Inn Room Amenties

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. i appreciate extra pillows ~ i like at least 3, preferably 4 (and yes it's just me)
2. i require free wifi and a window that looks out to the yard, to the garden, to somewhere, even the building next door ... i stayed in a place that had a curtain but no window. it never occurred to me there was no window ~ i kept thinking, what if there is a fire?
3. optional items that are nice are a bathrobe and a desk with chair
4. nice surprise was chocolate and flowers.
seashanty said:
Hmm. Do you think guests like/need a bathrobe even with an en suite bathroom? You're in the cold North so I can see how that might be nice on a cold winter day, but in the South...not so much.
it's a 'like' .... in any weather.
visiting florida, very hot (to me 97 degrees is HOT) ...... i got out of the shower, into the robe, stayed in my robe a while, doing my hair, before getting dressed. yes! a definite like. they had thin robes.
in maine, i had terry 'spa' robes. but if i was buying them today i'd get thinner robes because of the drying time. it took ages for two of the heavy robes to dry.
seashanty said:
visiting florida, very hot (to me 97 degrees is HOT) ...... i got out of the shower, into the robe, stayed in my robe a while, doing my hair, before getting dressed. yes! a definite like. they had thin robes.
in maine, i had terry 'spa' robes. but if i was buying them today i'd get thinner robes because of the drying time. it took ages for two of the heavy robes to dry.
How do you size them? I'm a relatively big guy and my wife is diminutive. However, I've seen big gals with their little husbands or both of them big. You get my drift?
Because we started with 3/w shared I have always had robes. Started with 2 one-size fits all and my first "shake-down cruise" guest informed me - they DON'T! So I bought 2 3X for each room. All were terry. All were used a lot. EVEn after the private ensuite went in - the robes were used. Some even came down to breakfast in the robes.
Last year I up-graded to a nicer robe (a recent guest remarked how nice they are) and I have 2 XL and 1 xxl in each closet. I found even the small-size guests would bypass the smaller sized robes and opt for the 3X (and I am referring to people who would have been "swimming" in the one-size robes).
gillumhouse said:
Because we started with 3/w shared I have always had robes. Started with 2 one-size fits all and my first "shake-down cruise" guest informed me - they DON'T! So I bought 2 3X for each room. All were terry. All were used a lot. EVEn after the private ensuite went in - the robes were used. Some even came down to breakfast in the robes.
Last year I up-graded to a nicer robe (a recent guest remarked how nice they are) and I have 2 XL and 1 xxl in each closet. I found even the small-size guests would bypass the smaller sized robes and opt for the 3X (and I am referring to people who would have been "swimming" in the one-size robes).
I mentioned all of this to DW and she made a face. MORE LAUNDRY? I don't think she likes the idea.
Proud Texan said:
I mentioned all of this to DW and she made a face. MORE LAUNDRY? I don't think she likes the idea.
I didn't do it until we had a second dryer hooked up. I have the lighter waffle-knit - they really don't take that long to dry.
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
I didn't do it until we had a second dryer hooked up. I have the lighter waffle-knit - they really don't take that long to dry.
Yes, yes, yes for robes!
I just took a look at the new PAII industry study which found that 71.8% of the inns surveyed provide robes. That's up from 65.8% in 2006.
With that percentage, I would assume that most people who are repeat B&B goers consider it a standar amenity.
Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Yes, yes, yes for robes!
I just took a look at the new PAII industry study which found that 71.8% of the inns surveyed provide robes. That's up from 65.8% in 2006.
With that percentage, I would assume that most people who are repeat B&B goers consider it a standar amenity.
But, as our parents use to say, "Just because everyone else is jumping off a bridge, that doesn't mean you have to". Don't you think that this should be determined on a a case by case basis? I certainly don't expect a robe to be available when traveling. DW and I have stayed at a lot of B&Bs over the last 30 years and most have not had robes. When they did, we didn't bother with them.
I casually survey each of our guests to verify that their accommodations are comfortable and that they have everything that they need. Everyone is always very complimentary about the level of detail we've gone to to make sure that they are indeed comfortable. NOT ONCE has the issue of robes ever come up. I can see how some guest might like them, but I'm still not convinced.
Of course it needs to be on a case by case basis. But I don't think you can ignore the fact that most B&Bs offer them.
You say that you ask your guests about their level of service....I can't imagine that if I were a guest that I would ever tell an innkeeper I thought they should provide robes.
As far as trying to compare what B&Bs have offered in the last 30 years, this is a more recent trend. In the last 6 years you see more and more that robes are offered and frankly if any B&B is trying to create the special stay feel or pampering, then I think robes are part of that. We all keep saying we want to be different from hotels...this is one way to get our guests feeling that their stay was not like a hotel. It's the extra touches.
As far as adding to the laundry loads, you can get robes that are appropriate for you area. We use waffle weave spa robes with our logo embroidered on the breast. They wash and dry quickly and are extremely comfortable. We also sell quite a few of them at a 100% markup which helps reduce the price of each robe. We don't push the sale of them, we just have them on a shelf in our gift area. I sold 2 of them last week because our guests loved them and they wanted to be able to have their coffee at home in our robes to remember their stay with us. They become a momento.
Breakfast Diva said:
Of course it needs to be on a case by case basis. But I don't think you can ignore the fact that most B&Bs offer them.
You say that you ask your guests about their level of service....I can't imagine that if I were a guest that I would ever tell an innkeeper I thought they should provide robes.
As far as trying to compare what B&Bs have offered in the last 30 years, this is a more recent trend. In the last 6 years you see more and more that robes are offered and frankly if any B&B is trying to create the special stay feel or pampering, then I think robes are part of that. We all keep saying we want to be different from hotels...this is one way to get our guests feeling that their stay was not like a hotel. It's the extra touches.
As far as adding to the laundry loads, you can get robes that are appropriate for you area. We use waffle weave spa robes with our logo embroidered on the breast. They wash and dry quickly and are extremely comfortable. We also sell quite a few of them at a 100% markup which helps reduce the price of each robe. We don't push the sale of them, we just have them on a shelf in our gift area. I sold 2 of them last week because our guests loved them and they wanted to be able to have their coffee at home in our robes to remember their stay with us. They become a momento.
Where do you buy them? What sizes do YOU have?
Mentioned numerous times in other threads: Cypress Bathrobes
http://www.dnjspecialties.com/
http://www.suiterepose.com/
catlady said:
FYI I received a notification from my NORTON UTILITIES that http://www.suiterepose.com/ site contains malware that could harm your computer.
Proud Texan said:
catlady said:
FYI I received a notification from my NORTON UTILITIES that http://www.suiterepose.com/ site contains malware that could harm your computer.
i got that too when i clicked on it

