Inn-sitters - to hire or not to hire!!??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As per usual I feel someone made an innocent comment and everyone took it differently and people got their hackles up and one thing led to another and it devolved. This forum is getting to be more work than running this Inn.
People, realize this...as innkeepers we are all held to impossible standards every moment of every day. I think what would help all of us the most is if folks would just give us an inch of slack. Why can't we even do that for each other on here?

suellen222,
Ummm.... first, I'm thrilled that you and your sister have found a venture you find rewarding and valuable.
The tone and the asumptions you've made in your initial post to support your sales pitch are about as condescending and presumptive towards the intelligence of any veteran inn owner as I've seen here.
I'm in the camp of innkeeper that believes "we" as the owner or innkeeper of a small B&B are such a huge part of the experience for our guests that except for a health emergency or family death, nobody could ever "sit in" for us here.
I'm not sure how it is that hundreds of OUR guests per year can bring a laptop, cellphone, pda, etc. and for a few minutes per day, keep up on their business affairs AND still relate to us just how relaxing and enjoyable of a time they have while in our home, but they do.
While our B&B is only in its fifth year of operation, we already know with about 95% certainty what our busy and slow seasons are and when we could most easily expect to take a break and NOT miss much business.
Maybe for innkeepers who refuse to take vacations only in their slow season or are in it only to make maximium income, your service would be very appealing.
I'm not sure why you would encourage inexperienced, aspiring innkeepers to start competing with you, but I would expect that flooding a fairly small labor market niche with too many inexperienced, untested service providers could eventually work against the positive aspects and reputation of having highly trained, experienced innsitting services available for those that could use them..
Condescension is a show of disdain and superiority in which the condescending person patronizes, or considers himself superior and "descends" to the level of, the disdained person.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, TIM. I saw nothing condescending in suellen's posts, but see it loud and clear in about 75% of your own; how typical that your first post after a five-day suspension is green and nasty.
Suellen IS a professional Innsitter, has sat for Inns all over the country....how she got into it originally doesn't matter in the least. She was invited to this forum to get the opinions of an Innsitter. I'm embarassed now to see some the the nasty responses that have been posted. Sue was simply expressing her thoughts, and there was nothing I saw that was meant to be insulting, and certainly nothing she said insulted me. How can anyone attack her for encouraging aspiring innkeepers to consider inn-sitting, a profession she loves? I encourage aspiring innkeepers to become Inn owners every day, because it's a profession I love.
LB,
Thank you so much for standing up for me, I have been reading all the responses and get more upset with each one, and was really thinking I crossed some sort of line. I was wondering if I could quietly disappear from this forum. I had NO intention of pissing anyone off. I have been Inn-sitting for 5 years and I know that I was very lucky in getting my 1st job, but I believe I got it because I "clicked" with the owner (as a guest! - she had just opened her doors and didn't know what to do when she took a vacation) I sold myself, even tho up to that point I had only ever cleaned every Sunday at a B&B. She took a chance on me and I took a chance on myself! I was scared and nervous, etc. But I felt I had found my passion and "what I wanted to be when I grew up" I was 45 at the time! Up 'til then I had stayed home with my 2 girls and occassionally (sp?) took in day care children.
I don't look upon Inn-sitting as competitive - I feel it should be just like B&B's in the same area - you should be helping each other and referring customers. I would love to have someone else to call when I can't take a job.
I also feel that all B&B's are different and unique - as are the owners. It is a very personal business and you should spend time with the person you are thinking of hiring. I am going into your home, your business and trying to be you - if our personalities clash then it won't work for either of us. I have not taken jobs solely on the fact that I realized that the owner and I were not compatible. If I don't think I can run the place the same way you do it will surely be a disaster - I don't care to put myself or your business in that situation.
Again, I apologize to anyone whom I have insulted - it was not my intention. I will keep doing what I am doing because I love it - I wanted to get the word out there that you can make a career out of something that you love. Try b4 you buy - I decided to put my buying dreams on the backburner cos I am having too much fun!

