Inn being sued

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Did anyone see this?
Wildflower Inn Sued Over Refusal to Host Gay Wedding
http://abcnews.go.com/US/vermont-inn-sued-refusal-host-gay-couples-wedding/story?id=14110076

think some people are fishing for law suits so you have to be on your guard.

all the big hotels round here fight fiercly for the Pink pound - does anyone remember there was a jehovas whitness place that said no unmarried couples gay or otherwise? all over their web site felt that was a law suit waiting to happen.

all the big hotels round here fight fiercly for the Pink pound - does anyone remember there was a jehovas whitness place that said no unmarried couples gay or otherwise? all over their web site felt that was a law suit waiting to happen..
all the big hotels round here fight fiercly for the Pink pound - does anyone remember there was a jehovas whitness place that said no unmarried couples gay or otherwise? all over their web site felt that was a law suit waiting to happen.
Over here pink is for breast cancer awareness. Tons of merchandise is branded pink. Even football cleats.

all the big hotels round here fight fiercly for the Pink pound - does anyone remember there was a jehovas whitness place that said no unmarried couples gay or otherwise? all over their web site felt that was a law suit waiting to happen..
Over here pink is for breast cancer awareness. Tons of merchandise is branded pink. Even football cleats.
Alibi Ike said:
And for some ludicrous reason, garbage containers!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

think some people are fishing for law suits so you have to be on your guard..
That may be true. But I certainly didn't get that sense from this news article in this case. It sounds to me like a case of a young couple who believe their rights were violated, and B&B owners who feel they want to decide who to allow in their home--but the home is a business which raises different issues. It's very interesting.

That may be true. But I certainly didn't get that sense from this news article in this case. It sounds to me like a case of a young couple who believe their rights were violated, and B&B owners who feel they want to decide who to allow in their home--but the home is a business which raises different issues. It's very interesting.
we had a case of two gay men who booked a double when they came the B&B owners said they would only take them in a twin (cos that would stop the sex?) they fought the case of discrimination as they were turned away and won so now no B&B. guest house or hotel in the UK can turn you away on that basis whether its your home or not thats the law.

we had a case of two gay men who booked a double when they came the B&B owners said they would only take them in a twin (cos that would stop the sex?) they fought the case of discrimination as they were turned away and won so now no B&B. guest house or hotel in the UK can turn you away on that basis whether its your home or not thats the law.
From another thread:
23. "My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

How horrible for this couple, the article should have given a little free PR to the place where they decided to have the wedding.

Alibi Ike said:

I WANT a pink garbage container! I love Pink and I like being different - no one else in the neighborhood has one, but I don't know how to go about getting one!

From another thread:
23. "My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."
Alibi Ike said:
From another thread:
wink_smile.gif
some people have such a sense of humor! in my opinion, a great inn response would be to suggest they come back for a babymoon before the big event.

Alibi Ike said:

I WANT a pink garbage container! I love Pink and I like being different - no one else in the neighborhood has one, but I don't know how to go about getting one!
suellen222 said:
http://thepinkcart.com/get-a-pink-cart/

so sorry this is happening to your inn. I hope your rights are protected as well.

I do believe the going colour over here is Purple. The Green Cat Guest House is a proud member of Purple Roofs.com a GLTB travel resource site. If you have an accommodations license from your state, it may be subject to US anti-discrimination laws, - The Fair Housing Act. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, or whether or not you like cats.

Alibi Ike said:

suellen222 said:
http://thepinkcart.com/get-a-pink-cart/
Thank you!!! Just found out my local Meijer store sells them and get this - they have ONE left!!!! I guess I am going to have to leave my nice cool house to get it.

Around here, wouldn't be the ACLU suing them, it would be the government. One couple in PEI lost a case years ago, they were offered a choice, stop discriminating or close. They closed. Frankly, it's none of my damn business who sleeps with who, just as long as they pay the bill and I don't want to know the particulars.

I am on the fence about this one (1) we are private establishments and have the right to refuse service to anyone (2) however their money is as green as anyone elses (3) the owners may have had a genuine concern as to how other guests would react which is understandable (although they list the reason for refusal as their "personal feelings").
But most importantly until the federal and state government recognizes gay marriage (which they should in my opinion), no individual business should be sued for refusal of service in this case. The "Law" and "government" can't have their cake and eat it too.

I am on the fence about this one (1) we are private establishments and have the right to refuse service to anyone (2) however their money is as green as anyone elses (3) the owners may have had a genuine concern as to how other guests would react which is understandable (although they list the reason for refusal as their "personal feelings").
But most importantly until the federal and state government recognizes gay marriage (which they should in my opinion), no individual business should be sued for refusal of service in this case. The "Law" and "government" can't have their cake and eat it too..
The reason they are being sued is because of the following laws...
"Vermont and federal law prohibit employment, housing or public accommodation discrimination or retaliation based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. Vermont law also prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, marital status, minor children, receipt of public assistance, HIV status, place of birth, and age over 18. It is also unlawful to retaliate or discriminate against individuals that have alleged discrimination." From www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/discrimination.php
I assume that they are "public accommodations" they are subject to the law and they cannot refuse service.
You can refuse service to anyone... just not based on any of the above reasons. And Vermont is one of the states that does recognize same-sex marriage. Started the 1st of September 2009. They were also the first state to introduce civil unions on the 1st of July 2000.

But most importantly until the federal and state government recognizes gay marriage (which they should in my opinion), no individual business should be sued for refusal of service in this case. The "Law" and "government" can't have their cake and eat it too..
The reason they are being sued is because of the following laws...
"Vermont and federal law prohibit employment, housing or public accommodation discrimination or retaliation based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. Vermont law also prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation, marital status, minor children, receipt of public assistance, HIV status, place of birth, and age over 18. It is also unlawful to retaliate or discriminate against individuals that have alleged discrimination." From www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/discrimination.php
I assume that they are "public accommodations" they are subject to the law and they cannot refuse service.
You can refuse service to anyone... just not based on any of the above reasons. And Vermont is one of the states that does recognize same-sex marriage. Started the 1st of September 2009. They were also the first state to introduce civil unions on the 1st of July 2000.
It is a state by state code, tho (other than the part you quoted that specifically states 'Federal'). Altho it applies in this instance, many owners on here are free to select who they want in their inn based on all of those VT criteria you quoted. (As the recent query on PAII indicated, refusing young children is not against many state regulations.)
A lot of B&B's let the guest self-select themselves in or out (or obstinately wave a 'sue me' flag at those looking for a test case) by the words they use or don't use.

Back