Inn at Walnut Bottom closing; owners cite local tourism practices

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Inn is not very far away from us - we often get bicyclists who have stayed there on their way to DC stopping at our place, also. That's an interesting comment about the resort dropping their prices. That has also happened here, to a lesser extent. The independent hotel near us dropped their weekday rate to $69 during November and December. It didn't really seem to hurt us but it has me concerned for the future.

This Inn is not very far away from us - we often get bicyclists who have stayed there on their way to DC stopping at our place, also. That's an interesting comment about the resort dropping their prices. That has also happened here, to a lesser extent. The independent hotel near us dropped their weekday rate to $69 during November and December. It didn't really seem to hurt us but it has me concerned for the future..
I certainly know ow they feel, altho I can't blame the gov't. Hotel prices here drop significantly as soon as Columbus Day passes. Most of them drop around $100/night. Not TO $100, but $100 off.
And ol' Mr Shatner isn't helping us any with that new commercial where he argues 50% off his room rate standing at the front desk of the hotel by saying, 'You know you're still making money and it's better to have the room rented than not, isn't it?' And that's going from $130 to $65. Like I need this.

This Inn is not very far away from us - we often get bicyclists who have stayed there on their way to DC stopping at our place, also. That's an interesting comment about the resort dropping their prices. That has also happened here, to a lesser extent. The independent hotel near us dropped their weekday rate to $69 during November and December. It didn't really seem to hurt us but it has me concerned for the future..
I certainly know ow they feel, altho I can't blame the gov't. Hotel prices here drop significantly as soon as Columbus Day passes. Most of them drop around $100/night. Not TO $100, but $100 off.
And ol' Mr Shatner isn't helping us any with that new commercial where he argues 50% off his room rate standing at the front desk of the hotel by saying, 'You know you're still making money and it's better to have the room rented than not, isn't it?' And that's going from $130 to $65. Like I need this.
Morticia said:
And ol' Mr Shatner isn't helping us any with that new commercial where he argues 50% off...
I was just watching that commercial last night thinking the same thing. No wonder some bozo can ring my front doorbell and tell me he wants a room for $50 a night. I love Bill but not this commercial so much.
I wasn't entirely sure what the point of blaming the government was either - probably their political bent. P.S. not asking for any one to explain to me why the government is at fault - I'm pretty familiar with the general political atmosphere of that part of Maryland and I'm not raising the question.

Morticia said:
And ol' Mr Shatner isn't helping us any with that new commercial where he argues 50% off...
I was just watching that commercial last night thinking the same thing. No wonder some bozo can ring my front doorbell and tell me he wants a room for $50 a night. I love Bill but not this commercial so much.
I wasn't entirely sure what the point of blaming the government was either - probably their political bent. P.S. not asking for any one to explain to me why the government is at fault - I'm pretty familiar with the general political atmosphere of that part of Maryland and I'm not raising the question.
I suppose I could blame the local gov't for allowing a 100 room hotel to be built in the middle of town. The town ordinance was such that NO hotels could be built in the historic corridor. This one razed 3-5 homes for their parking lot. But, they preserved the old town hall from demo and THAT'S what got them the permit.

Morticia said:
I wasn't entirely sure what the point of blaming the government was either
Not 'splaining 'cause I do not know. My thought was perhaps it was like the problem you have with the bed tax - you have it and a mile away they don't. 3% to 6% difference in price right there. I know I love being able to say I am only 6% tax - no bed tax.

Morticia said:
Not 'splaining 'cause I do not know. My thought was perhaps it was like the problem you have with the bed tax - you have it and a mile away they don't. 3% to 6% difference in price right there. I know I love being able to say I am only 6% tax - no bed tax.
I don't have that problem with the bed tax. The whole county is at 6% with a total of 12%; across the border in Maryland the breakdown may be a little different but their total tax is 11% or 12%. No guests blinked when our tax went up.
I can only imagine that they don't like Rocky Gap because it's a state park with a lodge. Like Cacapon to Berkeley Springs.

Morticia said:
I don't have that problem with the bed tax. The whole county is at 6% with a total of 12%; across the border in Maryland the breakdown may be a little different but their total tax is 11% or 12%. No guests blinked when our tax went up.
I can only imagine that they don't like Rocky Gap because it's a state park with a lodge. Like Cacapon to Berkeley Springs.
I get to contend with Stonewall touting a bed & breakfast package. Tygartt does not do as much advertising.

Morticia said:
I get to contend with Stonewall touting a bed & breakfast package. Tygartt does not do as much advertising.
This weekend in the Washington Post there is going to be an article about five getaways to B&Bs. They include the B avarian I nn as a B&B. You only get breakfast with an add-on package there. Plus they have 72 rooms. Oy...

Back