suellen222,
Ummm.... first, I'm thrilled that you and your sister have found a venture you find rewarding and valuable.
The tone and the asumptions you've made in your initial post to support your sales pitch are about as condescending and presumptive towards the intelligence of any veteran inn owner as I've seen here.
I'm in the camp of innkeeper that believes "we" as the owner or innkeeper of a small B&B are such a huge part of the experience for our guests that except for a health emergency or family death, nobody could ever "sit in" for us here.
I'm not sure how it is that hundreds of OUR guests per year can bring a laptop, cellphone, pda, etc. and for a few minutes per day, keep up on their business affairs AND still relate to us just how relaxing and enjoyable of a time they have while in our home, but they do.
While our B&B is only in its fifth year of operation, we already know with about 95% certainty what our busy and slow seasons are and when we could most easily expect to take a break and NOT miss much business.
Maybe for innkeepers who refuse to take vacations only in their slow season or are in it only to make maximium income, your service would be very appealing.
I'm not sure why you would encourage inexperienced, aspiring innkeepers to start competing with you, but I would expect that flooding a fairly small labor market niche with too many inexperienced, untested service providers could eventually work against the positive aspects and reputation of having highly trained, experienced innsitting services available for those that could use them..
Condescension is a show of disdain and superiority in which the condescending person patronizes, or considers himself superior and "descends" to the level of, the disdained person.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, TIM. I saw nothing condescending in suellen's posts, but see it loud and clear in about 75% of your own; how typical that your first post after a five-day suspension is green and nasty.
Suellen IS a professional Innsitter, has sat for Inns all over the country....how she got into it originally doesn't matter in the least. She was invited to this forum to get the opinions of an Innsitter. I'm embarassed now to see some the the nasty responses that have been posted. Sue was simply expressing her thoughts, and there was nothing I saw that was meant to be insulting, and certainly nothing she said insulted me. How can anyone attack her for encouraging aspiring innkeepers to consider inn-sitting, a profession she loves? I encourage aspiring innkeepers to become Inn owners every day, because it's a profession I love.
LB,
Thank you so much for standing up for me, I have been reading all the responses and get more upset with each one, and was really thinking I crossed some sort of line. I was wondering if I could quietly disappear from this forum. I had NO intention of pissing anyone off. I have been Inn-sitting for 5 years and I know that I was very lucky in getting my 1st job, but I believe I got it because I "clicked" with the owner (as a guest! - she had just opened her doors and didn't know what to do when she took a vacation) I sold myself, even tho up to that point I had only ever cleaned every Sunday at a B&B. She took a chance on me and I took a chance on myself! I was scared and nervous, etc. But I felt I had found my passion and "what I wanted to be when I grew up" I was 45 at the time! Up 'til then I had stayed home with my 2 girls and occassionally (sp?) took in day care children.
I don't look upon Inn-sitting as competitive - I feel it should be just like B&B's in the same area - you should be helping each other and referring customers. I would love to have someone else to call when I can't take a job.
I also feel that all B&B's are different and unique - as are the owners. It is a very personal business and you should spend time with the person you are thinking of hiring. I am going into your home, your business and trying to be you - if our personalities clash then it won't work for either of us. I have not taken jobs solely on the fact that I realized that the owner and I were not compatible. If I don't think I can run the place the same way you do it will surely be a disaster - I don't care to put myself or your business in that situation.
Again, I apologize to anyone whom I have insulted - it was not my intention. I will keep doing what I am doing because I love it - I wanted to get the word out there that you can make a career out of something that you love. Try b4 you buy - I decided to put my buying dreams on the backburner cos I am having too much fun!
Suellen, I have no problem with you encouraging the innsitting profession - it truly IS a way to see the Country while doing what you dream of doing. Just as education is stressed in every other profession, that is what is being stressed. Opening a B & B with no experience is risking your own money and learning on the job is your risk. That is all that is being expressed - get the training and then be an innsitter who is representing another innkeeper's business and reputaion, both of which can be damaged badly with one review as been stated on this Forum. Repeatedly!

