Inn the news Dec 8, 2010

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one bothers the heck out of me! I am listed with them and I have one heck of a discount year round for Vets (cops & firemen also). I think 15% in-season and 25% off-season would have been worth mentioning plus the plug about being part of the beginning. Snarl!

This one bothers the heck out of me! I am listed with them and I have one heck of a discount year round for Vets (cops & firemen also). I think 15% in-season and 25% off-season would have been worth mentioning plus the plug about being part of the beginning. Snarl!.
gillumhouse said:
This one bothers the heck out of me! I am listed with them and I have one heck of a discount year round for Vets (cops & firemen also). I think 15% in-season and 25% off-season would have been worth mentioning plus the plug about being part of the beginning. Snarl!
It sounded to me like they are riding on the coattails of your Vets project and all the publicity it generated.
Riki

It was a common theme among a lot of innkeepers that they have year-round military discounts or other programs - those innkeepers wanted to know why couldn't those be included? The PAII forum had a lengthy discussion about it, and should the vets website 'asterisk' B&Bs who weren't offering the free night but had another discount available. I don't want to muddy the waters of the Vets night program with other stuff, but I don't have a problem with some PR about discounts for veterans year-round. Bnbfinder also has a page devoted to military specials, and mentioned it in their story on the Vets night promotion. It's still a good thing for the industry to give back to vets, no matter when it is, and inns should get recognized for those donations.
Sure, there's some coattail riding - why wouldn't a marketing person strike while the iron is hot? They did at least mention the Vets night program, and maybe they chose to give PR to some of their members who weren't able to get it from that program.

I did not object to the "riding the coattails" part of it. Keep it rolling. I was hurt that I am a paid subscriber to that Directory as is another who was knee-deep involved and there was not even a fleeting mention of either. Lord knows I could use all the coattails i can get here in Podunk. It was the fact of it being a press release from a Dirrectory I am a paid up member of that rankled. If I anin't paying - I do not belong. I do want to keep the B & B press rolling......

I did not object to the "riding the coattails" part of it. Keep it rolling. I was hurt that I am a paid subscriber to that Directory as is another who was knee-deep involved and there was not even a fleeting mention of either. Lord knows I could use all the coattails i can get here in Podunk. It was the fact of it being a press release from a Dirrectory I am a paid up member of that rankled. If I anin't paying - I do not belong. I do want to keep the B & B press rolling.......
gillumhouse said:
I do want to keep the B & B press rolling......
I'm glad to see that. Makes me wonder if we should transition to a different page on the vets website of year-round military discounts. I will bring that up to the webmaster when he is in a good mood.
I didn't write that press release, but knowing how they do the PR for Iloveinns, they probably looked for members who haven't got a mention in awhile or didn't get mentioned in much of the PR that went out for the vets night promotion. Just my guess, though. Really, Iloveinns ought to have a page with military specials and have pointed to that, to get other members with specials some love.

It was a common theme among a lot of innkeepers that they have year-round military discounts or other programs - those innkeepers wanted to know why couldn't those be included? The PAII forum had a lengthy discussion about it, and should the vets website 'asterisk' B&Bs who weren't offering the free night but had another discount available. I don't want to muddy the waters of the Vets night program with other stuff, but I don't have a problem with some PR about discounts for veterans year-round. Bnbfinder also has a page devoted to military specials, and mentioned it in their story on the Vets night promotion. It's still a good thing for the industry to give back to vets, no matter when it is, and inns should get recognized for those donations.
Sure, there's some coattail riding - why wouldn't a marketing person strike while the iron is hot? They did at least mention the Vets night program, and maybe they chose to give PR to some of their members who weren't able to get it from that program..
muirford said:
Sure, there's some coattail riding - why wouldn't a marketing person strike while the iron is hot? They did at least mention the Vets night program, and maybe they chose to give PR to some of their members who weren't able to get it from that program.
EXACTLY! No offense, Kathleen, but I saw your name along with your Inn and town name in the press everyday due to the bnb4vets thing, and was jealous, as no doubt these others were!! Can't blame them for grasping at some way to keep the exposure going.

