Inn-sitters - to hire or not to hire!!??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome suellen! Sorry I'm comin' in late on this...
I had a lovely post all typed up and bumped the wrong button. Ugh!
I strongly agree that it is important to answer the phone when someone calls. I always forward the phones when I'm out and I know I've gotten reservations because of it. And it is no bother to process reservations while I'm on vacation as I'll be on the 'puter anyway.
As a small B&B we've always closed when we've gone away, which we do during our slow times. If I were to go away when I was expecting guests I would have no idea how to go about getting an innsitter. How DOES one find an innsitter? Is there a going rate? I do have an invitation I declined for January that maybe I should reconsider...
It seems to me that hiring an innsitter is a little like hiring a babysitter. That is, I want them to be able to handle an emergency, feed my kids what and when I want them fed, and generally maintain the rules I have in place. I would not expect them to be a replacement mom. In the same way, I'd want an innsitter to know what to do in an emergency, feed my guests appropriately, and generally maintain the atmosphere we've created. I would not expect them to balance my books, perform regular maintenance or repairs, or create new policies. I think this might be what suellen was trying to say... an innsitter is not creating from scratch but maintaining what another has done.
Either way, :welcome: suellen!
=)
Kk.

Welcome to the forum SueEllen.
welcome.gif

I strongly agree that it is important to answer the phone when someone calls. I always forward the phones when I'm out and I know I've gotten reservations because of it. And it is no bother to process reservations while I'm on vacation as I'll be on the 'puter anyway.
As a small B&B we've always closed when we've gone away, which we do during our slow times. If I were to go away when I was expecting guests I would have no idea how to go about getting an innsitter. How DOES one find an innsitter? Is there a going rate? I do have an invitation I declined for January that maybe I should reconsider...
It seems to me that hiring an innsitter is a little like hiring a babysitter. That is, I want them to be able to handle an emergency, feed my kids what and when I want them fed, and generally maintain the rules I have in place. I would not expect them to be a replacement mom. In the same way, I'd want an innsitter to know what to do in an emergency, feed my guests appropriately, and generally maintain the atmosphere we've created. I would not expect them to balance my books, perform regular maintenance or repairs, or create new policies. I think this might be what suellen was trying to say... an innsitter is not creating from scratch but maintaining what another has done.
=)
Kk..
KK, Thank you for understanding - you are much better with words than I am! I read your whole profile and I think we probably think alike! I will be going through your area the end of this month and would love to stop for a visit and I can answer all your questions about how to go about finding an Inn-sitter. Of course I'm going to tell you you just found one! Or I can e-mail you my references - let me know how you would like to proceed. I think you should definitely reconsider that invite for January!

=)
Kk..
KK, Thank you for understanding - you are much better with words than I am! I read your whole profile and I think we probably think alike! I will be going through your area the end of this month and would love to stop for a visit and I can answer all your questions about how to go about finding an Inn-sitter. Of course I'm going to tell you you just found one! Or I can e-mail you my references - let me know how you would like to proceed. I think you should definitely reconsider that invite for January!
suellen222 said:
LOL! You read my whole profile... you must be a good reader! I'd love to have you stop by... email me or give me a call to set up a good time.
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
suellen222 said:
LOL! You read my whole profile... you must be a good reader! I'd love to have you stop by... email me or give me a call to set up a good time.
=)
Kk.
I figure if someone takes the time to write about themselves, I am going to take the time to read it to try to get to know them better! I sent you an e-mail, but was not able to attach my references. I will have your B&B info with me on the road so I can call you when I know when I will be going through - I may need a place to stay also! Looking forward to meeting you.

Other designs replica handbags of a woman's replica handbags diamond watch may designer handbags include several designer handbags smaller diamonds kissing fake handbags the face fake handbags, usually taking the place of the louis vuitton numerals louis vuitton, encircling the watch. The louis vuitton handbags design of louis vuitton handbags the watch lv handbags depends on lv handbags the wearer - whether lv bags on sale they want lv bags on sale to be smothered with lv as much lv sparkle as replica louis vuitton bag they could replica louis vuitton bag, or opt for a subtler replica louis vuitton bags and more replica louis vuitton bags conservative piece of jewelry.Whether replica louis vuitton handbag a single replica louis vuitton handbag diamond adorns the watch or replica louis vuitton handbags several diamonds replica louis vuitton handbags are embedded, giving a diamond watch as a replica lv bag gift will replica lv bag surely elicit responses of surprise, awe and astonishment. Diamond watches are a replica lv bags perfect gift replica lv bags for women, as these clear cut diamonds symbolizes your purest and most undoubted replica lv handbag intentions for replica lv handbag her. Diamonds are rare stones and its beauty considered to never falter - continuously representing status, style and replica lv handbags sophistication suited replica lv handbags for the women. Surely enough, diamond watches will never go out of style, nor look out of place in a woman's wrist.

