Inn the news April 5, 2012

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Planning board votes against bed and breakfast amendment
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]WECT-TV6[/COLOR]
Planning board votes against bed and breakfast amendment WECT-TV6 Evidence must be presented that the bed and breakfast operated with bedrooms rented to overnight guests and provided breakfast for at least 180 days within the 18-month period. Property owners would have to show a guestbook and other documentation to ...
This is very interesting.

People love to regulate... found it interesting that B&Bs can not be on the same block as one another too

And I thought New York was over regulated!
I had to provide blue prints of the upstairs from an engineering firm (even though I'm not altering anything), an explanation of a 10 question survey mostly regarding environmental impact, traffic, use of public utilites, etc.
Cough up a $150.00 plus the above mentioned costs to obtain these documents so that it could go before the Town Board for what they call here a "special use" permit.
After I get the required interlocking smoke and CO2 detectors I will have an inspection for the "certificate of occupancy" which consists of documentation and the board of health coming through. They will check the septic system to be sure it can handle the "increased" demand and make sure that I have the required 5.6 square foot windows in the bedrooms to be used as an emergency egress. Also, fire ladders in each bedroom. That's National Fire Code. Was rather dumbfounded by the room that had no windows because that is totally illegal as sleeping quarters. According to National Code you must have 2 ingress/egress for each room that is a bedroom.
Since I am not going to provide a fresh egg based breakfast I can avoid the additional inspections and $250. or so cost for that license yearly. It may be more but that is what the Board of Health suggested to me last spring. From what I gather I just have to pay $150. a year for the health board inspection for the other items for their inspection and re-certification.
I found it rather ironic that I was zoned single family residential since my home has been a 3 family multiple dwelling as long as I recall. I just remember my grandparents talking about it when it was a single family. Also kind of weird because I am completely surrounded by a golfcourse which is zoned commercial. I don't want to go there, taxes are sky high for that zoning. Also, maybe 500 yards or so away there is farm land which is zoned agricultural. Go figure.
I was told I was "grandfathered" into the regulation because I was already exisiting. They don't have that clause in North Carolina?

Colleen this is what all of us had to go through and go through. This is why we speak of things to aspirings about licensing and permits before they remodel or jump in with both feet. Most of the time people just think the forum is mean and doesn't know what they are talking about. Multiple family dwelling is not commercial or business zoned, it is residential.
Every area is different. There are plenty here who can tell you stories on what they had to do, and do.

Colleen this is what all of us had to go through and go through. This is why we speak of things to aspirings about licensing and permits before they remodel or jump in with both feet. Most of the time people just think the forum is mean and doesn't know what they are talking about. Multiple family dwelling is not commercial or business zoned, it is residential.
Every area is different. There are plenty here who can tell you stories on what they had to do, and do..
You are so right JB! I am still going through hoops. To get our septic in we had to estimate occupancy, which did not have to to with just bedrooms, but the potential for a commercial kitchen--because we have an old out of date one. Then to put in new wiring, we had to have a different occupancy set, because of the square footage not the number of bedrooms--we are now set for 80 for electrical, and 32 for septic! Go Figure! Don't get me going on Fire Code here, still going through those hoops. Grandfathering does not count if property changes hands, codes kick in.

Even if it isn't zone commerical you can be taxed commerical.
whattha.gif
Check it out!

whattha.gif
Check it out!.
Ice said:
whattha.gif
Check it out!
That is very common. 78% of our inn (the part used by guests) and 100% of our single-family rental property are taxed at commercial rates, which are double the residential tax rates. Neither is in a commericially-zoned area - our inn is in a residential zone with a variance to be a B&B and our rental is in a strictly residential zone.

Yeah, we even get to pay tax on our fence, sign and front porch furniture (as a business). We are in a residential area.

Yeah, we even get to pay tax on our fence, sign and front porch furniture (as a business). We are in a residential area..
Joey Bloggs said:
Yeah, we even get to pay tax on our fence, sign and front porch furniture (as a business). We are in a residential area.
Don't get me going on business equipment tax. Every bed, chair, dish, lamp, rug, you name it.

Yeah, we even get to pay tax on our fence, sign and front porch furniture (as a business). We are in a residential area..
Joey Bloggs said:
Don't get me going on business equipment tax. Every bed, chair, dish, lamp, rug, you name it.
Every knife, fork, spoon. I have stopped claiming things on my income tax schedule C because I will have to pay on it forever after. Not worth it.

And I thought New York was over regulated!
I had to provide blue prints of the upstairs from an engineering firm (even though I'm not altering anything), an explanation of a 10 question survey mostly regarding environmental impact, traffic, use of public utilites, etc.
Cough up a $150.00 plus the above mentioned costs to obtain these documents so that it could go before the Town Board for what they call here a "special use" permit.
After I get the required interlocking smoke and CO2 detectors I will have an inspection for the "certificate of occupancy" which consists of documentation and the board of health coming through. They will check the septic system to be sure it can handle the "increased" demand and make sure that I have the required 5.6 square foot windows in the bedrooms to be used as an emergency egress. Also, fire ladders in each bedroom. That's National Fire Code. Was rather dumbfounded by the room that had no windows because that is totally illegal as sleeping quarters. According to National Code you must have 2 ingress/egress for each room that is a bedroom.
Since I am not going to provide a fresh egg based breakfast I can avoid the additional inspections and $250. or so cost for that license yearly. It may be more but that is what the Board of Health suggested to me last spring. From what I gather I just have to pay $150. a year for the health board inspection for the other items for their inspection and re-certification.
I found it rather ironic that I was zoned single family residential since my home has been a 3 family multiple dwelling as long as I recall. I just remember my grandparents talking about it when it was a single family. Also kind of weird because I am completely surrounded by a golfcourse which is zoned commercial. I don't want to go there, taxes are sky high for that zoning. Also, maybe 500 yards or so away there is farm land which is zoned agricultural. Go figure.
I was told I was "grandfathered" into the regulation because I was already exisiting. They don't have that clause in North Carolina?.
Colleen, welcome to the club. Most of us have jumped through numerous hoops. Every locale has different regulations for permits, licensing, inspections, and taxation. That's why we tell it like it is here on the forum and advise aspirings to "do their homework" and due diligence about the property that they want to be an inn or B&B. We're not being harsh about it, just telling the truth.
Best of luck!

Back