In room dressers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colleen848

Reaction score
Is it absouletly neccessary to have dressers (chest of drawers) in guest rooms for other than storing additional pillows, blankets, etc. Or would a luggage racks suffice?
I, of all people who is about to open a B&B, have never stayed at one.
I know from my own personal experience when traveling I basically live out of my suitcase although all hotel rooms offer dressers.
Just never seemed that important to me to unpack and in a day or two and then repack. I do use the closet and hangers but not the dresser.
Do your guests actually utilize them or are they more for asthetics and storage space?

I go around about on this, too, as I would rather have a nice table or sitting area instead of a dresser. If you will have closets, happyjacks suggested these to me instead of having a dresser. I will be getting one of these for one of the rooms. Hang on, I have to find it...
http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-01812-Six-Shelf-Organizer/dp/B0000CNQYI

Our Association requires one. If you get guests who stay more than one or two nights, they may want to unpack.

Colleen you need SURFACES to put your stuff, that is another valuable part of a dresser.
Where are you? There are plenty of B&B's on this forum for you to visit. (Unless maybe in...Kansas.)
wink_smile.gif

Depending on what locale etc, you are required a closet. some you are also required to have drawers. As innkeepers the best thing we can do is PACK an onvernight bag and stay in our rooms. I am about to do this on Saturday = should the room - after major major work including tearing the dry wall tape seam off the ceiling and redoing it all - be ready. We are moving a chest of drawers into this room where there isn't really enough space, but it is an addtl surface area. BUT mostly my DH needs to sleep in there - #1 to be the first after 4 weeks every night and weekend of laboring in this room after work, and #2 to see what needs to be moved or adjusted. I will make him pack a bag and all his toiletries etc or he won't "get it".
The super heavy duty comforter and shams have been washed and prepped. We still have so much more to go!
lrg_WORK.jpg

Colleen you need SURFACES to put your stuff, that is another valuable part of a dresser.
Where are you? There are plenty of B&B's on this forum for you to visit. (Unless maybe in...Kansas.)
wink_smile.gif

Depending on what locale etc, you are required a closet. some you are also required to have drawers. As innkeepers the best thing we can do is PACK an onvernight bag and stay in our rooms. I am about to do this on Saturday = should the room - after major major work including tearing the dry wall tape seam off the ceiling and redoing it all - be ready. We are moving a chest of drawers into this room where there isn't really enough space, but it is an addtl surface area. BUT mostly my DH needs to sleep in there - #1 to be the first after 4 weeks every night and weekend of laboring in this room after work, and #2 to see what needs to be moved or adjusted. I will make him pack a bag and all his toiletries etc or he won't "get it".
The super heavy duty comforter and shams have been washed and prepped. We still have so much more to go!
lrg_WORK.jpg
Joey Bloggs said:
As innkeepers the best thing we can do is PACK an onvernight bag and stay in our rooms.
That sounds like an excellent idea. On the path to opening an inn, I had thought about staying in the rooms, but not about packing....

wink_smile.gif

lrg_WORK.jpg
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif

lrg_WORK.jpg
I've even got Kansas covered. ;)
To answer the question. Even my smallest room has a dresser and it doubles for a tv stand. I have several requests for long term stays from a week to a couple of months sometimes and those people will want a dresser.

I go around about on this, too, as I would rather have a nice table or sitting area instead of a dresser. If you will have closets, happyjacks suggested these to me instead of having a dresser. I will be getting one of these for one of the rooms. Hang on, I have to find it...
http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-01812-Six-Shelf-Organizer/dp/B0000CNQYI.
I may have to purchase one or two of these also.
Both of the rooms have a sitting area with a good sized table and comfortable chairs located by an outlet, as well as closets.
The t.v.'s are flat panel which will be mounted on the frame of a 3 shelf tv stand.
Also each room will have it's own dorm size refrigerator so I think that should be sufficient area to set things on. I may be able to put in dressers but was just wondering if it was absolutely necessary.
In my town a B&B can not accomodate guests for more than a week or two or I'd be getting back into the apartment business again. I'm not completely out of it yet as I live in one and also rent another unit as an apartment.
I am starting the B&B by converting the upper unit over and if all goes well may wind up converting more.
I am not aware of any regulations in my area regarding dressers being required. I have visited the websites of the B&B's around me which I will be competing with but the room pictures only show the beds. Guess I would have to drop by and take a look.
I am located in Western New York, Niagara County. Approx. 15 mi. to Niagara Falls, 25 miles to Buffalo, sort of in land between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. For those that are curious.

http://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-01812-Six-Shelf-Organizer/dp/B0000CNQYI.
Both of the rooms have a sitting area with a good sized table and comfortable chairs located by an outlet, as well as closets.
The t.v.'s are flat panel which will be mounted on the frame of a 3 shelf tv stand.
Also each room will have it's own dorm size refrigerator so I think that should be sufficient area to set things on. I may be able to put in dressers but was just wondering if it was absolutely necessary.
In my town a B&B can not accomodate guests for more than a week or two or I'd be getting back into the apartment business again. I'm not completely out of it yet as I live in one and also rent another unit as an apartment.
I am starting the B&B by converting the upper unit over and if all goes well may wind up converting more.
I am not aware of any regulations in my area regarding dressers being required. I have visited the websites of the B&B's around me which I will be competing with but the room pictures only show the beds. Guess I would have to drop by and take a look.
I am located in Western New York, Niagara County. Approx. 15 mi. to Niagara Falls, 25 miles to Buffalo, sort of in land between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. For those that are curious.
In my search, I looked long and hard at property in Wyoming County, NY. The rooms were large, few dressers, but ample storage both hanging and shelving in the closets. Confirm with your county if required. But as others have suggested pack a bag, stay in each room as you get them done and see how much room you have for your stuff, can you see the TV, reach the lamps, etc. should you decide to unpack for a long weekend a small dresser or dressing table would be wecomed.
I used to travel 2-4 days at a time frequently for work, having a dresser was great for more than one night, not just for unpacking but as a staging area for all the stuff I lugged around with me. IMHO surface area is more important than drawers.

In my search, I looked long and hard at property in Wyoming County, NY. The rooms were large, few dressers, but ample storage both hanging and shelving in the closets. Confirm with your county if required. But as others have suggested pack a bag, stay in each room as you get them done and see how much room you have for your stuff, can you see the TV, reach the lamps, etc. should you decide to unpack for a long weekend a small dresser or dressing table would be wecomed.
I used to travel 2-4 days at a time frequently for work, having a dresser was great for more than one night, not just for unpacking but as a staging area for all the stuff I lugged around with me. IMHO surface area is more important than drawers.
I neglected to mention the nightstands too. I am furnishing in an eclectic style. Many antiques but mixed with new too.
I loaned my one tenant an upright chest of drawers and since she no longer has a use for it I probably will use it in the room with the twin beds. They are an antique looking scroll work metal frame.
The other larger room has an antique bed along with an antique oval shaped table (goes great by the curved wall) with two antique chairs. I have not been able to find a dresser to my liking to go with this room yet.
I am in Lockport, NY by the Erie canal and if you were to google or mapquest my address it would bring up a golf course. That's another issue I will have to deal with. At one time all the land was owned by my grandfather so everything back here (1/3 mile off the main road) is the same address.
I have relatives in Wyoming County, Beautiful area.
Where did you finally settle?

for us it is not required but you can get drawers and surfaces in, in several ways ie in my room 1 the dressing table/desk has drawers on one side if you need them. Room 9 has a really tall thin wardrobe from Ikea which I have put a shelving system into the bottom of for socks etc You just have to see what works in the room.

Back