just had a thought ~~ is there a course available specifically for those who want to be interim innkeepers? including someone from the red cross to give the cpr cert. and heimlich instruction.
those of you who offer innkeeping seminars ... maybe you already do this. if not, it would be great for those who can't afford to buy a place ... to be certified in some way?
just a thought

suellen222,
Blue, I am sorry if you read the responses on this thread as being nasty. I have read the all - including Toad's - and do not consider them as nasty. No one has said an Aspiring should not go into innsitting, however we have said WE would not consider hiring someone who had no innkeeper experience. Suggestions have been offered on many threads as to how to get that experience.
I do not believe there has been anyone looking down their nose at anyone until it was implied that anyone with half a brain could be an innkeeper. Although that may be true to be an innkeeper - it is not true of a SUCCESSFUL innkeeper - and this Forum strives to help each other be successful.
I was cooking at age 10. That does not mean I could cook a B & B breakfast that would be appealing to the eyes as well as the stomach. I did raise kids - but that also does not say I did it successfully nor does it mean changing diapers and wiping up puke and cleaning bathrooms gave me what it would take to clean to an acceptable level for paying guests and separating warring kids does not prepare to deal with PITAs. I could knock kids heads together but you cannot do that with guests. Sorry - that analogy was WAY off. And as Ginocat pointed out, many who are successful never dealt with 2-legged animals.
"Blue, I am sorry if you read the responses on this thread as being nasty. I have read the all - including Toad's - and do not consider them as nasty."
Maybe the difference is I read them from Sue's perspective and I knew I would feel hurt and embarassed if I was her. More of us should read things that we post from that viewpoint.

suellen222,
LB,
I'm sorry that this discussion turned that corner and became so personal.

Sue, you found yourself in an amazing situation where the first person you met was a brand new innkeeper and she needed help. You provided her help and it worked out great for both of you.

Don't you agree that was a unique situation and the best for everyone involved is training? That really is the essence of this discussion.

Issues become hot topics around here fast sometimes. Hang in there with us.

As per usual I feel someone made an innocent comment and everyone took it differently and people got their hackles up and one thing led to another and it devolved. This forum is getting to be more work than running this Inn.
People, realize this...as innkeepers we are all held to impossible standards every moment of every day. I think what would help all of us the most is if folks would just give us an inch of slack. Why can't we even do that for each other on here?.
Amen! I'm a people pleaser and I have always wished for peace on earth! I realize as I re-read this that some of you may take this the wrong way and think I am being sarcastic. That is what I don't like about e-mails and reading the written word as compared to actually talking to someone. Everyone reads things differently and takes away a different meaning. I just want people to get along - be nice, play fair, share! It's a crazy world we live in and being mean will get you nowhere! Kill them with kindness and kindness will be returned to you. Amen!

just had a thought ~~ is there a course available specifically for those who want to be interim innkeepers? including someone from the red cross to give the cpr cert. and heimlich instruction.
those of you who offer innkeeping seminars ... maybe you already do this. if not, it would be great for those who can't afford to buy a place ... to be certified in some way?
just a thought.
Sounds like a business opportunity...I have had people contact me wanting to know what they need to do to become an Inn-sitter - "how do I get certified?". My sister thinks I should charge $ for my knowledge. I disagree and tell people my story - all someone is going to teach you is how to cook, clean, do laundry, be nice to people, and learn different reservation systems. You need to find one B&B owner looking for help and prove to them you can do it - either with weeks of training (if necessary) or one or two days getting to know their place. If they have had help before they should have some sort of manual with all the information in it that you need to run their place without having to call and ask frivolous questions. You need to be a self motivated person. You need to be flexible (to the point of exhaustion sometimes!)
I could go on and on - but I know you are all tired of hearing from me. I'll shut up now!

just a thought.
Sounds like a business opportunity...I have had people contact me wanting to know what they need to do to become an Inn-sitter - "how do I get certified?". My sister thinks I should charge $ for my knowledge. I disagree and tell people my story - all someone is going to teach you is how to cook, clean, do laundry, be nice to people, and learn different reservation systems. You need to find one B&B owner looking for help and prove to them you can do it - either with weeks of training (if necessary) or one or two days getting to know their place. If they have had help before they should have some sort of manual with all the information in it that you need to run their place without having to call and ask frivolous questions. You need to be a self motivated person. You need to be flexible (to the point of exhaustion sometimes!)
I could go on and on - but I know you are all tired of hearing from me. I'll shut up now!
I am not asking you to shut up but I do see certification a bit differently. I see innsitter certification as being familiar with many different reservation systems, computer literate, able to respond ro a reservation with proper follow-up, with being "up" on dietary requirements, as knowing about dinnerware - as in what will or will not go in a dishwasher, stain removal - what to use and what not to use, it is more than just doing laundry or scrubbing a toilet. I see innsitting as a profession and something that not just anyone can do.
If I am going out of town, I do not have time, with all my other arrangements to train someone on MY reservation system. I can print out how I answer my phone, I can leave a list of what is where, but there is so much that requires professionalism.... I am amazed at the number of people who say, when I answer the phone, my! you sound so professional! Do you know how hard it is to keep from responding - that is because I AM a professional.

