Industry rate?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Do you give large discounts to travel agents on vacation? I am assuming that is what is meant by 'industry rate'. Is there some sort of standard? ie- 50% off, winter rates for summer stays?
I was just asked for an industry rate by someone claiming to be a travel agent. When I said I didn't know what she meant she got all huffy with me. So, curious about what anyone else understands that to be.

Went looking for info and the 'industry rate' varies from 50% to 75% off at HOTELS. Yeah, so when you can book the other 499 rooms at close to 100%, what's one room at 75% off.

No, a travel agent should know better than to ask a b&b for a discount. Just trying to take advantage.

It would be a different story if it's someone you know, and that you know will be sending you some business. But this sounds like someone, either a real agent or not, trying to get a cheaper vacation at your expense. Did she offer any proof of her position?
When I said I didn't know what she meant she got all huffy with me.Doesn't sound like a real professional to me. Sounds like someone pressing their scam in a last-ditch effort to get success.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, I know. Easy for ME to say.

Do give discounts to reporters and magazine writers, especially if they are writing about your area.

No, a travel agent should know better than to ask a b&b for a discount. Just trying to take advantage..
Don Draper said:
No, a travel agent should know better than to ask a b&b for a discount. Just trying to take advantage.
Why do you say that, because this is such a small biz? Or the margins are tighter? AAA agents always ask for a discount. But, only 10%, not this 75% I read about.

Do give discounts to reporters and magazine writers, especially if they are writing about your area..
Proud Texan said:
Do give discounts to reporters and magazine writers, especially if they are writing about your area.
We have only found out we had reporters & magazine writers by looking at their email addys. None of them have ever asked for a discount.

It would be a different story if it's someone you know, and that you know will be sending you some business. But this sounds like someone, either a real agent or not, trying to get a cheaper vacation at your expense. Did she offer any proof of her position?
When I said I didn't know what she meant she got all huffy with me.Doesn't sound like a real professional to me. Sounds like someone pressing their scam in a last-ditch effort to get success.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, I know. Easy for ME to say..
She was on the phone so I didn't ask for proof like an IATA number. There were other issues so they sounded like a high maintenance stay, why discount for that!

I would do one if it was an agency I used and got a lot of business from ie we use one that operates out of a town about 30 miles away if they wanted a night out here I would do a good deal but otherwise you get absolutely no return. Big places do it but frankly I didn't see any return there either people use travel agents less and less these days.

Is there any licensing required to be a "travel agent" or can anyone hang out their shingle and become one? We have had a couple of challenging bookings through a travel agent.....

No, a travel agent should know better than to ask a b&b for a discount. Just trying to take advantage..
Don Draper said:
Why do you say that, because this is such a small biz? Or the margins are tighter? AAA agents always ask for a discount. But, only 10%, not this 75% I read about.
Because we have so few rooms. The only reason they get such a large discount at hotels is because the rooms would likely be empty, not the case for b&b's.

Travel agents get large discounts at hotels because they send them a large number of guests, and usually the TA companies have nice contracts with the large hotel chains as well.
The only time I would discount is if they personally sent be group tours or the such.... period!
As for writers, I have been told by large magazine writers that IF a writer is truely professional, they would never ask you for a discount, or comp stay - especially if they plan on writing an article about your B&B. That is considered paying for the article or an AD. Sorry!

Went looking for info and the 'industry rate' varies from 50% to 75% off at HOTELS. Yeah, so when you can book the other 499 rooms at close to 100%, what's one room at 75% off..
I know what the "break even" rate was for the big chain I used to work for. I would not open my door and say hello for that rate! That is why hotels can give that much of a discount.

They want a freebie or huge discount. And they won't send any business. What I would tell them is they pay the regular rate, and will receive their discount i the form of a check mailed to them when they send any business your way after their stay.
The internet is doing far more than any travel agent would do. Plus, when they send a booking you have to pay a commission!
RIki

Back