In room chairs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you find guests use the chairs in their rooms for sitting or throwing their stuff on?
I'm looking at a couple of chairs for the living room but if they don't fit I would put them in a guest room. Just wondering if you find guests really use the chairs to sit in, or if they just toss their stuff on them?

When we stay at a b&b we use the chairs to sit in. I think that's a nice amenity if there's room!

When we stay at a b&b we use the chairs to sit in. I think that's a nice amenity if there's room!.
All the rooms have chairs now, but these would be upholstered chairs instead of the wooden rockers. Obviously, the rockers are much easier to keep clean, but most of the time they just have all their stuff on them, it doesn't look like anyone sits on them.
I found some nice ones on Overstock to go in the living room as side chairs. I have a couch and 2 chairs at the table, so I'm looking at slipper chairs because there's not a lot of room left. The rockers are a pain because they scratch the hardwood and guests jam them into the walls.

No one is ever here long enough to sit...we have lots of comfy chairs in the living room if they need them. It depends if you are a "destination" spot or not...if you are then I would think they would get used, otherwise not so much.

I find that our upholstered chairs are used in all of our rooms. I have one wooden rocker in a room that also has a wingback chair. The rocker is the one that has stuff on it all the time. I also find that the chairs that have ottomans get used a lot. I know that I really like that in a guest room. :)

No one is ever here long enough to sit...we have lots of comfy chairs in the living room if they need them. It depends if you are a "destination" spot or not...if you are then I would think they would get used, otherwise not so much..
Most guests are in their rooms long enough to sleep. They're gone the rest of the time. I have a fairly small living room that is awkwardly laid out in that everyone has to walk thru it to get to their rooms, so one whole wall (the only long wall) is essentially where they have to walk so I can't really put anything along that wall that sticks out (like the rockers do).
BUT, when guests do want to sit around and socialize, I'd like enough seating for them to be comfortable.
So, we're not the destination, the area is. Like I imagine your place is. I know when we were there we were out all day.

How would anyone know which chairs guests are sitting in? This is a strange question.
Speaking of strange, you email to me Mort is in some sort of captive spam spot in my inbox and I can't seem to get it out or reply, the link to your blog is on it. I can't open it either. I will try again in a bit.

How would anyone know which chairs guests are sitting in? This is a strange question.
Speaking of strange, you email to me Mort is in some sort of captive spam spot in my inbox and I can't seem to get it out or reply, the link to your blog is on it. I can't open it either. I will try again in a bit..
Every time you reply back to me, the subject line always hsows varying amounts of 'spam code'. Low spam, medium spam, high spam. I don't know why as this email is a really good one that rarely has problems.
I judge by what's piled up on the chair when I clean. Empty chair probably means they're sitting on it when in the room. Chair piled high with crap, dirty clothes, suitcases, laptops, boots, empty shopping bags probably means they're not sitting on the chair at night. Altho, they could just toss it all on the floor at night and then pick it up in the morning.
I'm looking at getting upholstered furniture but wondering if it's worth the expense because they're so much harder to keep clean. If guests are just using the chairs for coatracks, I can keep the rockers and not bother.

Speaking of strange, you email to me Mort is in some sort of captive spam spot in my inbox and I can't seem to get it out or reply, the link to your blog is on it. I can't open it either. I will try again in a bit..
I also get Low Spam on a Re:
Edited to add: but I can open them oK.

Every time you reply back to me, the subject line always hsows varying amounts of 'spam code'. Low spam, medium spam, high spam. I don't know why as this email is a really good one that rarely has problems.
I judge by what's piled up on the chair when I clean. Empty chair probably means they're sitting on it when in the room. Chair piled high with crap, dirty clothes, suitcases, laptops, boots, empty shopping bags probably means they're not sitting on the chair at night. Altho, they could just toss it all on the floor at night and then pick it up in the morning.
I'm looking at getting upholstered furniture but wondering if it's worth the expense because they're so much harder to keep clean. If guests are just using the chairs for coatracks, I can keep the rockers and not bother.
Morticia said:
I'm looking at getting upholstered furniture but wondering if it's worth the expense because they're so much harder to keep clean.
In re-doing our largest room, we removed the daybed and put in a little sitting area. I bought a little red slipper-type chair at Big Lots for $99.00...and I love it. Not only was it the perfect size, price and even color, but is so very easy to keep clean as is vinyl or imitation leather or some such thing.
Daniels%20Rm%20010.jpg

I have also purchased furniture from Home Decorators Outlet with perfect happiness.

Morticia said:
I'm looking at getting upholstered furniture but wondering if it's worth the expense because they're so much harder to keep clean.
In re-doing our largest room, we removed the daybed and put in a little sitting area. I bought a little red slipper-type chair at Big Lots for $99.00...and I love it. Not only was it the perfect size, price and even color, but is so very easy to keep clean as is vinyl or imitation leather or some such thing.
Daniels%20Rm%20010.jpg

I have also purchased furniture from Home Decorators Outlet with perfect happiness.
What a sweet little chair for $99!

Morticia said:
Daniels%20Rm%20010.jpg

That's cute! We just got back from furniture shopping. $300 for a wing back chair. I'm going to go look some more next week.

Morticia said:
Daniels%20Rm%20010.jpg

Cute! I've bought lovely chairs for right around $100 at TJ Maxx or Marshalls also. Pier One will have good sales on upholstered chairs as well as various types of wicker or rattan chairs. I really look carefull to see comfortable they are, the space in the room, how they're assembled, how they might show dirt, how easy to wipe off, etc. I think most people prefer some kind of chair that has a soft seat as opposed to a wooden chair.

Several of our rooms each have a pair of chairs. judging by the reading materials left on the coffee tables next to the chairs I would say that they are used for sitting and relaxing. These chairs are large and comfortable with lamps nearby. When one of these rooms is empty, the chairs are so comfortable that I'll sit in there to read.
Now the ottomans (is plural ottomen?) at the foot of the bed, that's a different story. We try to carry most of our guests luggage in and place it on luggage racks, but the luggage always ends up on top of the ottomans. Were currently looking for sturdy antique storage trunks for the end of the beds. Guest can throw their luggage on them without damaging them and we can store extra sets of linens and pillows on the trunks. One thing were short on is storage space.

Back