eeek!
dang the internet anyway!!! i LOVE this forum but we can't talk face to face and words can and do hurt, can and do get taken the wrong way .... and without the face, the voice, the physical exchange, we can hurt one another and be hurt ~~ all without intent.
deep breaths, everyone. let's just talk ...
how about a group hug? too much?
devil_smile.gif

eeek!
dang the internet anyway!!! i LOVE this forum but we can't talk face to face and words can and do hurt, can and do get taken the wrong way .... and without the face, the voice, the physical exchange, we can hurt one another and be hurt ~~ all without intent.
deep breaths, everyone. let's just talk ...
how about a group hug? too much?
devil_smile.gif
Hugs are never ever too much, or too much to ask for!

just a thought.
suellen222 said:
I'm still waiting to hear that you have your license and insurance. I do hope you are not innsitting without insurance. If you are, I would call what you are doing house sitting, not innsitting.
My B&B insurance company would not allow me to hire someone without it.
By the way, the best way to get business for innsitters would be to join PAII and their state association.
RIki

of the interim innkeepers i am aware of, some carry their own insurance, liability and workers comp (like a self-employed contractor) ... others do not. i believe they all should. it's a cost of doing business.
anyone's services i used at the inn either had to be my employee (and i had to insure them) or they had to show proof of insurance. this was for the inn's protection ... in the event of an accidental injury, the person hurt would be covered.

There is an Interim Innkeepers Network.
Here is how they describe what an Interim Innkeeper is:
"An Interim Innkeeper is a person or couple who has developed the knowledge, skills and experiences necessary to successfully operate a Bed & Breakfast, Country Inn, Boutique Hotel, or Family Resort during the absence of the owner-operator or resident innkeeper. An Interim Innkeeper keeps abreast of new trends and practices through involvement in industry associations, training programs and seminars."
Sounds good to me!

