In room land lines

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colleen, you might consider MagicJack. They sell them at Walmart here, so they should be available everywhere. Consumer Reports investigated it a couple of years ago and said it really works. It's a good product.
You plug any regular phone into the phone jack on the little MagicJack box, then plug the MagicJack into your computer modem (cable modem or DSL modem). Then you just use the phone like any regular phone, but the calls are going over your Internet connection rather than the phone company lines.
All calls are free, even international. Directory assistance is also free. They assign a free phone number to each MagicJack box, so all guests would have a private line with their own phone number.
An alternate way to hook it up is to plug the MagicJack box into a USB port on an Internet-connected computer, so IF the guest has a laptop, they could make calls over WIFI without need to run a cable from the guestroom to your Intenet router.
The MagicJack costs about $35 (one-time cost). The first year of service is free. After that it's $20/year..
That's a great idea.
I had that rolling around in my head along with the other loose screws, lol but your pointing out the benefits helped alot.
The cell phone reception here varies by provider.
At one time I recall you could get a toll free number for people to call you on but I can't remember where or if it still exisits. Have you heard of it?
Thanks again
We have a toll free number and i am not sure I would bother if I did it today. almost everyone uses cell phones here and long distance is free.

I don't even have a land line, why do they need one?
wink_smile.gif
I have both land line and cell. With my cell phone I do not receive a good signal here unless I am outside.
I know this house is old but I could swear it's walls are lined with lead because I am not even able to pick up an over the air television signal.
May be due to living below the escarpment that leads to Niagara Falls. I used to live in Texas and never needed a telephone because everyone talked on CB radios.
When I put in my base station here all I could pick up was skip from Cuba or elsewhere along with Canadians. No offense. My grandmother was born there and half my family resides in Canada.

wink_smile.gif
I have both land line and cell. With my cell phone I do not receive a good signal here unless I am outside.
I know this house is old but I could swear it's walls are lined with lead because I am not even able to pick up an over the air television signal.
May be due to living below the escarpment that leads to Niagara Falls. I used to live in Texas and never needed a telephone because everyone talked on CB radios.
When I put in my base station here all I could pick up was skip from Cuba or elsewhere along with Canadians. No offense. My grandmother was born there and half my family resides in Canada.
In the UK you can pretty much get good coverage with any of the majour networks ie Vodaphone or Orange anywhere as we are quite a small country and addicted to our phones.

Have you ever stayed in a B & B? I suggest you do so and lots of them so you can compare and have something to base your own on. You MUST take an aspiring innkeeper course as well. Maybe offer to help out with a B&B in your locale to get some experience first. Attend a conference. Many states offer them as well as PAII
Most of the questions you ask have already been asked here and could be found by doing a search. Don't want to be abrupt...but most of us don't have time to repost everything we have said in the past. If there are others here who want to answer your questions again, I am sure they will. Good luck.

I cannot remember which thread it is that you said you had never stayed at a B & B to post this there. If you have never stayed at one, how do you know that you will like being an innkeeper - it is NOT the same as rentals! How do you know how it should be done - meaning how a B & B does things. We are each different, but the basics are the same.
It was staying at one that made me think I could do it. THEN we attended many workshops and seminars. And after I opened my B & B I discovered what it REALLY was. Being an innkeeper is like getting old - it ain't for wimps and is a lot harder than it looks. (Especially when you get old to boot! My knees are screaming already and I have not gone up to flip rooms yet!)

wink_smile.gif
Colleen848 said:
I used to live in Texas and never needed a telephone because everyone talked on CB radios.
Hey, we're not all red necks down here!
smiley-char092.gif