Sure, there's some coattail riding - why wouldn't a marketing person strike while the iron is hot? They did at least mention the Vets night program, and maybe they chose to give PR to some of their members who weren't able to get it from that program..
muirford said:
EXACTLY! No offense, Kathleen, but I saw your name along with your Inn and town name in the press everyday due to the bnb4vets thing, and was jealous, as no doubt these others were!! Can't blame them for grasping at some way to keep the exposure going.
It may have been there, but the only time my phone was ringing was with vets wanting me to make a rez in Texas, Calif, etc or how do I get a room/how do I find a room or a pissed off innkeeper who was either not listed yet or was not marked full. Other inns reported getting reservations (paid) for other dates. Unfortunately, I did not get surprised this time - it was business as usual - others got the $$$ benefits of a project I spearheaded. It has happened before with other projects that were not on this scale. So no need to be jealous. I doubt if most even registered my name other than to pick up the phone to ask the above questions - not for rooms.

This one bothers the heck out of me! I am listed with them and I have one heck of a discount year round for Vets (cops & firemen also). I think 15% in-season and 25% off-season would have been worth mentioning plus the plug about being part of the beginning. Snarl!.
gillumhouse said:
It sounded to me like they are riding on the coattails of your Vets project and all the publicity it generated.
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Raise your hand if you are surprised!
BTW, my hand stayed down. This doesn't shock me in the least. Unfortunately :(
ETA: My thought process was this: either you support the military or you don't. Either you flew your flag before Sept 11, or you didn't. If you only support a cause because of the publicity, doesn't that seem as if you are a hyporcrite? And I thought it was determined that guests can feel if something is fake.

muirford said:
wendydk said:
muirford said:
WHAT!!!! - Jealous??? Why would you ever think that considering all the EXTRA work Kathleen & others did to make that program a sucess. They deserved the extra PR. Each B&B had an opportunity to get their OWN PR with that promotion - but you must take some initiative to do your own press releases to make that happen. There were several on this forum that did and got some PR.

Very well said, Jeanne. You can't begrudge another innkeeper for making the most of a marketing opportunity. :)

muirford said:
wendydk said:
muirford said:
WHAT!!!! - Jealous??? Why would you ever think that considering all the EXTRA work Kathleen & others did to make that program a sucess. They deserved the extra PR. Each B&B had an opportunity to get their OWN PR with that promotion - but you must take some initiative to do your own press releases to make that happen. There were several on this forum that did and got some PR.
copperhead said:
Oh come on CH, I was not exactly serious about being jealous, considering I was in the middle of the sale of the Inn and STILL sent emails out to our county group and to all my MIG members encouraging them to join the show. K. certainly deserves some business out of this, not just the recognition as the founder.

Very well said, Jeanne. You can't begrudge another innkeeper for making the most of a marketing opportunity. :)
I was not begrudging the other innkeepers - I was a bit disconcerted is the word I guess because the 2 who were up to their keisters with it - AND subscribers to the Directory in question - did not even allude to us. It was a Directory news release, not the inns themselves. I want every possible drop of mention I can get for my place. I need heads in beds as much as anyone. And I gurantee you that I will get less paid reservations bwcause of my involvement than anyone else will. Fact of life. Not complaining, just stating. History repeats.

I was not begrudging the other innkeepers - I was a bit disconcerted is the word I guess because the 2 who were up to their keisters with it - AND subscribers to the Directory in question - did not even allude to us. It was a Directory news release, not the inns themselves. I want every possible drop of mention I can get for my place. I need heads in beds as much as anyone. And I gurantee you that I will get less paid reservations bwcause of my involvement than anyone else will. Fact of life. Not complaining, just stating. History repeats.
Well, I disagree because you said that you were upset about it. Spread the love around....there's nothing wrong with other inns getting a moment in the spotlight is all I'm saying. Everything that I read during the course of that promotion pretty much mentioned you and your place. So you definitely got a lot of publicity out of it.

Well, I disagree because you said that you were upset about it. Spread the love around....there's nothing wrong with other inns getting a moment in the spotlight is all I'm saying. Everything that I read during the course of that promotion pretty much mentioned you and your place. So you definitely got a lot of publicity out of it.
Samster said:
What annoyed me was not that other inns were getting into the limelight, but a directory that is not popular was doing it. I Love Inns was the one that was riding on the coattails. I don't recall them getting in and supporting the BnB for Vets when we all were. Looks like they are trying to get their directory some PR after the fact.
Riki

Back