Industry Data

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russyoung2001

Reaction score
I am considering getting into the B&B business, and am attempting to put together a business plan. Would someone be able to direct me to recent industry trends and statistics that I don't have to pay for? It seems these are pretty hard to find in any detail online, but am hopeful someone can offer me other possibilities. Thank you in advance!

Your city, county, or state association might be able to help with free info. It would be more in line with what you might expect in your area than national trends might be.

Your city, county, or state association might be able to help with free info. It would be more in line with what you might expect in your area than national trends might be..
Thank you, Morticia.
I appreciate the feedback. I have attempted to contact our state association, but I was also hoping for one or more other sources. It just seems like each site I've come upon has required $$ to get a copy of its report.

Trends may be hard to apply to an individual business opportunity. Success is strongly based on location and type of market attracted to it, and, in recent years, the degree to which locals perceiving that market have hopped on the Airbnb and HomeAway magic carpet to riches.

Your city, county, or state association might be able to help with free info. It would be more in line with what you might expect in your area than national trends might be..
Thank you, Morticia.
I appreciate the feedback. I have attempted to contact our state association, but I was also hoping for one or more other sources. It just seems like each site I've come upon has required $$ to get a copy of its report.
russyoung2001 said:
Thank you, Morticia.
That's because compiling the data costs money. Someone has to devise the survey, get it out there, harass people to fill it out, compile the data when it comes in, make the charts, get it into a format everyone can use.
Keep in mind that national data from surveys will be from people who had time, were doing well, and may not be exactly verified.

Perhaps if you shared the type of information you desired or the use of that information it might be helpful.
Years ago the business department at our local university was helpful in creating a business plan for me, perhaps that would be a place for you to ask for information and assistance, on the other hand around that same time my banker was pretty straight forward in saying that what mattered to him was "how much money/assets I had, and what prior business success I could show him", what I MIGHT do in the future wasn't going to get me any money.

Back