suellen222,
Maybe you didn't but that doesn't negate anyone else's right to perceive or interpret her comments as we saw fit. I paid her a compliment and in no way was denigrating her own professionalism or skills. I was critiquing the way she phrased her comments and in my opinion not so subtly suggesting that anyone not using an innsitter is a hobbyist, or not very smart about how they were running their inn.
Yes, the physical tasks involved in operating a B&B aren't brain surgery, but its the nuances that count and are in my opinion are every bit as important. I've never stayed in a B&B whose "staff" fully grasped that and have only experienced the complete package of cleanliness, hospitality, and good service when staying in owner occupied B&Bs.
She started the thread and if you'll be kind enough to point me to the thread inviting her to weigh in on an innsitter's value to any of us, I'll go get some background on the original topic.
But point by point I found her comments to be condescending and spoke my mind, which I believe I'm entitled to do regardless of anything else. I know you don't like it when people here respond to people's comments point by point but in this case its somewhat important on both what she wrote and how she phrased it.
As an Inn-sitter I felt a need to speak up on this subject - maybe a little late for some of you, but better late than never!
So have we all been wandering around in the dark or something on how to manage our vacations, family emergencies, time off, etc.?
Was this initial statement of hers in response to specific questions?
Was her launching the thread to begin with in response to a request from others?
First - A B&B is a very personal business and if I, as a potential guest, call and get an answering machine (and possibly no reply for a day or so) I will go on to the next B&B where someone will talk to me and take my reservation!
With most of us reporting getting anywhere from 50-90% of our reservations online, this statement doesn't seem to jive with the fact or trend in travel that proves we musn't anchor ourselves to our phones at all time.
2nd - A vacation is not really a vacation if you are attached to your phone and computer.
I stand by earlier comment about our guests apparently being able to fully enjoy their vacations while still keeping tabs on their business affairs. The hollywood screenplay writer who just checked out today while having a deadline to deal with, phone calls, emails, etc... related to us that this was the singularly most relaxing three days in his memory.
3rd - If you close down/shut your doors, etc. you are losing all business that may come in while you are gone and if you don't return messages you are losing any future business.
There are innkeepers who don't return phone calls or emails even while in residence at their B&B, and there are those of us who while on vacation or off premise are very good about replying to inquiries or calls.
An Inn-sitter will be there to answer the phone, take care of any last minute guests while also taking care of guests who booked in advance. I have noticed last minute bookings are way up this year.
It isn't an 100% certainty that all B&Bs get lots of last minute bookings, walk in traffic or have been even with this year's trend.
I guess it depends on if you are trying to run a business or if owning a B&B is just a hobby for you.
This is the one that stuck in my craw. We take our business very seriously. This is our life's blood, sweat and tears and a way more than full time venture for us. Probably too seriously for our own good.
All you Aspiring Innkeepers out there - I highly recommend getting into the Inn-sitting business. It will give you a good taste of what running a B&B is like.
Easy to say, harder to do and to do well.
All the fun without all the responsibilities of owning!
Yes, I'm sure if all I had to worry about was the physical tasks of temporarily filling in for the rube who has his or her life's savings invested in starting, running and perpetuating a B&B business it would be kind of fun. This statement struck me as awfully unappreciative of the effort, financial investment and dedication it took for all of us who own our places to make it happen. Conidering anyone reading this would potentially be a client of suellen222's, it just felt funny. Just being honest.
Kinda like being a Grandparent, you spoil the kids and then you get to go home.
Same as above.

suellen222,
Maybe you didn't but that doesn't negate anyone else's right to perceive or interpret her comments as we saw fit. I paid her a compliment and in no way was denigrating her own professionalism or skills. I was critiquing the way she phrased her comments and in my opinion not so subtly suggesting that anyone not using an innsitter is a hobbyist, or not very smart about how they were running their inn.
Yes, the physical tasks involved in operating a B&B aren't brain surgery, but its the nuances that count and are in my opinion are every bit as important. I've never stayed in a B&B whose "staff" fully grasped that and have only experienced the complete package of cleanliness, hospitality, and good service when staying in owner occupied B&Bs.
She started the thread and if you'll be kind enough to point me to the thread inviting her to weigh in on an innsitter's value to any of us, I'll go get some background on the original topic.
But point by point I found her comments to be condescending and spoke my mind, which I believe I'm entitled to do regardless of anything else. I know you don't like it when people here respond to people's comments point by point but in this case its somewhat important on both what she wrote and how she phrased it.
As an Inn-sitter I felt a need to speak up on this subject - maybe a little late for some of you, but better late than never!
So have we all been wandering around in the dark or something on how to manage our vacations, family emergencies, time off, etc.?
Was her launching the thread to begin with in response to a request from others?
First - A B&B is a very personal business and if I, as a potential guest, call and get an answering machine (and possibly no reply for a day or so) I will go on to the next B&B where someone will talk to me and take my reservation!
With most of us reporting getting anywhere from 50-90% of our reservations online, this statement doesn't seem to jive with the fact or trend in travel that proves we musn't anchor ourselves to our phones at all time.
2nd - A vacation is not really a vacation if you are attached to your phone and computer.
I stand by earlier comment about our guests apparently being able to fully enjoy their vacations while still keeping tabs on their business affairs. The hollywood screenplay writer who just checked out today while having a deadline to deal with, phone calls, emails, etc... related to us that this was the singularly most relaxing three days in his memory.
3rd - If you close down/shut your doors, etc. you are losing all business that may come in while you are gone and if you don't return messages you are losing any future business.
There are innkeepers who don't return phone calls or emails even while in residence at their B&B, and there are those of us who while on vacation or off premise are very good about replying to inquiries or calls.
An Inn-sitter will be there to answer the phone, take care of any last minute guests while also taking care of guests who booked in advance. I have noticed last minute bookings are way up this year.
It isn't an 100% certainty that all B&Bs get lots of last minute bookings, walk in traffic or have been even with this year's trend.
I guess it depends on if you are trying to run a business or if owning a B&B is just a hobby for you.
This is the one that stuck in my craw. We take our business very seriously. This is our life's blood, sweat and tears and a way more than full time venture for us. Probably too seriously for our own good.
All you Aspiring Innkeepers out there - I highly recommend getting into the Inn-sitting business. It will give you a good taste of what running a B&B is like.
Yes, I'm sure if all I had to worry about was the physical tasks of temporarily filling in for the rube who has his or her life's savings invested in starting, running and perpetuating a B&B business it would be kind of fun. This statement struck me as awfully unappreciative of the effort, financial investment and dedication it took for all of us who own our places to make it happen. Conidering anyone reading this would potentially be a client of suellen222's, it just felt funny. Just being honest.
Same as above.
blah blah blah and click.

