"In event of emergency..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just got home from picking up my farm veggies to find out we are under tornado watch until later on tonight. One house destroyed and one dead in NH from this storm which has just hit the southern part of the state. Only one of my rooms has checked in. All others will be driving thru this storm to get here. Hopefully, they will get a later start than they expected from NYC and arrive after it has all passed. First time, I think, I have wished for late arrivals.
I live here because we don't get 'weather'. Yikes.

You should have listened to me, that was what I saw on weather channel.
confused_smile.gif

Hope they all arrive safely. Torrential downpours are never fun driving.

You should have listened to me, that was what I saw on weather channel.
confused_smile.gif

Hope they all arrive safely. Torrential downpours are never fun driving..
I DID listen to you! Just didn't realize how bad it was!
One couple just called. They are way behind schedule. Another couple just arrived an hour early.

It caught my eye as YOU aren't typically in the weather news. Unlike so many other parts of this country on a regular basis!
I told our guests about you today, they love your town. Altho they live at the far end of this east coast (Ft Lauderdale).

How often is Maine in the news? Flooding, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Drought, they have very little weather to report.
This whole year thus far - Maine was not in the news at all (except for that couple days there when I emailed Bree about a possible twister)

I see. My inlaws live just about as far north in Maine as one can get. Go north on Rt 11 and when you get to Canada, turn left and they are on that road about 16 miles. I hear about their weather...flooding on the St. John's, massive amounts of snow (over 200" this season) and the COLD. I don't know where she is, so I guess I didn't know they they don't get ALL that.

What do you mean you don't get "weather"?.
emspiers said:
What do you mean you don't get "weather"?
Like JBJ said...no twisters, no hurricanes, no floods (some minor ones where the roads are low and the tide is high when a storm rolls in).
We get rain, we get snow, we get sleet but we rarely get any kind of weather that would strike you dead where you stand (lightning excepted). That's what I mean by 'we don't get weather'. When it snows the roads are cleared within the hour. When it's icy, stay home until the roads are cleared within the hour.
I get that if you're not used to snow it's worrisome, but we don't worry about that because the towns and the state are prepared and snow generally doesn't kill in and of itself. Maybe if I lived in Fl I wouldn't worry about hurricanes or if I lived in AR I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. So I don't worry about snow because I've lived 'up north' all my life.

I see. My inlaws live just about as far north in Maine as one can get. Go north on Rt 11 and when you get to Canada, turn left and they are on that road about 16 miles. I hear about their weather...flooding on the St. John's, massive amounts of snow (over 200" this season) and the COLD. I don't know where she is, so I guess I didn't know they they don't get ALL that..
emspiers said:
I see. My inlaws live just about as far north in Maine as one can get. Go north on Rt 11 and when you get to Canada, turn left and they are on that road about 16 miles. I hear about their weather...flooding on the St. John's, massive amounts of snow (over 200" this season) and the COLD. I don't know where she is, so I guess I didn't know they they don't get ALL that.
The difference is that is the norm there. Just like the sun shining in Southern CA. It is NEVER on the weather channel. Just like the rains in Seattle. It is never on the weather channel, there is nothing to report. NO WEATHER.
Does that make sense? Indiana and all their twisters - devastation, loss of life, cars flying into buildings, that is newsworthy of reporting.
Severe Santa Anas (not worthy of reporting) until they turn into fires in CA.

I see. My inlaws live just about as far north in Maine as one can get. Go north on Rt 11 and when you get to Canada, turn left and they are on that road about 16 miles. I hear about their weather...flooding on the St. John's, massive amounts of snow (over 200" this season) and the COLD. I don't know where she is, so I guess I didn't know they they don't get ALL that..
emspiers said:
Yup, that was a bad flood this year. We missed a funeral because of it. Heck, the deceased missed his funeral because of it. 200" of snow doesn't fall all on the same day! We had 110" here and I'm in the southern part of the state. And, yes, it is COLD. 35 below is not uncommon.

