Inn Room Amenties

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
  1. When you travel what do you appreciate in your room?
  2. What do you require in your room?
  3. What optional items are nice in your room?
  4. What has been a nice surprise that you never expected to find in a guest room?

1. comfortable bed, clean...
2. shampoo and soap, towels...
3. Extra pillows on the bed (more than the standard two), coffee pot, flowers, bathrobes, slippers, a 'comfy' chair...
4. complimentary chocolates or candy, a personalized note...

3. Extra pillows on the bed (more than the standard two), coffee pot, flowers, bathrobes, slippers, a 'comfy' chair...
4. complimentary chocolates or candy, a personalized note....
oldcharm said:
All the above plus extra TP and Tissue Boxes, decent hangers, more than 1 trash can and a reading lamp.

oldcharm said:
All the above plus extra TP and Tissue Boxes, decent hangers, more than 1 trash can and a reading lamp.
The Farmers Daughter said:
oldcharm said:
Not only a reading lamp, but good lighting!

So far I have everything except the extra pillows on the bed - they are in the dresser drawers. Oh, no personal note - i do that in person as I take them to their room.

oldcharm said:
oldcharm said:
My pet peeve about trash cans...you all know this already - when you stay in a hotel they are NEVER where they need to be, never one near a toilet. Always one near the desk.
They also are like trash cans lined with lids as the flippin' liner is never pushed in so you toss a tissue and it bounces right out onto the floor! This is every hotel, ne'r any different, why can't the housekeepers push the thing into the waste basket?
AND teensy waste baskets that won't even hold a newspaper or big to-go cup.
GOOD POINT!!!

Places to hang things, lay things and store things and cleanliness. Our pet peeve with a lot of B&Bs is that they are filled with dust-collecting knick knacks and doilies that do nothing to add to the comfort of the room or to the utility of the traveler.
Attention Aspirings: Rather than trying to make a room look like your victorian Aunt Bessie lived there, think about the comfort of your guests. A B&B guest room is (and has to be) more than just a bed room. For a guest, it's a bedroom, trip headquarters, their living room and much more. Think about what it is you would like to see in a room if you were a traveler and then implement that into your decor.

Places to hang things, lay things and store things and cleanliness. Our pet peeve with a lot of B&Bs is that they are filled with dust-collecting knick knacks and doilies that do nothing to add to the comfort of the room or to the utility of the traveler.
Attention Aspirings: Rather than trying to make a room look like your victorian Aunt Bessie lived there, think about the comfort of your guests. A B&B guest room is (and has to be) more than just a bed room. For a guest, it's a bedroom, trip headquarters, their living room and much more. Think about what it is you would like to see in a room if you were a traveler and then implement that into your decor..
True about places to hang things, innkeepers wonder why some guests hang towels all over furniture! When we bought this place there were NO HOOKS anywhere in a guest room. Closet w hangers yes, no hooks. One guest room which is currently the most booked of-late had the towels folded on a wicker shelf...where to hang your towel or put your towel?
I have been to BnB's where there were three hangers in the closet as well! And wire or dry cleaning hangers at that! So you have to hang your stuff all over the furniture, no choice.

oldcharm said:
oldcharm said:
My pet peeve about trash cans...you all know this already - when you stay in a hotel they are NEVER where they need to be, never one near a toilet. Always one near the desk.
They also are like trash cans lined with lids as the flippin' liner is never pushed in so you toss a tissue and it bounces right out onto the floor! This is every hotel, ne'r any different, why can't the housekeepers push the thing into the waste basket?
GOOD POINT!!!
Joe Bloggs said:
GOOD POINT!!!
I agree with you...to a point. Short of placing a large metal trash can in the room, what would you suggest? We have large trash receptacles setting outside of our cottages for larger trash items and also provide a bin for recycling. There is a trash basket by the toilet, by the mini-fridge and by the desk. Here, the housekeeper (a.k.a. me) does push the liners in.
regular_smile.gif

oldcharm said:
oldcharm said:
GOOD POINT!!!
Joe Bloggs said:
GOOD POINT!!!
I agree with you...to a point. Short of placing a large metal trash can in the room, what would you suggest? We have large trash receptacles setting outside of our cottages for larger trash items and also provide a bin for recycling. There is a trash basket by the toilet, by the mini-fridge and by the desk. Here, the housekeeper (a.k.a. me) does push the liners in.
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GOOD POINT!!!
regular_smile.gif
Yes that is what I mean, why should the guest have to put their hand into the wastebasket to push the blasted thing down, when the housekeeper is not willing to do it. This is why daily maid service is important, people bring back their meal or leftover and stuff them into or beside a trash can. It is only fair to them as well, to get rid of that stinky stuff daily. I would not like a big ol' trash can anywhere. In fact my own kitchen trash is not big, medium sized so it goes out twice a day if needed, not overflowing and stinky.

