Inn the news Dec 21, 2010

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine that 'Server not Servant' site is a bit like here. Might have to check it out.

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Cagayan hotel fire: Death toll rises to 16[/FONT]
Manila Standard Today
The fire razed the Bed and Breakfast Pension House in Tuguegarao city, early Sunday, killing 15 people. Nine of the victims were nursing students in town to ...
Tuguegarao mayor faces raps
Journal Online
Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo said initial investigation showed that the local fire department never inspected the Bed and Breakfast ...
JB - I know there are some B&B's on this forum that have not been inspected and approved by their local fire departments. I am not into big gvmt but I am into public safety, and common sense. I 100% believe to obtain an occupancy permit you should be required to pass a fire dept inspection. These are the easiest to comply with, and for them to spot - in their line of work - any potential hazards.

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Tourism is up in Southern Oregon[/FONT]
Mail Tribune
The region's hotels, motels and bed and breakfast establishments were 44.5 percent full during the month, and revenue per available room reached $29.67, ...

blog
Try a Bed and Breakfast in 2011
By LisaB
BedandBreakfast.com is a great site to browse. Last year we found this Bed and Breakfast called “Saravilla“ in Alma, Michigan. If you've never been to a bed and breakfast maybe you'll consider trying one in 2011. Why I like bed.

Yes that's all I need that they decide to introduce more regulations and require me to have a sprinkler system and individual exits from every room to the outside, as opposed to a main corridor. I would have to shut down, like others have had to

Yes that's all I need that they decide to introduce more regulations and require me to have a sprinkler system and individual exits from every room to the outside, as opposed to a main corridor. I would have to shut down, like others have had to.
agoodman said:
Yes that's all I need that they decide to introduce more regulations and require me to have a sprinkler system and individual exits from every room to the outside, as opposed to a main corridor. I would have to shut down, like others have had to
Safety at a B&B is not a personal choice, it is public health and safety. Did you read the article?

Yes I did and I also read how B&B's who are required to put in sprinkler systems, $50K vents and exits from every room have to shut down
I don't underestimate my guest's safety, I do more than is required by my county but we cannot be treated the same as large hotels for "requirements"
Even the new Serv Safe regs forget that sometimes there is only ONE person doing it all, should I have to serve breakfast in a hair net?

Yes I did and I also read how B&B's who are required to put in sprinkler systems, $50K vents and exits from every room have to shut down
I don't underestimate my guest's safety, I do more than is required by my county but we cannot be treated the same as large hotels for "requirements"
Even the new Serv Safe regs forget that sometimes there is only ONE person doing it all, should I have to serve breakfast in a hair net?.
Arrggggg!!! RUFF RUFF!!!
DUKES UP ANYONE ABOUT ANYTHING SNARL GROWL!
It's all about you...yeah every post on every thread, is always about you.

Mail Tribune
The region's hotels, motels and bed and breakfast establishments were 44.5 percent full during the month, and revenue per available room reached $29.67, ....
Joey Bloggs said:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman'][COLOR= rgb(17, 17, 204)]Tourism is up in Southern Oregon[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Mail Tribune[/COLOR]
The region's hotels, motels and bed and breakfast establishments were 44.5 percent full during the month, and revenue per available room reached $29.67, ...
Revenue per available room? Is that RevPar? So, how do you calculate that? Take all the revenue (no tax) and divide by the number of rooms you have? Really, I don't know how to do it, please explain. I think I'm doing it wrong because I don't get anything near those numbers.

Yes that's all I need that they decide to introduce more regulations and require me to have a sprinkler system and individual exits from every room to the outside, as opposed to a main corridor. I would have to shut down, like others have had to.
We ended up having to go to the Legislature to get legal. B & Bs were not in the code so we were eother a hotel/motel or a rooming house - the 2 categories in the CODE per the inspectors. We WANTED a requirement that a folding ladder be in each guest room. What we got was either 2 interior staircases (old mansions, etc with maid's stairs now OK), OR sprinklers, OR every room accesses directly to outside (ie one member has sleeping porches from each room or a balcony), OR a COVERED outside staircase to ground that is accessed by a door that is accessible to everyone on that floor. Our membership numbers actually went UP when we fought for this legislation. And we had to fight hard to get this out of Committee and on the agenda even. Yes, we asked for legislation - it protected us and our guests.

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Cagayan hotel fire: Death toll rises to 16[/FONT]
Manila Standard Today
The fire razed the Bed and Breakfast Pension House in Tuguegarao city, early Sunday, killing 15 people. Nine of the victims were nursing students in town to ...
Tuguegarao mayor faces raps
Journal Online
Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo said initial investigation showed that the local fire department never inspected the Bed and Breakfast ...
JB - I know there are some B&B's on this forum that have not been inspected and approved by their local fire departments. I am not into big gvmt but I am into public safety, and common sense. I 100% believe to obtain an occupancy permit you should be required to pass a fire dept inspection. These are the easiest to comply with, and for them to spot - in their line of work - any potential hazards..
For our size place, we didn't have to have a fire inspection for the occupancy permit. I thought this was kind of odd. Here, they seem to focus more on restaurants, bars, and clubs where there are lots of people in one place. (Of course, the large hotels/motels have fire safety requirements.)
I'll never forget when the owner of one of the long standing B&Bs remarked on how we had emergency flashlights plugged into each guest room and in the stairways, etc. Apparently they had not been required to do it and therefore didn't even think of it. We have big rain storms through here all the time with the potential for power outages! Small cost item to help out the guests if needed.
It was not until one of the larger B&Bs applied for a liquor license that one of the requirements was to sprinkle only the main part of the inn. They are weird here....

Mail Tribune
The region's hotels, motels and bed and breakfast establishments were 44.5 percent full during the month, and revenue per available room reached $29.67, ....
Joey Bloggs said:
[FONT= 'Times New Roman'][COLOR= rgb(17, 17, 204)]Tourism is up in Southern Oregon[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Mail Tribune[/COLOR]
Revenue per available room? Is that RevPar? So, how do you calculate that? Take all the revenue (no tax) and divide by the number of rooms you have? Really, I don't know how to do it, please explain. I think I'm doing it wrong because I don't get anything near those numbers.
REVPAR is your total revenue divided by the total number of ROOMS X POTENTIAL NIGHTS IN THAT MONTH
ie if you have 4 rooms and you are calculating for Jan (31 days)
31x4 = 124 potential room night
so if you revenue was $5000
5000/124 = revpar $40.32
This is actually MUCH more important than anything else!!!
I will see B&B's that are for sale that say "average rate = $120" but they don't say their occupancy is only 15% ... or their revpar is $12...

Back