just had a thought ~~ is there a course available specifically for those who want to be interim innkeepers? including someone from the red cross to give the cpr cert. and heimlich instruction.
those of you who offer innkeeping seminars ... maybe you already do this. if not, it would be great for those who can't afford to buy a place ... to be certified in some way?
just a thought.
As a former B&B owner, Interim Innkeeper and National Trainer, I am going to try and answer a couple of questions that have been brought up in this lively discussion board. And, yes, I did hire Interims before I actually met them. Some were good and some could have been better. However, my sanity needed a break and we forged ahead.
Yes, there are classes for those who wish to get into the Interim Innkeeping (Inn Sitter) profession and there is a certification process available. The whole certification process was initially created by PAII and then dropped by them. It was then taken over and revised by the Interim Innkeepers Network.
The Interim Innkeepers Network, of which we are founding members, has a list of professional interim innkeeper members who also do training. In addition, there is a certification process that members can elect to participate in. So, why don't all members get this certification, for a variety of reasons.
Some just don't want to bother with certification because they have enough business to handle as it is. Some are new to the business and one of the requirements for certification is having either owned a B&B or worked at several B&B's (catch 22 problem). Some don't want to bother with the follow up on staying certified with CPR & Food handling every few years. Some just don't see the value to certification in the first place.
As to training, we have people with a variety of backgrounds taking our classes. Most come to us with no experience at all in the B&B industry. It was one of the reasons we created our class to meet a need. What we tell them is that even after taking our class, they are still going to have to do some pro-bono work with at least 3 B&B's of different sizes as well as get a food handlers certification and CPR certification.
Our particular class is a 4 day hands on training onsite at a B&B. They are exposed to a variety of reservation systems, learn about guest interaction on the phone and in person, and go over the many different types of situations that arise at a B&B. They get involved with food preparation and breakfast service as well as cleaning. In addition, we stress that the B&B needs to be run as close to the way the B&B owner operates as is possible. To that extent, we give them a manual which we suggest they have the owner fill out before hand. This manual goes over every question (we hope) that the interim may have as to how to run the bed and breakfast they will be working at. We also stress the importance of having a day or two of actual training at the B&B, going over the manual and learning where everything is located.
Yes, there are times when an interim innkeeper gets thrown into a situation where there is little training beforehand. That is when that Interim Innkeeper manual is so important. Or, if the innkeeper has an up to date Operations Manual that covers every aspect of running the B&B (not just the phone numbers of who to call when the plumbing problem occurs) that would work also.
Yes, every one of you has your own way of running your show and you want it to be perfect. For the smaller inns, it probably is just as easy to plan your vacations in your off season and just close. However, if a special event comes up that you want to attend or an emergency situation arises, it is nice to know about a professional interim innkeeper in the wing just in case. For larger inns, there is never a good time to close.
There is nothing wrong with meeting and seeing how an interim innkeeper would work at your inn beforehand. For someone with little experience they probably would be willing to come out for a meet and greet. For those of us who are experienced or who travel the country, that might not work out. If you can not meet your interim before hand, ask for references of other places the interim has worked. Also, you can ask the interim about how they would handle certain situations and see what their answers are. More than anything, you will need to go with your gut.
I realize that it is difficult to leave your "baby", but I have learned that one should never say never to any situation.
I hope this helps both sides of the aisle ( Innkeepers and Interim Innkeepers )
Lynda

I am lucky as I have a very good friend with 10 years hotel/B&B experience who can sit in for me if I want a day off or my parents only live across town and have 20 years B&B experience (they are no good with computers however) I do find more and more bookings are comming through the internet so I can pick them up on my phone (the emails) and the calls. I always like to have someone here though if I can as we are in a location where we do pick up a lot of passing trade. (ie 3 rooms a day lately) so it does pay to have someone here especially as three of the walk ins have been for over 5 nights! I would prefer a paid inn sitter but it would hurt my parents feelings so I am in a catch 22 situation. I do consider taking on people now and again who want experience but I worry it would take a lot of my time. Also one of my majour problems is the age of my building plus as we all know there is always something falling off of something! It is just when something breaks! Luckily our on call handyman lives next door and he does all handyman things plus plumbing so that does help.

