iNeedHelp

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
What are some recommendations on these iPod docking stations? I ran across this thing called iHome combo clock radio and docking station that works with iPod and iPhone, plays the music over stereo speakers and all, but they have so many models available I could never decide. Anybody like theirs? (I tried to search the board but didn't find much.)

Arkansawyer said:
What are some recommendations on these iPod docking stations? I ran across this thing called iHome combo clock radio and docking station that works with iPod and iPhone, plays the music over stereo speakers and all, but they have so many models available I could never decide. Anybody like theirs? (I tried to search the board but didn't find much.)
Oh, thank you for this post. I was just looking at some yesterday, too, and was planning to ask pretty much the same question, because iNeed Help too! Im interested in sound quality of the speakers, as well as (and this is HUGELY important) I need alarm clocks that are absolutely idiot-proof for setting AND unsetting.

Arkansawyer said:
Oh, thank you for this post. I was just looking at some yesterday, too, and was planning to ask pretty much the same question, because iNeed Help too! Im interested in sound quality of the speakers, as well as (and this is HUGELY important) I need alarm clocks that are absolutely idiot-proof for setting AND unsetting..
InnBloom said:
...(and this is HUGELY important) I need alarm clocks that are absolutely idiot-proof for setting AND unsetting.
Absolutely! Along this line, I've stayed in places where the staff left the alarm set as the previous guest had it. No fun to have those things go off at 6 a.m. if you hadn't even noticed the room HAD a clock radio!

If these are the ones that glow blue, don't get them. It's like being inside an ice cube all night. The light is unrelenting. I've had to push them under the bed to get some sleep.

We have them, but we just go tthe smallish version that's a combination alarm clock. When setting them up, I tried my iPod in there and was amazed at the sound quality. I'm so jealous. I've dropped tons of hints, but the innkeeper does without....
Anyway, I'm not sure anyone (but me) ever actually uses the dock, but I know people use the alarms.
We have a couple with the ice-blue light, but they have a switch where it can be turned off. I leave it off.

If these are the ones that glow blue, don't get them. It's like being inside an ice cube all night. The light is unrelenting. I've had to push them under the bed to get some sleep..
Madeleine said:
If these are the ones that glow blue, don't get them. It's like being inside an ice cube all night. The light is unrelenting. I've had to push them under the bed to get some sleep.
Yes, that's a big drawback of some clock radios. They can be brighter than a nightlight, and I like a totally dark bedroom. But that's why the bed has those little throw pillows on it. Just throw one over the clock!

We have the Sony dual clock radio with cd player and Ipod dock. We stock the CD player with an ambient noise CD. It does have a bright light on the alarm, with a dimmer setting, but I don't think it can be turned off. They are not super simple to set but they are easy to see if they are left on by a guest and turned off by me. I don't think a lot of people use the ipod dock but some do. We get an occasional request to show them how to set it, but otherwise no complaints. Lots of people just use their cell phone alarms, which makes me think there should be a better alternative, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

We have thought about this a number of times. Here's my problem with it...
1. They need to have a choice of buzzer, radio or ipod, because not everyone has an ipod, they need to be functional for others.
2. They should have a headphone jack 3.5mm, because not everyone uses an ipod/iphone. (To be honest, our MP3 player is Creative Labs and my mobile is Samsung.) And nope... not interested in going Apple.
Sony has a number of these units as well. Been looking at Sony's ICFC707, which has an 3.5mm jack, but the large displays on these units are what I'm afraid of. I have enough guests who unplug the alarms because of the light.
I've been really tempted by the Sony Dash (HID-C10) which connects on wifi. Essentially a Sony version of the Chumby. 7" touch screen. The new version is the Chumby 8. But I constantly worry about guests not being able to handle technology.

We have the Sony dual clock radio with cd player and Ipod dock. We stock the CD player with an ambient noise CD. It does have a bright light on the alarm, with a dimmer setting, but I don't think it can be turned off. They are not super simple to set but they are easy to see if they are left on by a guest and turned off by me. I don't think a lot of people use the ipod dock but some do. We get an occasional request to show them how to set it, but otherwise no complaints. Lots of people just use their cell phone alarms, which makes me think there should be a better alternative, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet..
Yes, I always use my iPhone alarm to get me up when I travel. I know how to use it, and don't have to learn to use a strange (to me) alarm where I'm staying. But not everybody has their own device, so having the clock radio would help a few folks, and save me from having to give wakeup calls!
I suspect the iPod dock might be really important to people who forget their charger, since it also charges your device.