Have you ever stayed in a B & B? I suggest you do so and lots of them so you can compare and have something to base your own on. You MUST take an aspiring innkeeper course as well. Maybe offer to help out with a B&B in your locale to get some experience first. Attend a conference. Many states offer them as well as PAII
Most of the questions you ask have already been asked here and could be found by doing a search. Don't want to be abrupt...but most of us don't have time to repost everything we have said in the past. If there are others here who want to answer your questions again, I am sure they will. Good luck..
Your abruptness is duely noted. You always have the option of not reading my questions and not responding. So far questions I have asked have been responded to with many different veiw points which is the idea of having a forum of this nature. This site, I believe is for aspiring innkeepers as well as established ones.
I have attended classes and read many books on the subject. But practical advice and more than one point of veiw is invaluable.
I understand a B&B is not the same as rentals. That's a no brainer.
My reason for starting one started approx. 20 yrs ago. I have an ideal location, have catered large parties of well over 100 guests at a time.
My current situation of being located 1/3 mile off the road and the golfcourse not allowing the school bus to drive down anymore inhibits my ability to rent to people with children.
Then when you rent, I do a month to month, you may not always "like" the people and you are stuck until you give them a notice to leave. Also, tenants who live here many years begin to lose boundaries as feeling they own the property.
A B&B has different people coming and going all of the time. I can be pleasant to the most rude people knowing that soon they will be gone. Learned this as a bill collector for a trucking company and having worked as an electrician for 20+ years in a factory at one time employed over 15,000 people.
Unfortunately I developed bilateral carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve problems and will need a joint replacement in my thumb. So far I have indured 2 back surgeries, the last being a spinal fusion and may be facing a 3rd. surgery. I am now on SSD.
I need to be able to increase revenue. I enjoy cooking and can do so as it is not necessary to stand the entire time while I am doing it.
I don't think I need to explain these things to you and yes, each B&B will be different. I am sure mine will also.
Like I previously mentioned, you do not have to respond. Simply block me.
Thank you,
Colleen

I enjoy your questions so keep them coming. When I started innkeeping I had never stayed in a B & B before either. I had worked in full service historic hotels and had gained some experience there. I also never took an aspiring innkeeper course. Just dove in and did it with maybe two weeks training from the previous owner. I'm in my 6th year now and highly rated on Tripadvisor. I learn something everyday and have grown as a person dealing so closely with all these people who come through the doors. One thing I might think about is the housekeeping aspect. If you are having back and carpal tunnel problems you might need to get help with housekeeping. Housekeeping for me is where most of my time is spent, 4 hours a day for months on end but I do have a very part time housekeeper in the peak months.

I enjoy your questions so keep them coming. When I started innkeeping I had never stayed in a B & B before either. I had worked in full service historic hotels and had gained some experience there. I also never took an aspiring innkeeper course. Just dove in and did it with maybe two weeks training from the previous owner. I'm in my 6th year now and highly rated on Tripadvisor. I learn something everyday and have grown as a person dealing so closely with all these people who come through the doors. One thing I might think about is the housekeeping aspect. If you are having back and carpal tunnel problems you might need to get help with housekeeping. Housekeeping for me is where most of my time is spent, 4 hours a day for months on end but I do have a very part time housekeeper in the peak months..
Thank you for your feedback. Everyone is entitled to their personal view.
Glad to hear I am not the only one just diving in head first. As I mentioned I am only converting one unit at this time to test the waters.
My back apt. is a duplex with 3 bedrooms upstairs and bath. Downstairs has a kitchen and living room. It also has it's own basement with washer, dryer hook-ups. Possibly considering renting that out on a weekly basis, kind of like a condo. Time will tell.
I have considered my physical limitations and have thought about very part time help as well. I will only be renting 2 rooms at this time so it should not be to bad.
I ironically go an online auction site and won a computerized vacuum. It literally scans the rooms and does it's duty. Automatically goes back to it's charging station when the battery starts to run low. Then heads out, re-scans and starts where it left off. Therefore if clothes or chairs are moved it has a new pattern. Has to be the electrician in me. lol You can also program it as to when to run. Think what guests will think. That's a real OMG moment.
I feel entering this business sort of resembles myself in college as a Science, Math major. I was required to take electives to round out my degree so I took ceramics. My instructor had her own shop in Buffalo, NY and encouraged me to continue as what I did with my hands vs. art majors breathed new life. Many of my pieces were on display.
We all have different talents, inherent skills and fortes that can not be taught from a text book. Isn't that great!

I enjoy your questions so keep them coming. When I started innkeeping I had never stayed in a B & B before either. I had worked in full service historic hotels and had gained some experience there. I also never took an aspiring innkeeper course. Just dove in and did it with maybe two weeks training from the previous owner. I'm in my 6th year now and highly rated on Tripadvisor. I learn something everyday and have grown as a person dealing so closely with all these people who come through the doors. One thing I might think about is the housekeeping aspect. If you are having back and carpal tunnel problems you might need to get help with housekeeping. Housekeeping for me is where most of my time is spent, 4 hours a day for months on end but I do have a very part time housekeeper in the peak months..
Glad to hear I am not the only one just diving in head first. As I mentioned I am only converting one unit at this time to test the waters.
My back apt. is a duplex with 3 bedrooms upstairs and bath. Downstairs has a kitchen and living room. It also has it's own basement with washer, dryer hook-ups. Possibly considering renting that out on a weekly basis, kind of like a condo. Time will tell.
I have considered my physical limitations and have thought about very part time help as well. I will only be renting 2 rooms at this time so it should not be to bad.
I ironically go an online auction site and won a computerized vacuum. It literally scans the rooms and does it's duty. Automatically goes back to it's charging station when the battery starts to run low. Then heads out, re-scans and starts where it left off. Therefore if clothes or chairs are moved it has a new pattern. Has to be the electrician in me. lol You can also program it as to when to run. Think what guests will think. That's a real OMG moment.
I feel entering this business sort of resembles myself in college as a Science, Math major. I was required to take electives to round out my degree so I took ceramics. My instructor had her own shop in Buffalo, NY and encouraged me to continue as what I did with my hands vs. art majors breathed new life. Many of my pieces were on display.
We all have different talents, inherent skills and fortes that can not be taught from a text book. Isn't that great!
I forgot to congratulate you on your success. You are surely deserving.
Hope I fair as well.