Back to the original topic.....
1. Bath robes (who'd of thunk!)
2. Hair dryer
3. TV, CD player with CDs to choose from or radio
4. Gourmet chocolates with a personalized note with our names.
I'm with Joe about the trash cans. There needs to be one in the bathroom, one in the desk/sitting area, and depending on the size of the room/suite one in the bed area. Also, tissues in both the bed area and the bathroom.

2. Hair dryer
I'm with Joe about the trash cans. There needs to be one in the bathroom, one in the desk/sitting area, and depending on the size of the room/suite one in the bed area. Also, tissues in both the bed area and the bathroom..
Tissues in both areas? I would like to do that, but really feel the need to leave as much area as possible for guests stuff. Horizontal space is valiable real estate.

2. Hair dryer
I'm with Joe about the trash cans. There needs to be one in the bathroom, one in the desk/sitting area, and depending on the size of the room/suite one in the bed area. Also, tissues in both the bed area and the bathroom..
Tissues in both areas? I would like to do that, but really feel the need to leave as much area as possible for guests stuff. Horizontal space is valiable real estate.
Yup, both areas. If I'm in bed, I don't want to have to get up to go blow my nose.
I can relate to the horizontal space dilemma. Most of my night stands have a lower shelf or a drawer I can put the box on/in.
It's my little quirk, I guess. Also, I suffer from allergies and you never know when I'll have a sneezing attack.

2. Hair dryer
I have one in the bathroom and on the nightstand...in the bath I use a big regular box, and the nightstand takes the smaller cube boutique box. And the good stuff....Kleenex or Puffs.