suellen222,
Same as above.
blah blah blah and click.
Oh Little Blue...I feel your pain. Please, please ignore and do not rise to the bait...he likes it too much. Just don't give him the satisfaction. If it makes you feel better to vent just email me your comments!

WOW, been away for a while but as I read the many responses, yea sueellen you seem condensending to some. I see what you mean though, its as if when we all strarted we has lots of experience running our Inns and we where instantly professional innkepers because we "owned and operated an Inn". First and foremost not one single guest has ever ever asked weather we where professional innkeepers because our first year was just an experience for us. We never owned an inn, neither one of us had ever really worked in the hospitality industry as in--housekeeping, reservations etc of a hotel, motel or anything of the sort. Although we where both in the "service" industry which innkeeping is part of. We all work for the customer just as much as the waitress in a nice restaurant does to make their experience the best one so that they come back and not only do we make money but so does the establishment..common sense huh?
Now for the Innsitting profession, you got lucky sueellen, we are thinking seriously of becoming Innsitters, not because we don't want to own our own Inn, but because we consider ourselves Innkeepers, cooks, customer service, operator and we LOVE IT! Just because there are owners all over the country and world thart DONT WANT TO BE INNKEEPERS (meaning the job) but want to own an Inn and hire someone to take care of their inn does not mean that a guest is not well taken care of by the Innkeeper (not the owner) because they LOVE THEIR JOB and the owners trust their management to run their business.
My husband and I have lots of experience running an Inn and we are praying that we can find a fit with an Inn for a long assignment. Everyone is right...there arent that many Inns that use Innsitters, but there are many that do and they are invaluable if they truly love their profession as any other profession. I do understand that hiring someone to come and take care of your Inn would take careful consideration and it would be more difficult for an aspiring to get a job if they have no experience. It takes alot of patience and love to do what all of us do daily.

suellen222,
Same as above.
Tim this is not the kind of restraint I had hoped you would return with. You are responding point by point to Little Blue about things Sueellen said after Suellen has already clarified that she did not intend to be condescending to anyone. She is new to the forum and needs a little forgiveness, not a disection of all the reasons you should be offended.
This isn't working out. Good day, good luck, and good bye.

of the interim innkeepers i am aware of, some carry their own insurance, liability and workers comp (like a self-employed contractor) ... others do not. i believe they all should. it's a cost of doing business.
anyone's services i used at the inn either had to be my employee (and i had to insure them) or they had to show proof of insurance. this was for the inn's protection ... in the event of an accidental injury, the person hurt would be covered..
seashanty said:
anyone's services i used at the inn either had to be my employee (and i had to insure them) or they had to show proof of insurance. this was for the inn's protection ... in the event of an accidental injury, the person hurt would be covered.
I would strongly suggest that anyone that is considering hiring an innsitter first check with their insurance company. If your insurance company is not on board with you hiring an innsitter, I would not want to see what would happen if something serious happens.
I do NOT trust insurance companies any further than I could toss an elephant. This has nothing to do with the qualifications of the innsitter. THis has to do with the fact that I am SURE that if anything happens while the innsitter is taking care of my inn, if I had not cleared him/her with my insurance company they will use that as a reason to drop me. Insurance companies pay big bonuses to employees who can find a loophole for not servicing claims.
Riki

Back