We looked at a place in Ellicottville several years ago. Also in Penn Yan, Canadaigua, Mumford and Geneseo.

Most of the questions you ask have already been asked here and could be found by doing a search. Don't want to be abrupt...but most of us don't have time to repost everything we have said in the past. If there are others here who want to answer your questions again, I am sure they will. Good luck..
Your abruptness is duely noted. You always have the option of not reading my questions and not responding. So far questions I have asked have been responded to with many different veiw points which is the idea of having a forum of this nature. This site, I believe is for aspiring innkeepers as well as established ones.
I have attended classes and read many books on the subject. But practical advice and more than one point of veiw is invaluable.
My reason for starting one started approx. 20 yrs ago. I have an ideal location, have catered large parties of well over 100 guests at a time.
My current situation of being located 1/3 mile off the road and the golfcourse not allowing the school bus to drive down anymore inhibits my ability to rent to people with children.
Then when you rent, I do a month to month, you may not always "like" the people and you are stuck until you give them a notice to leave. Also, tenants who live here many years begin to lose boundaries as feeling they own the property.
A B&B has different people coming and going all of the time. I can be pleasant to the most rude people knowing that soon they will be gone. Learned this as a bill collector for a trucking company and having worked as an electrician for 20+ years in a factory at one time employed over 15,000 people.
Unfortunately I developed bilateral carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve problems and will need a joint replacement in my thumb. So far I have indured 2 back surgeries, the last being a spinal fusion and may be facing a 3rd. surgery. I am now on SSD.
I need to be able to increase revenue. I enjoy cooking and can do so as it is not necessary to stand the entire time while I am doing it.
I don't think I need to explain these things to you and yes, each B&B will be different. I am sure mine will also.
Thank you,
Colleen
Colleen848 said:
This beauty of this site is that the regulars are here (it's like Cheers- where everybody knows your name) and the newbies are here. We have over 1000 people on this site- many of whom are too nervous to post anything becuase they are half afraid to get slammed by a small percentage of the regulars for asking questions that have been touched upon 6 months or 4 yrs ago- common answer to a newbie's question is to "Just go search for it. We've already covered it." Blah, blah, blah.
The only dumb question is an unasked one. The group of people here changes, so therefore the answers will change. Ask away- that's what it's here for.

Hello! Don't take this the wrong way. The best thing you can do with your new vac is sell it. We tried this and it is a cool idea. It's fin to watch, but doesn't do a good job at all. Trust me!

Thank you,
Colleen
Colleen848 said:
This beauty of this site is that the regulars are here (it's like Cheers- where everybody knows your name) and the newbies are here. We have over 1000 people on this site- many of whom are too nervous to post anything becuase they are half afraid to get slammed by a small percentage of the regulars for asking questions that have been touched upon 6 months or 4 yrs ago- common answer to a newbie's question is to "Just go search for it. We've already covered it." Blah, blah, blah.
The only dumb question is an unasked one. The group of people here changes, so therefore the answers will change. Ask away- that's what it's here for.
Also, it's not just answering the same question over and over when a little search would show someone else asking the question and getting an answer, it's that some newbies don't do any research first. They find a 'resource' and milk it dry without contributing a thing.
It's always nice when joining a new group to share a little. 'Hi, I just found you and this seems like exactly what I need. I wanted to share with you something I found as well...'
Give and take.
When we get takers here we get grumpy. We all of us work very hard for our businesses and we'd like a little respect for that. And we'd like a little sharing. Even if it is just a simple thank you when questions are answered.
I will say that Colleen's jumping in with a million questions and then saying she'd never even stayed at a B&B but thought it would be easier than renting apts did bother a few people. Never downgrade what some people are doing for a living and expect them to roll over and play dead. For many, this is a 16 hour/day job. If you've never even stayed at a B&B, of course you have questions! Which is why a little personal research (and vacation!) is a great idea. (We're going to stay at a B&B I have always liked the looks of. Hope it lives up to the hype! DH wants to stay at a $59/night motel but I'm pulling rank!) We'll be about 2 hours from Colleen, so I'll report back and maybe she can take a little break and have a look see.
You're right, there are over 1000 user names registered here. (Altho, truth be told a very large percentage are spammers who have been blocked. See what fame and fortune bring?
wink_smile.gif
)
I've always been a jump first and think later kind of person so I jumped right in to my first forum without an intro, holy cow! Singed but not burnt to a crisp, I just came right back and showed my chops. Sure the regulars questioned my business acumen, but I was able to show that I belonged. BY SHARING. Not by taking all the time.
Here's how I do XYZ. Do you find that works for you?

