Incredible Shrinking Food - Grocery Shrink Ray

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Ya'll remember my chicken noodle soup with no noodles? Here we sit kids and all with grilled cheese and chicken-less chicjen-noodle soup.
My pack of 10 tortillas with only 8 so it was not enough for the meal I just went and bought all the ingredients for? My pet Ritz pie crusts that do not reach the edge therefore have no crust? The guest one dozen red long stemmed roses that had only 11 when I placed them in the vase?
I can go on and on about how we as consumers are getting the shaft. Things are smaller by NO COINCIDENCE. They are missing pieces parts and ingredients to save these companies millions!!!
There was a blog article written about this and this and then another link you will find interesting. Those who buy bottled water that now has longer necks? Wrong, less water, Tropicana is less oz than before etc etc.
I suppose we are not to notice any of this. But dang it, we do!

Every 5th box is pure profit if they short them all. Then there's all the 'non-food' junk that goes into food. HFCS instead of plain old sugar. Peanut oil in cashews. (Not to say peanut oil isn't a food, but why is it in cashews?)
You do get the weird ones, tho...

I just noticed that the toliet paper brand I buy has in the past year reduced 1st reduced the size of each square, then 2nd they reduced the sq. foot on each roll. And they still are comparing their 1 big roll is = to 2 of the normal rolls. Give me a break!

Eggs...don't they seem to be getting smaller? Jumbos are the size of large eggs & large eggs are the size that medium eggs used to be, for example. Seems like it to me anyway!

Eggs...don't they seem to be getting smaller? Jumbos are the size of large eggs & large eggs are the size that medium eggs used to be, for example. Seems like it to me anyway!.
Samster said:
Eggs...don't they seem to be getting smaller? Jumbos are the size of large eggs & large eggs are the size that medium eggs used to be, for example. Seems like it to me anyway!
Once again, I cooked some eggs last night and in my xl eggs there were two smaller eggs. I remember that being so regulated. This is what I mean. The eggs ARE smaller, and then they sneak small ones in there as well.

Eggs...don't they seem to be getting smaller? Jumbos are the size of large eggs & large eggs are the size that medium eggs used to be, for example. Seems like it to me anyway!.
Samster said:
Once again, I cooked some eggs last night and in my xl eggs there were two smaller eggs. I remember that being so regulated. This is what I mean. The eggs ARE smaller, and then they sneak small ones in there as well.
I believe it is supposed to be the gross weight of the dozen eggs - so the carton of XL total weight is more than the total weight of the L etc. It still stinks! If I am paying for larger eggs, I want ALL the eggs in that carton to be larger. (Possibility - have you noticed how people trade eggs in a carton? If I have gone through a mess of egg cartons looking for one with no broken eggs, I admit to getting disgusted and trading a broken in one carton for a good one from a carton of otherwise wounded eggs. When the stores do a repack, they are supposed to use a carton that states REPACKED and it is usually a different color to make it obvious.

I am not sure how the eggs are sized but have caught both grocery workers and customers switching out eggs - some more careful than others in keeping to the same size. On this subject, once I was told by a grocery worker that he caught a customer switching ALL the eggs -meds for Xlg. I was appalled at such lengths some will go to to save a few cents.

I am not sure how the eggs are sized but have caught both grocery workers and customers switching out eggs - some more careful than others in keeping to the same size. On this subject, once I was told by a grocery worker that he caught a customer switching ALL the eggs -meds for Xlg. I was appalled at such lengths some will go to to save a few cents..
Copperhead said:
I was told by a grocery worker that he caught a customer switching ALL the eggs -meds for Xlg. I was appalled at such lengths some will go to to save a few cents.
That's not saving a few cents. That's stealing.
angry_smile.gif

=/
Kk.

I check each carton of eggs before they go in the cart. Almost always there is a carton open with broken or cracked eggs. I switch out a cracked egg and leave the carton open with cracked eggs. But always in the same size. Switching out other size is stealing.
This morning I was buying plywood at 7am. Loaded 2 in the cart off the 3/4 size. Got to the front and 1 was 3/4 and one was 5/8. someone had moved it to the 3/4 stack. Had to go back and unload 5/8 and load 3/4. Took more time and energy.
People are just plain rude.

DW just bought orange juice that used to be half gallon (64 Fl oz) now 59 Fl oz. The package claims it is an easier to pour container :( The new Bryers ice cream containers (the first to go sub-half gallon) have just downsized again.

DW just bought orange juice that used to be half gallon (64 Fl oz) now 59 Fl oz. The package claims it is an easier to pour container :( The new Bryers ice cream containers (the first to go sub-half gallon) have just downsized again..
way way way long time ago ... coffee used to come in pound cans, then it was downsized to 13 ounces. do you remember this?
i just noticed the orange juice that i thought was a gallon is not ...
instead of upping the price (for now) they make the amount smaller. what bugs me is when the packaging makes it LOOK like it's the same amount. grrrrrrrr
i saw a restaurant show, did we talk about this? strategy calls for using slightly smaller plates and HEAVIER forks in restaurants so folks feel they are getting more food for the money.

DW just bought orange juice that used to be half gallon (64 Fl oz) now 59 Fl oz. The package claims it is an easier to pour container :( The new Bryers ice cream containers (the first to go sub-half gallon) have just downsized again..
way way way long time ago ... coffee used to come in pound cans, then it was downsized to 13 ounces. do you remember this?
instead of upping the price (for now) they make the amount smaller. what bugs me is when the packaging makes it LOOK like it's the same amount. grrrrrrrr
i saw a restaurant show, did we talk about this? strategy calls for using slightly smaller plates and HEAVIER forks in restaurants so folks feel they are getting more food for the money.
seashanty said:
I am all about plating stuff by plate shapes and size.
Example - I had these little indiv hashbrowns, real cute little seasoned hashed potatoes. Well you should only get three to look the part. If you get FOUR on your plate then it looks like little weenie potatoes and we're being chintzy, but three makes it look purposeful. So i only serve 3 per person. They fill out their section of the plate nicely.
I serve food sectioned in thirds mostly. Never going to the edge of the plate. DH still doesn't get it. The center of the plate is where the food goes, not along the rim (you know some plates with wide rims).
When I put a plate of brownies out in the afternoon, I use my square plate that is actually too small for them (or just right) so it looks like a big heap of brownies. If I put them out on a large plate, people don't seem to take them (like someone will notice or something).
There is an art and technique to it. I love learning things like that. Using a few specks of chopped parsley fills out that voided outside rim of the plate as well.

seashanty said:
I am all about plating stuff by plate shapes and size.
Example - I had these little indiv hashbrowns, real cute little seasoned hashed potatoes. Well you should only get three to look the part. If you get FOUR on your plate then it looks like little weenie potatoes and we're being chintzy, but three makes it look purposeful. So i only serve 3 per person. They fill out their section of the plate nicely.
I serve food sectioned in thirds mostly. Never going to the edge of the plate. DH still doesn't get it. The center of the plate is where the food goes, not along the rim (you know some plates with wide rims).
When I put a plate of brownies out in the afternoon, I use my square plate that is actually too small for them (or just right) so it looks like a big heap of brownies. If I put them out on a large plate, people don't seem to take them (like someone will notice or something).
There is an art and technique to it. I love learning things like that. Using a few specks of chopped parsley fills out that voided outside rim of the plate as well.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I love my powdered sugar shaker!

Back