Inn the news Feb 25, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Bed-and-Breakfast Inns Being Sold as Vacation Homes[/FONT]
New York Times
Jeanne Genovese is looking to sell her bed-and-breakfast in Cutchogue either as a business or a single-family home. By MARCELLE S. FISCHLER ELEVEN years ago Jeanne and Lou Genovese bought two and a half acres on a quiet lane in the middle of North Fork ...

This is one of our wineries (next county over) in the WA POST weekend escape section
Shares a driveway to the farm where I send guests for moonlight trail rides (well, we have done it, only one set of guests have gone there!) This is also a place that has the most beuaitufl backdrop - red barn, green fields, blue mountains...and a field of sunflowers they use to draw in the bees for the orchards! It is a lovely spot!
Escapes: At a Virginia winery, a taste of fun[/h1]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/23/AR2011022307568.html

[requirement: a fire escape ladder in each upstairs bedroom?]
does any one else on this forum have this requirement? I've never heard of such a thing!

does any one else on this forum have this requirement? I've never heard of such a thing!.
We attempted to get that in the Fire Code here - as a work-around the outside staircase and sprinkler BS - but the Fire Marshal would have none of it and got the Legislature to agree with him. Those ladders are between $50 & $100 each and go over the window still giving every room an escape NOW way out without opening a door to possiblly an inferno or create a "flash". This would be a lot less expensive than sprinklers in an old house and since many of our B & Bs are rural with wells or spring water would require a water storage tank with pressure to feed those sprinklers.... $$$$$$$$$. Those were the most cost-effective way we could come up with to offer as a solution to the problem when we went to change the Codes. We had a problem that we took to the Legislature WITH an acceptable solution on the table that would cost us, but a lot lessthan what was being demanded. We felt presenting a solution was better than asking them for one. Oh, we failed because the Fire Marshal convinced them they were not safe - finding a door in a strange house through smoke and flames was safer than opening a window, setting a ladder in place, and using it.

does any one else on this forum have this requirement? I've never heard of such a thing!.
Victoria said:
does any one else on this forum have this requirement? I've never heard of such a thing!
Absolutely it is the law, if you have no egress, ie roof to hop onto and jump off to your death.
tounge_smile.gif

It's not the law for us, but we have the fire escape ladder in the closet of our upstairs suite. They are inexpensive and an extra layer of cya for us even though there is egress. It's better to be cautious since we don't have a sprinkler system.

Victoria said:
We have to have sprinklers on every guest room floor. No one has ever mentioned fire escape ladders, but all of my upstairs rooms have roofs outside the windows so, technically, you could go out a window and run along the roof to safety, or at least be out of the building and visible to the fire dept.

We do have it here but in our house you can get outside to roofs via windows that actually do open (although in a fire, you should just get out as quickly as possible!).
However, the fire department supposedly has inspected the last remaining B&B here on several occasions and they do not. They also do not have any emergency lights.
hmmmmm........

Victoria said:
We have to have sprinklers on every guest room floor. No one has ever mentioned fire escape ladders, but all of my upstairs rooms have roofs outside the windows so, technically, you could go out a window and run along the roof to safety, or at least be out of the building and visible to the fire dept.
A Fire Commissioner told me sprinklers are not designed to save people - they save property. The temp required to set off a sprinkler would have already toasted the people.

Our best friend is a battalian chief inTacoma Fire and other friends in the fire service, there are fire codes for a reason, and they are for saving lives. Old houses are the worst, of course, as they were not built with that in mind. It always amazes me when innkeepers think public safety is not an issue. For those who have not been inspected by the fire dept, you might consider it for your peace of mind and the safety of your guests. How you can get an occupancy permit without a safety inspection is mind boggling.

What makes me cross is when they want to enforce something that is not helpful ie having ladders how is this not helpful? One hopes that they are never used but.... we have two staircases down and an external fire escape as well we have a fire door on every landing and (we are two terraces knocked together) between the houses as well. Every bedroom door is a fire door and has an automatic closer. They also have tape stuff (don't know the technical term) that expands and clamps the door shut should there be a fire inside which stops it spreading. (was a gimp to fit I can tell you). We also have a smoke and heat fire alarm and emergency lighting. We don't have any old style foam furniture either) It also helps our building is made of stone and we are no candle and no smoking. We all do what is common sense and the best we can with the sometimes ancient buidings we operate out of. As one lady I spoke to said "we live there to you know!!

OK, shall we talk fire hazards? Just cleaned a room in which the guest had placed an electric blanket UNDER all of the quilts, blankets, down duvets on her bed. Then piled all of her luggage up on top of it, left it on HIGH and went out.
Hello people! What are you thinking? Luckily, I saw the lighted regulator at the foot of the bed because the bed was made. I reached in under the covers and it was HOT. Turned that puppy off tout de suite.
She probably did the same yesterday when she arrived. So that electric blanket has been on (HIGH) for 18+ hours now.

OK, shall we talk fire hazards? Just cleaned a room in which the guest had placed an electric blanket UNDER all of the quilts, blankets, down duvets on her bed. Then piled all of her luggage up on top of it, left it on HIGH and went out.
Hello people! What are you thinking? Luckily, I saw the lighted regulator at the foot of the bed because the bed was made. I reached in under the covers and it was HOT. Turned that puppy off tout de suite.
She probably did the same yesterday when she arrived. So that electric blanket has been on (HIGH) for 18+ hours now..
People bring electric blankets when they travel?? Interesting....

She probably did the same yesterday when she arrived. So that electric blanket has been on (HIGH) for 18+ hours now..
Samster said:
First time I've ever seen that. Doesn't mean others haven't brought them. Maybe they were thinking it would be really cold here? And that we wouldn't have heat or proper bedding? And it was hot in that room- close to 75. Had to turn that down, too.

Samster said:
First time I've ever seen that. Doesn't mean others haven't brought them. Maybe they were thinking it would be really cold here? And that we wouldn't have heat or proper bedding? And it was hot in that room- close to 75. Had to turn that down, too.
what a moron! plus your electric bill. I had some guests last week who left all the lights on when they were out do you think they do that when they are at home as well? Good thing I have all energy saving bulbs.

MOST electric blankets have a 10 hour timer and shut off after 10 hours. To have it the way you describe - they are without doubt IDJITS!!!

MOST electric blankets have a 10 hour timer and shut off after 10 hours. To have it the way you describe - they are without doubt IDJITS!!!
You're right. I forgot about the timer thing. This one looks really old.

Back