NEVER HIRE THE PO'S TO INNSIT!
We did that out of desperation. Our son got married end of December, 2010 in another province. We had arranged 4 mos. earlier for our regular innsitter to stay for the 5 days between Christmas and New Years when we would be attending the wedding. . It was all planned and she was happy to do that as she always is. Two days before we were about to leave (and almost all rooms booked up for the 5 days) she took ill and had to have emergency surgery. We were desperate. We called the PO's who still live in our city by the way.
Though it was nice to have them last minute, we had to pay them more than we normally would, but they sure did not go above and beyond their call of duty like our regular innsitter. I'm not even sure if they even did the basics. I do know that the iron and vacuum cleaner were never used. Even though they had it as a b & b for 2 years and we have had it for 5 years with our occupancy rate 4 times higher than when they had it, they still try to give us advice on how things should be done. And now, since they were here in Dec. we got our first not so good review and it was during the time they were here. UGH!

We did that out of desperation. Our son got married end of December, 2010 in another province. We had arranged 4 mos. earlier for our regular innsitter to stay for the 5 days between Christmas and New Years when we would be attending the wedding. . It was all planned and she was happy to do that as she always is. Two days before we were about to leave (and almost all rooms booked up for the 5 days) she took ill and had to have emergency surgery. We were desperate. We called the PO's who still live in our city by the way.
Though it was nice to have them last minute, we had to pay them more than we normally would, but they sure did not go above and beyond their call of duty like our regular innsitter. I'm not even sure if they even did the basics. I do know that the iron and vacuum cleaner were never used. Even though they had it as a b & b for 2 years and we have had it for 5 years with our occupancy rate 4 times higher than when they had it, they still try to give us advice on how things should be done. And now, since they were here in Dec. we got our first not so good review and it was during the time they were here. UGH!.
That is too bad! There is the reason why they are PO's and only lasted 2 years I guess! Chalk it up to lesson learned, but I do know a lot of good owners out there that would make excellent Inn-sitters! PO's should have to go thru the same screening process that Inn-sitters go through - not every one is a match for your Inn and your way of doing things. Now you probably value your regular Inn-sitter even more, but it would be wise to get another Innsitter for backup!

Though it was nice to have them last minute, we had to pay them more than we normally would, but they sure did not go above and beyond their call of duty like our regular innsitter. I'm not even sure if they even did the basics. I do know that the iron and vacuum cleaner were never used. Even though they had it as a b & b for 2 years and we have had it for 5 years with our occupancy rate 4 times higher than when they had it, they still try to give us advice on how things should be done. And now, since they were here in Dec. we got our first not so good review and it was during the time they were here. UGH!.
Although from what I have seen here, it sounds as if that would probably be the case - but I hope innkeepers will look at this on an individual level. I know that WHEN (I am positive about this) my B & B is sold as a B & B, I will be available to the new owners AT THEIR REQUEST ONLY for advice or help and that includes innsitting for them IF they need. I plan to be as protective of this B & B after it is sold as I am as its owner, meaning do nothing to endanger it. I have learned to back off and have with many of the positions I relinquished at end of term or by finding a willing victim replacement.
I am truly sorry you had this experience.

I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?

I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?.
Think of this from the perspective of an inn owner, it's my reputation on the line. So if you want us to trust you we have to know that you can do the work. You can have breakfast on the table on time. That it lives up to our standards. That the room is cleaned the way we want it. That you can answer questions, etc.
I'll give you an example, I had two different sets of guests at the table this morning who needed a suggestion for a place to eat. One are foodies and the other a family with college kids. The restaurant suggestions were entirely different, not one restaurant in common. I had to explain local dishes to someone, because some of them don't exist anywhere else in the world.
An experienced innkeeper has the experience to know the questions to ask to get me to give them what they need before I walk out. It's the lack that experience that you have to get over. Maybe by shadowing a few innkeepers as an intern. You need to see MANY people do the job and be able to pick up the confidence so that they feel they can leave you in charge. Because you never know who might leave a review.

I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?.
This is a very old thread. I am a very small 3 room inn. I had and answering service last year when I was given the gift of a trip to Europe. I did that because much of my business comes from the phone and I jhad no way to check for or answer calls. This being my first timw (and probably last) it turned out not the best. I did not hire an innsitter because there was no room for the sitter to occupy, not because I am against having an innsitter. DH would NEVER have gone along with someone using our room (better described as a pit) and giving up one room to the innsitter would have made us a 1 room inn as 2 rooms share a bath.
How do you become an innstitter? Take innsitter classes and then find someone who needs a helper. Look for a position as an assistant innkeeper. ask an innkeeper if you can shadow them or help out for free while you build a resume. If the nest is empty, have you thought of just doing your own B & B? Take a few aspiring classes, read ALL of these threads, and if you still want to do it, perhaps just jump in like a lot of us did.

