Inn-sitters - to hire or not to hire!!??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?.
JPog said:
I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?
You can do an internship.
http://vocationvacations.com/
As an fyi many of us would rather close than hire innsitters. We would hire them in an emergency only. Typically innsitters are ex innkeepers, not the other way round. I think you are assuming it is the beginners who want to own an inn who inn sit. That may be a very small percent.
Whoa... I can have someone pay to stay and clean the rooms? Seriously? I don't think I could seriously mentor someone in under a week on how to do everything.... :) Maybe two weeks. I mean it will take a few days until they get cleaning the rooms perfect. :D

I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?.
JPog said:
I am brand spanking new here, so please be nice! :) As I've stated in my profile, I'm a recent empty-nester and hopefully one day an innkeeper. The next logical step to me at this point is to become an innsitter. But as others have said here, how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?
As an fyi many of us would rather close than hire innsitters. We would hire them in an emergency only. Typically innsitters are ex innkeepers, not the other way round. I think you are assuming it is the beginners who want to own an inn who inn sit. That may be a very small percent.
Whoa... I can have someone pay to stay and clean the rooms? Seriously? I don't think I could seriously mentor someone in under a week on how to do everything.... :) Maybe two weeks. I mean it will take a few days until they get cleaning the rooms perfect. :D

JPog said:
Yes, you can do a work-stay option. Lots of farm stays do this. You could really make some bucks by telling the guests they don't quite have the whole process down.

" .....how can I break into this field if everyone only wants experienced innsitters?"
I say this, not in a snide way, but in honesty. Perhaps you can't. I would close before I would hire an innsitter without my first-hand personal knowledge that the person could handle anything. The only way to do that is to get a wealth of experience (by giving yourself away), taking courses etc and build a relationship with the innkeepers you want to serve.
If I had an emergency during high season, when everything in the area is full, and I was essentially forced into hiring someone to run the B+B I would call one of the other inns in the area and see if they had anyone they could recommend. So in that sense, once you establish your reputation with a top notch inn you may find that word of mouth works for you.

Hi,
We are looking for someone to train to run our inn. Would you be interested in training in Vermont?
kfitz

Hi,
We are looking for someone to train to run our inn. Would you be interested in training in Vermont?
kfitz
kfitz said:
Hi,
kfitz
Because this is likely to get buried, you might want to start a whole new thread possilby under 'Guest Relations' or 'Aspiring Innkeepers' if you are willing to train someone to take over for you. Give it a title that is easy to find again: Looking for an innkeeper trainee in Vermont'.

Trouble is depending on size if you only have say 5-7 rooms it may not pay to have an innsitter in. My computer software handles all my booking channels and only requires updating if we take a phone booking which is maybe 1 a day and thats unusual which luckily my mother can handle if we are away as we simply divert the phone to her home, the software can operate from anywhere with wi-fi so I can take that round to her house as well its completely portable. We usually shut for a week in February though we havn't this year but to be honest if we had shut last week we would have lost very little. We also shut over xmas but there are very few phone bookings though a huge upsurge in computer ones as people are at home and have the time to shop around.

I would be interested i talking with you. We are in Oregon.
Call my cell at 5418139082.

Back