue on our add-ons. Like Joe, we get our flowers from the local market. I used to do the arrangement myself, but then it got to be too time consuming and the cost between me doing it and having the store doing it was worth it to me to just have them do it. I put a 100% markup on it. It still is a value to our guest, because if they had the local florist deliver the roses it would cost them $90 and when I sell it, it's $55-60.00. With our guests that are here this weekend, we're making an additional $150 of add ons. Next weekend I have 1 room that has added on an additional $200 of add-ons. All markups are 100% and most take very little time.
I wish I could find a massage therapist that would do in room massages. There are not many therapists around here and they don't want to travel. If you can find one who is willing to travel, you can buy the massage table & oils, etc to make it a better arrangement with the therapist. Definitely take a percentage.

If they order flowers I make money. ONLY because I have one grocery story who has the same flowers as pro flowers so I can get the nicest flower arrangements for $15 and charge $33. I can get the whole deal there for $29-30 with vase, or I go to dollar tree and buy a half dozen glass vases at a time and use those for these. The packages are not money makers, but an addtl floral add-on is good for me, since I am at that store anyway. I have two of them here right now. Sure it is pocket change, but better than a poke in the eye with a hot stick..
I don't score big with packages (it's more getting the original reservation) but I do make at least $5 on anything that is a GC purchase.
And, I'm getting better at combining add ons in different ways. (Combining the birthday with the romantic, as an example.)
Bree said:
We did have a dollar store for $1 balloons, now it is gone and it would be the reg price and waiting for them at walmart or hallmark, I offered that briefly as part of a bday add on and took it off. Running around takes my time and my fuel, so if I can't add it on by calling and ordering or picking up at one of my regular stomps then I won't offer it.

Bree said:
We did have a dollar store for $1 balloons, now it is gone and it would be the reg price and waiting for them at walmart or hallmark, I offered that briefly as part of a bday add on and took it off. Running around takes my time and my fuel, so if I can't add it on by calling and ordering or picking up at one of my regular stomps then I won't offer it.
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Well, that's where grocery shopping everyday comes in handy. Possibly the only way! Hubs is right there at the store so for him easy peasy. NOT if we had to drive anywhere special. But that is why I add on the extra $5 for all the GC's...I have to go get them. Not driving, walking, but it still takes time.

And I am inundated with one nighters this year. Even tho we have some great long stretches of bookings, some of my previous 2-nighters have reduced to 1 night..
Bree said:
There is no website. All the rest don't do massages on weekends either. There is a place in an old office building in another town - I am not going to recommend them to anyone, the atmosphere is lacking.
It's really hard when you can see how someone could make a little bit more money if they would just change one little thing. But, it's their life and that's how they want to live it.

I do sell a lot of packages although most are 2-nights. I do have a massage therapist willing to come do in-room massages (she was going to do it for the same rate as in her studio in town but I told her she charged $20 more for lugging equipment). I looked at it as an added value and never have taken a cut although I know many do.
I have always provided a red rose (1) at no charge for an anniversary. I get dinner packages (have one tonight). Why not do one package offering in your web site that has the candy & flowers included with something that is NOT available as an add-on included (like splits of sparkling cider and goblets) and boost the price as a one-night romance package.
I learned my lesson on the goblets though. I had given the couple 2 WV goblets and she wanted to buy more. Thinking I was being kind, I made the price very affordable. WRONG THING TO DO! She wanted them to be special and that means expensive. She would have thought more of them if I had sold them for $10 each. I think she was disappointed when I sold them to her for $5 for 2.

Hi,
As a general question, do you guys try and sell extras as part of the booking flow on your website? Either extras that you are getting a % off, or something you are providing yourself (e.g. bottle of champage in room)
Or do you wait until the guest arrives or do it post booking?
Thanks,
Alan

Hi,
As a general question, do you guys try and sell extras as part of the booking flow on your website? Either extras that you are getting a % off, or something you are providing yourself (e.g. bottle of champage in room)
Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:
Hi,
Thanks,
Alan
Not to sound rude, but, did you read anything on this thread? Sheesh.

Yes, I read it all. My question is about offering services inline during the booking flow. I realise that this might not always be possible (if you need to confirm with a 3rd party provider etc etc), but for services that you can provide yourself, or that are unlimited, do you do it?
Alan

Yes, I read it all. My question is about offering services inline during the booking flow. I realise that this might not always be possible (if you need to confirm with a 3rd party provider etc etc), but for services that you can provide yourself, or that are unlimited, do you do it?
Alan.
rezplanet said:
Alan
YES!
Webervations, Superinn, RezOvation all offer packages, gift shop sales (gift certificates) and add-ons in their programming.

Hi,
Thanks,
Alan.
I guess others have said it..but yes and all the reservation software that most of us use..has that incorporated into it. Haven't you looked at any of these sites? You really should know what your competition is doing don't you think?

Hi,
Thanks,
Alan.
rezplanet said:
Hi,
Thanks,
Alan
I do as much booking online during reservations or in emails prior to the guests' arrival. I think they are less likely to book something once they are already here. Plus my main add-on is the wine tours which often fill up fast so they had better book ahead of time.
Riki

Alan.
My packages spell out everything that is in it so they book the package and it is "in there" and for other things, it is posted on my web site that in-room massage is available by appointment, overnight stabling is available, etc.....

Back