2. Hair dryer
The tissue boxes in the bathrooms are on the toilet tank. Each bathroom has a lined and covered trash container. Each guestroom has a lined but uncovered trash container next to the bed in 2 rooms and in the corner by the door in the other. Hmmmm .... perhaps another on the other side of the bed in each room.....

Joe Bloggs said:
  1. When you travel what do you appreciate in your room?
  2. What do you require in your room?
  3. What optional items are nice in your room?
  4. What has been a nice surprise that you never expected to find in a guest room?
1. Lighting, quiet, nice bedding
2. A comfy chair for reading. This can cover a lot of area but it is not a straightback chair!
3. Candy
4. Bookmarks.
The optional question is a tough one because what are we calling optional here?

1. i appreciate extra pillows ~ i like at least 3, preferably 4 (and yes it's just me)
2. i require free wifi and a window that looks out to the yard, to the garden, to somewhere, even the building next door ... i stayed in a place that had a curtain but no window. it never occurred to me there was no window ~ i kept thinking, what if there is a fire?
seashanty said:
Hmm. Do you think guests like/need a bathrobe even with an en suite bathroom? You're in the cold North so I can see how that might be nice on a cold winter day, but in the South...not so much.
seashanty said:
How do you size them? I'm a relatively big guy and my wife is diminutive. However, I've seen big gals with their little husbands or both of them big. You get my drift?
gillumhouse said:
Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Yes, yes, yes for robes!
Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Yes, yes, yes for robes!
We did that survey this year, but not in 2007. So, there is one place that checked off 'robes' that hadn't in the prior years. We have robes in one room only because of the bathroom location. There was no option for "all rooms" or "some rooms" on the survey. I think it is a good idea to offer them so guests are not sitting on the bedding in the all in all.

2. Hair dryer
Joe Bloggs said:
We have 2 trash cans in each room. One in the bathroom and one in the room somewhere. I was appalled once when I read a review that said the trash can was too far from the bed. They are not glued to the floor! We put them where they are visible but not where you would fall over it. But they can be moved anywhere.
Tissues are also in bathroom and by bedside- just one nightstand. I hope the people sharing the bed will speak to each other if one or the other on the wring side of the bed needs a tissue! Rooms with 2 beds have tissues by both beds and in the bathroom. We tend to not have light fixtures on the smaller nightstands so it seems to work out.

As the cleaner of these rooms I really don't like tissues everywhere actually, beside the bed and on a dresser and in the bathroom, they drop dust everywhere! Just one more thing TO DUST and one more thing to drop dust.

First it all depends on how much I paid for the room.
1. I appreciate a clean bed with white linens. I always marvel at how they can get that stuff so clean.
2. Coffee maker (with coffee) and hairdryer and small fridge. (I have a young child) and a balcony or a window that opens.
3. Everything else is optional
4. I appreciate ice cold water.

seashanty said:
seashanty said:
gillumhouse said:
Assure your DW that the robes are not used all the time :) But they are appreciated all the time, even if not used!

Those of you with robes in each room: How often do you launder them?.
after they are used. I have a little ribbon with a tag that mentions the robes in the room for use during their stay are also available for purchase. I loop it through the fabric loop at the neckline and around the bar of the wooden hanger tied in a bow. I also tie the robe belt in a distinctive way. If either the ribbon is off or the belt untied at a room flip the robe gets laundered.

I tie the belts around the robes with a special knot and leave them in the closet until used. I assume I can tell that way when they are used and then can be laundered. I have two L and one XXL in each room. Lillian had a special 13 for the price of 12 so I also ordered a 4X but I haven't had any request for that one yet.
Suite Repose was my choice. I hope she gets her website fixed because " one is an order" and she can work with you to send logo robes to your guests.

As the others said - when used. I also tie the sash "my way" but usually if they have been used, they are hanging on the hook on the closet or the bathroom door. Even it they hang them up, they do not tie the sash.
I also use Suite Repose robes. I liked being able to order one at a time as I could afford them.

When obviously used....like others I have a distinctive way of tying the sash and how they are on the hanger. If the robes haven't been used in awhile, I'll toss them in the wash to freshen them up. Seems like there is a run on using them and then no one uses them. Go figure....

Back