Another thing to do is learn about the most popular reservation systems for example reservation key seems to be very popular. Again my worry is a review that a staff member has caused and is not fixable and knowing you as the innsitter would deal with that customer as I would have. Some customers are just PITA's but I am not there to see him/her behave in the way you said he did. Its all about confidence that you have the right personality in a lot of ways. I would do any courses avaliable, work experience and insitting (ie on an innkeeper wants the day off basis) and read everything you can. Would be a good place to start.

Probably the next logical step is to take some classes to see if you really want to do anything like this. As Eric said, this is my business and someone who didn't have their heart and mind in it could put a dent in my livelihood.
After the classes, contact the state assn for where you live and ask them to put you in touch with innkeepers who have volunteered to mentor future innkeepers. Always remembering they volunteered to take their time, money and effort to help.
Altho reading here is an eye-opener, nothing prepares you for the reality.
welcome.gif

JPog said:
I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?
You can do an internship.
http://vocationvacations.com/
As an fyi many of us would rather close than hire innsitters. We would hire them in an emergency only. Typically innsitters are ex innkeepers, not the other way round. I think you are assuming it is the beginners who want to own an inn who inn sit. That may be a very small percent.

This is a very old thread. I am a very small 3 room inn. I had and answering service last year when I was given the gift of a trip to Europe. I did that because much of my business comes from the phone and I jhad no way to check for or answer calls. This being my first timw (and probably last) it turned out not the best. I did not hire an innsitter because there was no room for the sitter to occupy, not because I am against having an innsitter. DH would NEVER have gone along with someone using our room (better described as a pit) and giving up one room to the innsitter would have made us a 1 room inn as 2 rooms share a bath.
How do you become an innstitter? Take innsitter classes and then find someone who needs a helper. Look for a position as an assistant innkeeper. ask an innkeeper if you can shadow them or help out for free while you build a resume. If the nest is empty, have you thought of just doing your own B & B? Take a few aspiring classes, read ALL of these threads, and if you still want to do it, perhaps just jump in like a lot of us did.
gillumhouse said:
How do you become an innstitter? Take innsitter classes and then find someone who needs a helper. Look for a position as an assistant innkeeper. ask an innkeeper if you can shadow them or help out for free while you build a resume.
See this is what I disagree with. To shadow an innkeeper, for them to be training a person, they need to be paid for their time and expertise.

JPog said:
I think the best thing to do to earn confidence and start meeting innkeepers would be to attend a couple of conferences and take the Aspiring Innkeepers Class. This would give you some background and if you stay for the convention you would meet some innkeepers and they would see that you are serious about becoming an innsitter. I don't know where you live, but the MidEastern Conference is coming up and I think the New England conference is coming up.
I would join Paii and read the chat board
I would see if there are any innsitters that operate near you and see if you could work with them for free to gain some expereince. This would make more sense to me than shadowing an innkeeper. An innsitter needs to learn how to adapt to different operations and would have better tips for an aspiring innkeeper.
Our wonderful innsitters started with us "babysitting" the inn while we were out wine touring to check in guests that would arrive before us. If there is an inn near you, I would contact them to see if they would let you start doing that - watching the inn when they have a dinner or function to go to. It would give you time to learn the inn so you would know where everything is when you did innsit.
And I belive there are chat boards run by insitters for innsitters. I would start contacting other innsitters who can be found by googleing and find out what the address for those forums are.
Riki

gillumhouse said:
How do you become an innstitter? Take innsitter classes and then find someone who needs a helper. Look for a position as an assistant innkeeper. ask an innkeeper if you can shadow them or help out for free while you build a resume.
See this is what I disagree with. To shadow an innkeeper, for them to be training a person, they need to be paid for their time and expertise.
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
I wanted to learn a skill once upon a time. In two different cases it worked two different ways: teacher internships- the classroom teacher was given an amount of money to undertake having a student teacher in the classroom; second scenario was learning a trade- the owner of the shop paid me to learn the trade.
That's why I suggested contacting the state assn to find out if there were innkeepers willing to undertake the task of mentoring. Rather than willy-nilly contacting innkeepers (during breakfast, dinner, check-ins, cleaning) to try to talk to them for an hour!
If I were offering classes, I'd get paid. If someone just wants to follow me around, do some work and gain some knowledge (not experience, I'm not having them around all the time) then I'd do that for free just to weed out the bad eggs.

Back