Thank you,
Colleen
Colleen848 said:
Also, it's not just answering the same question over and over when a little search would show someone else asking the question and getting an answer, it's that some newbies don't do any research first. They find a 'resource' and milk it dry without contributing a thing.
It's always nice when joining a new group to share a little. 'Hi, I just found you and this seems like exactly what I need. I wanted to share with you something I found as well...'
Give and take.
When we get takers here we get grumpy. We all of us work very hard for our businesses and we'd like a little respect for that. And we'd like a little sharing. Even if it is just a simple thank you when questions are answered.
I will say that Colleen's jumping in with a million questions and then saying she'd never even stayed at a B&B but thought it would be easier than renting apts did bother a few people. Never downgrade what some people are doing for a living and expect them to roll over and play dead. For many, this is a 16 hour/day job. If you've never even stayed at a B&B, of course you have questions! Which is why a little personal research (and vacation!) is a great idea. (We're going to stay at a B&B I have always liked the looks of. Hope it lives up to the hype! DH wants to stay at a $59/night motel but I'm pulling rank!) We'll be about 2 hours from Colleen, so I'll report back and maybe she can take a little break and have a look see.
You're right, there are over 1000 user names registered here. (Altho, truth be told a very large percentage are spammers who have been blocked. See what fame and fortune bring?
wink_smile.gif
)
I've always been a jump first and think later kind of person so I jumped right in to my first forum without an intro, holy cow! Singed but not burnt to a crisp, I just came right back and showed my chops. Sure the regulars questioned my business acumen, but I was able to show that I belonged. BY SHARING. Not by taking all the time.
I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. I did not mean to "down grade" what you are doing. I believe I explained this had been a dream of mine for 20 yrs. and due to circumstances beyond my control, renting out apts. has become difficult. Please do not down grade landlords either as they also deal with alot.
I am also aware of the fact that if I were not on disability now there is no way I could follow this dream as to me it seems to be a 24/7. I am also single so I have no "help". Hats off to everyone here and all of your efforts. You are the people who made B&B's popular!
I think I have shared alot about myself and am sorry I can not contribute at this time as to what works for me as I have not actually opened yet.
I believe I have thanked many people for their response and also acknowledged the different points of view which I find invaluable.
Guess I have been singed too. When I have something I can contribute I try. Maybe it is only a suggestion or something I have seen at a store.
To all I have offended, I am sorry. It was not intended that way. Guess that's why I hate text messaging vs. talking on the phone. There is no inflection in the voice and can often be misconstrued.

Thank you,
Colleen
Colleen848 said:
Give and take.
wink_smile.gif
)
Madeleine said:
You're right, there are over 1000 user names registered here. (Altho, truth be told a very large percentage are spammers who have been blocked.
Where do y'all find out info like that? I've been here a couple of years and apparently haven't explored the site well at all. Is there a registered user list here somewhere? Does it show who has been blocked?
I occasionally think of an old timer who has disappeared from here and wish I could look up the last time they posted and see if they gave us a goodbye or something. I hate it when I realize, where is old so-and-so? Haven't heard from her in ages. Wonder what happened.

Hello! Don't take this the wrong way. The best thing you can do with your new vac is sell it. We tried this and it is a cool idea. It's fin to watch, but doesn't do a good job at all. Trust me!
Came so close to buying one since I hate vacuuming, but after months of research decided a good old broom and swiffer were going to be much more effective. An older friend of mine got one for the holidays this year, she returned it in two weeks. Worthless. My vote for what it's worth is spend your money on a chambermaid if you can't do the floors yourself.

Back