Inn the news April 14, 2012

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
First inn the news on it's own for comments - this inn in VA has been for sale for quite a while. We have discussed this issue (the main issue) the reviewer comments on here in the past. We have discussed deferred maintenance and also deferred customer service! This is a shame to be in the WaPost.
Bed Check: At the Mark Addy Inn in Nellysford, Va., silence reigns
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Washington Post[/COLOR]

[tr]

[tr]

Fredericksburg home, one of city's oldest, expanded by noted artist
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Austin American-Statesman[/COLOR]
"Besides a home," Sofia says, "it could be a wine-tasting showroom for a winery or group of wineries, a bed and breakfast, a restaurant, antique store or artist compound." Built in the early 1850s by Carl Weyrich and modernized in the 1920s by FW ...
See all stories on this topic »
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Flight of fancy in Skipton
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Manchester Evening News[/COLOR]
I'm used to a Dales hotel or B&B being just a base for bed and breakfast as there is plenty to see elsewhere. Did The Coniston really need to be some sort of countryside theme park with Malham and the rest of the Yorkshire Dales National Park on its ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

Canadians share Titanic tales: valour, duty, heartbreak and serendipity
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Globe and Mail[/COLOR]
Anyway, the widows were given a very compensation after the disaster, so my grandmother opened a bed and breakfast and I moved to Canada in the 1970s. I still have a rivet from the Titanic and will be returning to Belfast for the Centennial ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

From High-Powered Magazine Editor To Head Of A Mini Bed And Breakfast Empire
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Business Insider[/COLOR]
By night, she took on a different role, racing home to tend to guests at a bed and breakfast in a historic Brooklyn mansion. After years of attempting to juggle the two competing worlds, she realized she had to choose. In 2002, Greenwood left her job ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Fresh faces attempt to revitalize old Victorian Inn
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Port Huron Times Herald[/COLOR]
1998: Marvin Burke bought the “grand dame” from the Secorys and Petersons, continuing to operate it as a bed and breakfast. He closed the business in 2001. • 2002: Christine Smith and Dan Nichols took over the Victorian Inn. • 2004: Smith and Nichols ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

Russian revelation: Suzdal's picture-postcard B&B
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]The Guardian[/COLOR]
The words "bed & breakfast" and "Russia" have not often been seen in the same sentence. In Soviet times, foreign tourists were usually holed up with their Pravda-spouting guides in soulless hotels of multi-storey concrete. And while today's consumerist ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

What's the Deal? This week's best travel bargains around the globe.
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Washington Post[/COLOR]
For example, a suite for two at the Waters Run Guest House & Suite bed-and-breakfast inn is now $190 for three nights (plus $15 taxes), a savings of $95. Discounted activity choices include a pass to Smiley's Fun Zone family entertainment center for ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Vacation on a shoestring
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Winnipeg Free Press[/COLOR]
The 3B Bed and Breakfast in Brooklyn is trendy, but more importantly, inexpensively trendy. You can get a private room with a queen-size bed for less than $150 a night in the middle of July. A bunk in a dorm will cost you less than $50.
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

OH my...though I am not surprised. What a "TONGUE IN CHEEK" review. They won't be glad for this one.

I think the writer brings up some valid points and I wonder if they knew who she was when they took the rez? To chat or not to chat is one thing, to be totally absent without allowing the guest a reasonable way to contact you is another. And to have the guest call numerous times before getting a response is not a good thing at all.
I am impressed by the author's request to owners to actually check the sleepability of the rooms! Most people just complain but they never offer this advice.
Took a look at the website, too. One of Joey's favorite peeves front and center- long-past holiday specials on the home page.

I think the writer brings up some valid points and I wonder if they knew who she was when they took the rez? To chat or not to chat is one thing, to be totally absent without allowing the guest a reasonable way to contact you is another. And to have the guest call numerous times before getting a response is not a good thing at all.
I am impressed by the author's request to owners to actually check the sleepability of the rooms! Most people just complain but they never offer this advice.
Took a look at the website, too. One of Joey's favorite peeves front and center- long-past holiday specials on the home page..
The website is a newer website from what they had. This inn is for for sale, has been for a long time.

No comment.
Riki.
Riki your "no comment" speaks volumes
confused_smile.gif

It was interesting to read that review. It was hard to tell how snarky the author was being. There were problems, for sure, but emphasizing the 'aloneness' would certainly appeal to those guests who don't like B&Bs because of all the people 'around.'
They don't say that they work for the WaPo when they make the res, although they might use their real names. An innmate who was bed-checked googled the name and figured it out but not until they had checked in, I think. I'm really bad at figuring that stuff out - I've been surprise-inspected now three times and never had a clue the person was an inspector.
I have just made reservations at a small-ish B&B in a very popular tourist destination. Several phone calls went to voicemail (a machine voice standard greeting) and emails went unanswered - one for days, the other never answered. There is no online booking and not much info on the website. They promise a bountiful breakfast but I wasn't asked if I had any dietary restrictions. It has good TA reviews and I'm sure it will be fine, but if I weren't a determined B&B goer I would be discouraged. At times like this, I have more empathy with PAII pushing us - I think on this forum it's preaching to the choir but there are a lot of B&Bs out there that need a push.

Back