emspiers said:
Like JBJ said...no twisters, no hurricanes, no floods (some minor ones where the roads are low and the tide is high when a storm rolls in).
We get rain, we get snow, we get sleet but we rarely get any kind of weather that would strike you dead where you stand (lightning excepted). That's what I mean by 'we don't get weather'. When it snows the roads are cleared within the hour. When it's icy, stay home until the roads are cleared within the hour.
I get that if you're not used to snow it's worrisome, but we don't worry about that because the towns and the state are prepared and snow generally doesn't kill in and of itself. Maybe if I lived in Fl I wouldn't worry about hurricanes or if I lived in AR I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. So I don't worry about snow because I've lived 'up north' all my life.
Maybe if I lived in Fl I wouldn't worry about hurricanes or if I lived in AR I wouldn't worry about tornadoes.
Yep, when we lived in Illinois and heard tornado warning the attitude was "so what else is new?" Here the main problem is run-off in severe rain storms. The hills are so steep the water basically cascades down the hill into the spring that runs into the creek that runs into the river that forms a third river when it meets with another one.
We had a severe snow in January 1995 (or 96 can't remember which) that was followed a couple days later by our January thaw - but unlike the norm, it did not go cold again for about a week. Our river meets the Tygart Valley River to form the Monongahela that meets the Allegheny in Pittsburgh to form the Ohio. Meanwhile, along the way, each had many, many runs, springs, creeks and just hillsides feeding into them. By the time it all got to Pittsburgh there was some heavy duty flood water! Barges (full ones) were grounded yards from the river bank. Pittsburgh was hammered! THAT made the news because it was out of the norm. The Ohio River flooding? other than keeping towns along the river notified of flood stages and crestings, that is not news.

emspiers said:
Maybe if I lived in Fl I wouldn't worry about hurricanes or if I lived in AR I wouldn't worry about tornadoes.
Yep, when we lived in Illinois and heard tornado warning the attitude was "so what else is new?" Here the main problem is run-off in severe rain storms. The hills are so steep the water basically cascades down the hill into the spring that runs into the creek that runs into the river that forms a third river when it meets with another one.
We had a severe snow in January 1995 (or 96 can't remember which) that was followed a couple days later by our January thaw - but unlike the norm, it did not go cold again for about a week. Our river meets the Tygart Valley River to form the Monongahela that meets the Allegheny in Pittsburgh to form the Ohio. Meanwhile, along the way, each had many, many runs, springs, creeks and just hillsides feeding into them. By the time it all got to Pittsburgh there was some heavy duty flood water! Barges (full ones) were grounded yards from the river bank. Pittsburgh was hammered! THAT made the news because it was out of the norm. The Ohio River flooding? other than keeping towns along the river notified of flood stages and crestings, that is not news.
gillumhouse said:
Yep, when we lived in Illinois and heard tornado warning the attitude was "so what else is new?"
WATCH = What else is new?
WARNING = Where exactly? Northern part of the county? That's where they usually go, along the North-South Continental Divide. So why are those blasted tornado sirens going off then? No one up there can hear them!
ROTATION = What is up with that? They didn't do "rotation" when I was growing up! It's all because of that new technology! Rotation over Claremont Avenue? Didn't notice anything as we drove home... Blasted TV thrives on ratings and what else is there going on? Whatever!
FLOOD = Gosh, county seat a couple of counties over is under water again. Guess that's what happens when you drain a swamp! [Great Black Swamp... biggest swamp in North America, now fertile farmland covering a big chunk of Ohio into Indian and Michigan. It's eradication is an amazing story of pioneer fortitude and burn parties.]
BLIZZARD = What we had this year didn't count. (Only 14" and the winds weren't high enough or sustained long enough.) Still remember the one from 1977, though...
HURRICANE = By the time it gets here it's a heavy rainstorm.
FOREST FIRES = Only you can prevent them. But apparently having rain helps with that!
EARTHQUAKE = Yeah, sure, right, you felt that one last year. I felt the one in 1987, but only 'cause I was on the third floor and how many buildings here have that many floors?
=)
Kk.

