INN the news 08.22.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My comment to the article.
But the San Sophias owner simply recognized the shifting landscape, de Pagter said.
I think we all realize that a bed-and-breakfast is an obsolete business model, he said. There used to be, 10 years ago, a half-dozen bed and breakfasts the San Sophias the only one remaining. People are moving away from bed and breakfasts, and the clientele that used to go there are dying off or getting old and gray.
I respectfully submit that this person does not have a clue about the subject of bed & breakfast as a business. IF his assertion is true, why are so many hotel chains now advertising that they offer the bed & breakfast experience? I do believe the assertion that B & B clientelle are dying off or old and gray is insulting and totally off the mark. I do happen to be an innkeeper and many of my guests are young people - some just finishing college - who are trying a bed & breakfast and once they do, become converts to choosing a B & B over a hotel. They like the personal attention and the feeling of (their word) hominess. My guests appreciate being treated as the important people they are - they ARE my guests so they are important! Perhaps the true reason for this assertion is that a B & B will not make huge profits and requires a lot of work. But my B & B allows me to live in the city I choose to live in and in the big, old, lovely house I want to live in and have many visitors - both new and returning...
I've actually had very few gray haired guests here.
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
That's only because we dyed our hair before we came...
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
WE? Oh you must mean the Mr Gnomey.
Haha! How is Mr. Gnomey? My dh has been the one with the gray hair here - I think he's older than any guest we've had. I asked him & he actually agrees.
Samster said:
Haha! How is Mr. Gnomey? My dh has been the one with the gray hair here - I think he's older than any guest we've had. I asked him & he actually agrees.
Remember my guest who was the old grey mare and her hubby the young man. I have encounter TWO of that situation in this B&B. SUre I have had 10 or 15 yr diff's, but this was DRASTIC. We are talking she with a CANE and OSTEO and he is like 30 years old.
Sugar mama!
Willowpondgj said:
Sugar mama!
I shared this at the time on the old forum. She was pouring out her heart to me how she misses him so much when he goes out of town for work.
We had another couple where she was way way way older and was missing teeth and had "un done" hair. By that I mean, not granny dryer hair frm the salon, just old lady hair, unkempt. I could NOT figure that one out for the life of me. He was maybe 45, she was near 90.
The other one must have been Mrs Boo-koo bucks or something. That latest one, who knows. ODD!

My comment to the article.
But the San Sophias owner simply recognized the shifting landscape, de Pagter said.
I think we all realize that a bed-and-breakfast is an obsolete business model, he said. There used to be, 10 years ago, a half-dozen bed and breakfasts the San Sophias the only one remaining. People are moving away from bed and breakfasts, and the clientele that used to go there are dying off or getting old and gray.
I respectfully submit that this person does not have a clue about the subject of bed & breakfast as a business. IF his assertion is true, why are so many hotel chains now advertising that they offer the bed & breakfast experience? I do believe the assertion that B & B clientelle are dying off or old and gray is insulting and totally off the mark. I do happen to be an innkeeper and many of my guests are young people - some just finishing college - who are trying a bed & breakfast and once they do, become converts to choosing a B & B over a hotel. They like the personal attention and the feeling of (their word) hominess. My guests appreciate being treated as the important people they are - they ARE my guests so they are important! Perhaps the true reason for this assertion is that a B & B will not make huge profits and requires a lot of work. But my B & B allows me to live in the city I choose to live in and in the big, old, lovely house I want to live in and have many visitors - both new and returning...
teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
Samster said:
teeth_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif
WE? Oh you must mean the Mr Gnomey.
Samster said:
Remember my guest who was the old grey mare and her hubby the young man. I have encounter TWO of that situation in this B&B. SUre I have had 10 or 15 yr diff's, but this was DRASTIC. We are talking she with a CANE and OSTEO and he is like 30 years old.
My next husband will definitely be younger. tee hee...
devil_smile.gif

Back