1. i appreciate extra pillows ~ i like at least 3, preferably 4 (and yes it's just me)
2. i require free wifi and a window that looks out to the yard, to the garden, to somewhere, even the building next door ... i stayed in a place that had a curtain but no window. it never occurred to me there was no window ~ i kept thinking, what if there is a fire?
3. optional items that are nice are a bathrobe and a desk with chair
4. nice surprise was chocolate and flowers

oldcharm said:
oldcharm said:
GOOD POINT!!!
Joe Bloggs said:
GOOD POINT!!!
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GOOD POINT!!!
regular_smile.gif
Yes that is what I mean, why should the guest have to put their hand into the wastebasket to push the blasted thing down, when the housekeeper is not willing to do it. This is why daily maid service is important, people bring back their meal or leftover and stuff them into or beside a trash can. It is only fair to them as well, to get rid of that stinky stuff daily. I would not like a big ol' trash can anywhere. In fact my own kitchen trash is not big, medium sized so it goes out twice a day if needed, not overflowing and stinky.
Joe Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
GOOD POINT!!!
regular_smile.gif
To avoid kitchen odors, DW purchased a Compost Bucket that fits nicely under the sink. It works flawlessly to eliminate odors that emanate from organic matter in the trash. So, all food scraps go into it and everything else goes into the trash. We only need to empty it about twice a week into our compost pile. I would highly recommend this product.
thumbs_up.gif

I don't care about pillows because I travel with my own in a bright flowered case so I don't lose it.
Comfy chair with side table and reading lamp.
Place to get coffee with creamer and splenda (but I carry my own splenda just in case).
Books to exchange or a variety of reading material.
Old movies if a dvd player is available.
soap and shampoo, hair dryer
fruit basket if it is a higher priced hotel or bnb
info about the bnb - I am a history and genealogy buff

1. i appreciate extra pillows ~ i like at least 3, preferably 4 (and yes it's just me)
2. i require free wifi and a window that looks out to the yard, to the garden, to somewhere, even the building next door ... i stayed in a place that had a curtain but no window. it never occurred to me there was no window ~ i kept thinking, what if there is a fire?
4. nice surprise was chocolate and flowers.
seashanty said:
Hmm. Do you think guests like/need a bathrobe even with an en suite bathroom? You're in the cold North so I can see how that might be nice on a cold winter day, but in the South...not so much.

seashanty said:
Hmm. Do you think guests like/need a bathrobe even with an en suite bathroom? You're in the cold North so I can see how that might be nice on a cold winter day, but in the South...not so much.
My guests really do use the bathrobes (in all rooms), even during the summer months.

seashanty said:
Proud Texan said:
Do you think guests like/need a bathrobe even with an en suite bathroom?
Need - maybe not.
Like - definitely yes.
We got a lot of positive comments after adding robes last year. In particular, my bicyclists like them, as they are generally travelling light along the bike trail and appreciate having something to lounge in.

We have bathrobes in all the rooms, two weekends ago every single one of them was worn, typically it might be every other guest only. It is alot more laundry, but guests seem to enjoy them.
Do you have a/c in your cottages? If so, then guest like to lounge around in them moreso in the summer than winter, I have found.

I know this is taking this a different direction... but any recommendation on quality bathrobes at a good price?

I know this is taking this a different direction... but any recommendation on quality bathrobes at a good price?.
oldcharm said:
I know this is taking this a different direction... but any recommendation on quality bathrobes at a good price?
You are one of the true blue forum members when you actively sidetrack a thread. Well done!
cheers.gif

There was much talk on other threads about robes...links, recommendations etc. If you search robes up on the top right you will have them pop up for you.

seashanty said:
it's a 'like' .... in any weather.
visiting florida, very hot (to me 97 degrees is HOT) ...... i got out of the shower, into the robe, stayed in my robe a while, doing my hair, before getting dressed. yes! a definite like. they had thin robes.
in maine, i had terry 'spa' robes. but if i was buying them today i'd get thinner robes because of the drying time. it took ages for two of the heavy robes to dry.

Back