emspiers said:
gillumhouse said:
Yep, when we lived in Illinois and heard tornado warning the attitude was "so what else is new?"
WARNING = Where exactly? Northern part of the county? That's where they usually go, along the North-South Continental Divide. So why are those blasted tornado sirens going off then? No one up there can hear them!
ROTATION = What is up with that? They didn't do "rotation" when I was growing up! It's all because of that new technology! Rotation over Claremont Avenue? Didn't notice anything as we drove home... Blasted TV thrives on ratings and what else is there going on? Whatever!
FLOOD = Gosh, county seat a couple of counties over is under water again. Guess that's what happens when you drain a swamp! [Great Black Swamp... biggest swamp in North America, now fertile farmland covering a big chunk of Ohio into Indian and Michigan. It's eradication is an amazing story of pioneer fortitude and burn parties.]
BLIZZARD = What we had this year didn't count. (Only 14" and the winds weren't high enough or sustained long enough.) Still remember the one from 1977, though...
FOREST FIRES = Only you can prevent them. But apparently having rain helps with that!
EARTHQUAKE = Yeah, sure, right, you felt that one last year. I felt the one in 1987, but only 'cause I was on the third floor and how many buildings here have that many floors?
=)
Kk.
Yes, I wrote watch and then changed to warning. Could never remember which was which. I figured when I saw Auntie Em I would figure it out. Glad to be back in my hills.
There is a whole subdivision built on a swamp in Palatine, Illinois. DH says the original model home sank and had to be torn down (this was late 50s - in early 50s DH hunted pheasant there). Most places build their subdivisions on the former landfill.

emspiers said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
What about seeing the sun? SInce moving here I have learned via many Ohio guests that they do not see the sun much of the year, moreso than the Seattle area. Is that true where you are? Lake effect of what have you boggs you in?

emspiers said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
What about seeing the sun? SInce moving here I have learned via many Ohio guests that they do not see the sun much of the year, moreso than the Seattle area. Is that true where you are? Lake effect of what have you boggs you in?
I know where I am in Ohio, we are having quite the drought. It hasn't rained measureably here in 6 weeks. Lawns are brown, gardens are dying, pastures are not growing back after haying. Last year was the worst drought in most people's memories around here, but this year isn't faring too much better...so, yes, we are seeing the sun.
I am too far south of the "Lake effect" bands to get any of that mess. (thankfully)

emspiers said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
We are south of the lake effect line... It snows quite a bit more 45 mins north of us. But we're still north enough to get snow (Southern Ohio gets significantly less than we do).
We've seen the sun a lot lately, dh has been running the sprinkler for the first time this summer.
It was awfully grey in February, though...
=)
Kk.

emspiers said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
I know where I am in Ohio, we are having quite the drought. It hasn't rained measureably here in 6 weeks. Lawns are brown, gardens are dying, pastures are not growing back after haying. Last year was the worst drought in most people's memories around here, but this year isn't faring too much better...so, yes, we are seeing the sun.
I am too far south of the "Lake effect" bands to get any of that mess. (thankfully)
Where are you in OH? I moved to VA from Columbus and was born in East LIverpool. I taught at OSU and traveled to every county in OH. So know it well.

emspiers said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
We are south of the lake effect line... It snows quite a bit more 45 mins north of us. But we're still north enough to get snow (Southern Ohio gets significantly less than we do).
We've seen the sun a lot lately, dh has been running the sprinkler for the first time this summer.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Okay let me paraphrase. THIS IS SUMMER TIME! Of course the sun is shining!
There is a thing called sun depravation. It is also known as cabin fever. This comes from day after day week after week of bogged in grey days, esp dampness.
Did you know SUMMER IN SEATTLE IS LIKE HEAVEN? The sunlight glistens on the water like diamonds as it reflects the snowy peaks of the mountains, sail boats whoosh past as orcas breach in the sound, it is ideal, gorgeous. SUMMER. The rest of the year it stinks. It is damp and drizzly. We get more rain HERE than there, but all at once. One downpour per month and it is over.

Back