We have the Sony dual clock radio with cd player and Ipod dock. We stock the CD player with an ambient noise CD. It does have a bright light on the alarm, with a dimmer setting, but I don't think it can be turned off. They are not super simple to set but they are easy to see if they are left on by a guest and turned off by me. I don't think a lot of people use the ipod dock but some do. We get an occasional request to show them how to set it, but otherwise no complaints. Lots of people just use their cell phone alarms, which makes me think there should be a better alternative, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet..
Yes, I always use my iPhone alarm to get me up when I travel. I know how to use it, and don't have to learn to use a strange (to me) alarm where I'm staying. But not everybody has their own device, so having the clock radio would help a few folks, and save me from having to give wakeup calls!
I suspect the iPod dock might be really important to people who forget their charger, since it also charges your device.
I must confess that although I have purchased three different models of docks, I cound not set the alarm on any of them. I am not a technological idiot, but the small compact models all seem to have multiple functions with few buttons. I even have one in my bedroom that I use for the speaker that I can't set for an alarm. What I eventually decided to do was to keep the clock radios that I've always had, and put an unplugged dock in each room along with the instructions so that the guests who are young enough to understand the directions can use the docks.

People put our little "Thank you for not smoking" over the digital display oftentimes. Glad I could assist!
Ya know this late in the game, meaning technology and the way it rolls away before you can cut your teeth in it, I would wait. If it were me, I would wait and see what is around the corner, because there is something around that corner. For stocking the room I would add a regular alarm clock. BTW I never buy the auto set alarm clocks, and every time there is a power flash I have 8 to reset, I wish I had! That is my 2 cents.

If these are the ones that glow blue, don't get them. It's like being inside an ice cube all night. The light is unrelenting. I've had to push them under the bed to get some sleep..
Madeleine said:
Yes, that's a big drawback of some clock radios. They can be brighter than a nightlight, and I like a totally dark bedroom. But that's why the bed has those little throw pillows on it. Just throw one over the clock!
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Towels work well, too, and they drape. The throw pillows let the light seep out.

People put our little "Thank you for not smoking" over the digital display oftentimes. Glad I could assist!
Ya know this late in the game, meaning technology and the way it rolls away before you can cut your teeth in it, I would wait. If it were me, I would wait and see what is around the corner, because there is something around that corner. For stocking the room I would add a regular alarm clock. BTW I never buy the auto set alarm clocks, and every time there is a power flash I have 8 to reset, I wish I had! That is my 2 cents..
We have plain vanilla alarm clocks. So old it's a wonder they arent' the mechanical digital ones! And, yes, when the power blips it's a run around the house to reset them all.

Ya know this late in the game, meaning technology and the way it rolls away before you can cut your teeth in it, I would wait. If it were me, I would wait and see what is around the corner, because there is something around that corner. For stocking the room I would add a regular alarm clock. BTW I never buy the auto set alarm clocks, and every time there is a power flash I have 8 to reset, I wish I had! That is my 2 cents..
Joey Bloggs said:
For stocking the room I would add a regular alarm clock. BTW I never buy the auto set alarm clocks, and every time there is a power flash I have 8 to reset, I wish I had! That is my 2 cents.
The Sonys do reset automatically after a power blip, after being unplugged, and when the time changes. But I think I agree with you - I might next time go for a simple alarm clock - maybe even just on request, since so many people use their cell phones - and a player of some kind.

Very helpful responses. Seems like we've found the only area of innkeeping that hasn't been perfected ;-)

We have the Homedics SoundSpa Fusion Clock Radio in each room. It has ipod dock that charges while it plays, a cord to attach non-ipod players, several alarm options, as well as 6 nature sounds ... Most guests comment that they loved it ... We got them at Bed Bath and Beyond for somewhere around $50. (They do not themselves after power failure - that would be nice)
These also have feature to brighten / dim / or extinguish the backlight on the display and comes with a few interchangeable faceplates (black, silver, white, and I think maybe blue(?))

I use the same one I have in all the rooms in the dining room with an ipod to play my B&B playlist of 12+ hours of tunes.

Back