Inn for sale in Monterey CA

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I saw this inn for sale in Monterey CALF and clicked over to the website and saw "Guaranteed Room Upgrade When Available"
I find this interesting, your thoughts on this? Do you do this on a regular basis or marketed your rooms this way?

It's an interesting idea. Does it cause guests to book cheap and pray and then get upset when the fates are against them? Wondering out loud on that one.
And, then, as is always pointed out in re 'upgrades'- one person's upgrade is another one's lousy view.

I am following your thoughts on it, I had them myself. I can only assume upgrade is purely monetary.

I almost always offer an upgrade on arrival depending on what rooms I have available.
Bottom line - my rooms all "feel" so different. If they still love the room they chose - great. If they "upgrade" to a different room 9 times out of 10 they will book that room next time. So, I've lost no $$ by giving them an available room, they feel completely happy with their room, I make more $$ the next time they book because now they are hooked on the more expensive room AND last but not least, I've given them a sneak marketing tour of the inn.
I would never advertise it on my web site because that takes away the fun of the moment .... and also puts control back in my hands .... which rooms are actually ready, which rooms are heated, can I get away with only heating one side of the house.
I would rather surprise guests than raise expectations I may not be able to meet .....

I almost always offer an upgrade on arrival depending on what rooms I have available.
Bottom line - my rooms all "feel" so different. If they still love the room they chose - great. If they "upgrade" to a different room 9 times out of 10 they will book that room next time. So, I've lost no $$ by giving them an available room, they feel completely happy with their room, I make more $$ the next time they book because now they are hooked on the more expensive room AND last but not least, I've given them a sneak marketing tour of the inn.
I would never advertise it on my web site because that takes away the fun of the moment .... and also puts control back in my hands .... which rooms are actually ready, which rooms are heated, can I get away with only heating one side of the house.
I would rather surprise guests than raise expectations I may not be able to meet ......
The Tipsy Butler said:
I would rather surprise guests than raise expectations I may not be able to meet .....
Bingo!

But is it a surprise Tips, I mean do they realize the rooms you are offering are a HIGHER RENTAL value? (without spelling it out and making them think they have to pay extra etc).
I think it is an interesting concept. Back to the orig inn, say there are 6 rooms and 4 are $300, and 2 are $400 per night. Five rooms are booked for this weekend, who gets the upgrade? First in best dressed? Or the one staying two nights vs one night, or...NOT that room as then you can have another higher priced room open should you get a walk in.
I got a mailer today from a condo/hotel high-rise in myrtle beach sc, if I book a room NOW and PAY NOW I will save 25%.
Have any of you done this with your inns? Would this be a nonrefundable purchase or a higher cancellation fee should they cancel?
I am looking back to that thingy I posted about a call to action, frequent flyer miles need to be something NOW versus later in today's society.
What can we do to BOOK NOW with our guests? Is there an incentive to do so? Will it bring hardship later on with too many cancellations?

But is it a surprise Tips, I mean do they realize the rooms you are offering are a HIGHER RENTAL value? (without spelling it out and making them think they have to pay extra etc).
I think it is an interesting concept. Back to the orig inn, say there are 6 rooms and 4 are $300, and 2 are $400 per night. Five rooms are booked for this weekend, who gets the upgrade? First in best dressed? Or the one staying two nights vs one night, or...NOT that room as then you can have another higher priced room open should you get a walk in.
I got a mailer today from a condo/hotel high-rise in myrtle beach sc, if I book a room NOW and PAY NOW I will save 25%.
Have any of you done this with your inns? Would this be a nonrefundable purchase or a higher cancellation fee should they cancel?
I am looking back to that thingy I posted about a call to action, frequent flyer miles need to be something NOW versus later in today's society.
What can we do to BOOK NOW with our guests? Is there an incentive to do so? Will it bring hardship later on with too many cancellations?.
I think your $10 off gets them to book faster. However, you might ratchet that up with 'Reserve online NOW to save $10.' Make it sound like it's going away.
Given the number of blog posts on 'my Grandmother died and they still charged me for my non-refundable room', I'm thinking it's more trouble than it's worth for a small place to try to get in on the non-refundable game.

What can we do to BOOK NOW with our guests? Is there an incentive to do so? Will it bring hardship later on with too many cancellations?.
Joey Bloggs said:
OK - quote ends here, but I messed up the formatting somehow
It's only because I'm small and single-handed that I can do it. Sometimes that "upgrade" works in my favor. Yes - they do realize. I present it as a "I'd like to do this for you cos I can" deal and note "upgrade" (without a $$ amount) on their final invoice.

Since I only have 2 types of rooms, I would NEVER have that or any other promise on my web site that I could not guarantee happening every time. The whole idea of an upgrade (at leawst to me) is that it is a pleasant surprise "gift" and here it is usually one that is welcomed - unless the reservation was for "MY room".

It's an interesting idea. Does it cause guests to book cheap and pray and then get upset when the fates are against them? Wondering out loud on that one.
And, then, as is always pointed out in re 'upgrades'- one person's upgrade is another one's lousy view..
None of the rooms at that inn are "cheap". It's a very beautiful place. i've stayed there years ago & it's been improved upon quite a bit.
I'm sure that they're trying to cater to a certain crowd and offer something that you might find in a fine hotel.

Since I only have 2 types of rooms, I would NEVER have that or any other promise on my web site that I could not guarantee happening every time. The whole idea of an upgrade (at leawst to me) is that it is a pleasant surprise "gift" and here it is usually one that is welcomed - unless the reservation was for "MY room"..
Exactly. Couldn't do it if I was larger (the inn that is, not me)

Back