Inn the news Feb 8, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tippnews.com/local/willowtree-bed-breakfast-close/
Actually the above link is for the article below
On Sunday we received notice from several soon-to-be brides who had scheduled either their wedding or reception at Tipp City’s premiere bed and breakfast, the Willowtree Inn at 1900 W. State Route 571. We worked with the Tipp City Area Chamber of Commerce on Monday morning to confirm the brides’ claims… that the Willowtree Inn indeed closed its doors on Feb 1st.
Sunday evening we noticed that the website had been taken down, along with their facebook and twitter pages. Calls went unanswered to to the disconnected phone number on record."

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Comforting to guests and the environment[/FONT]
Richmond Register
By Nita Brewer Grubb Register Correspondent BEREA — Nestled in the knob country is the Pinnacle View Inn, an energy-efficient bed and breakfast operated by ...
oops, removed that. sorry.

It is kind of an odd situation We have had B&B's near me sell and become houses and I always wonder what happens to their guests. There seems to be two ways of dealing with it either tell them all (phone, mail etc) or others which I think is a bit harsh don't tell anyone and just disapear. I would never do that and if I could I would find them somewhere else however I wouldnt sell this place to anyone who wasnt' going to operate it as a B&B on principle.

It is kind of an odd situation We have had B&B's near me sell and become houses and I always wonder what happens to their guests. There seems to be two ways of dealing with it either tell them all (phone, mail etc) or others which I think is a bit harsh don't tell anyone and just disapear. I would never do that and if I could I would find them somewhere else however I wouldnt sell this place to anyone who wasnt' going to operate it as a B&B on principle..
This is also an issue when you buy a B&B that remains a B&B, I like to remind aspirings to have it in the contract uPfront that the inn continues to operate during the transition (give maybe one week to move out and new owners to move in).
Otherwise the new owners will let all marketing lapse, and really don't care to answer the phone and take any bookings.
THIS HAPPENS.
Here is a story I have not shared. We moved in. I found a simple slim line phone and plugged it in and there was beeping on it. WHAT THE? I click and sure enough, they had voicemail ON the phone line (not a machine) and there were dozens of messages for people wanting to stay for some event. I WAS NOT PLEASED. I stood there in an empty room with no furniture or desk or pc and said "What do I do now?"
They also sold Gift Certificates and they had kept NO TRACK OF THEM. (same for those who sold them and now it is a private residence, what now?)

It is kind of an odd situation We have had B&B's near me sell and become houses and I always wonder what happens to their guests. There seems to be two ways of dealing with it either tell them all (phone, mail etc) or others which I think is a bit harsh don't tell anyone and just disapear. I would never do that and if I could I would find them somewhere else however I wouldnt sell this place to anyone who wasnt' going to operate it as a B&B on principle..
We had a B&B here that had been in business for almost 15 years. They decided to close at the end of a certain month last year. The next day their website was gone & the phone was gone. I don't think they told their repeat guests that they were closing either.
We were in business for 2 years. I put a letter on the home page to our guests - past & prospective. I kept the website up for almost a year which cost me very little. We kept our phone number and referred people to other lodging options. It seemed like the logical thing to do. We got calls asking about the other place.
I'm still getting our name off of listing sites after being closed about a year...

We had a B&B here that had been in business for almost 15 years. They decided to close at the end of a certain month last year. The next day their website was gone & the phone was gone. I don't think they told their repeat guests that they were closing either.
We were in business for 2 years. I put a letter on the home page to our guests - past & prospective. I kept the website up for almost a year which cost me very little. We kept our phone number and referred people to other lodging options. It seemed like the logical thing to do. We got calls asking about the other place.
I'm still getting our name off of listing sites after being closed about a year...
I was doing an odd search yesterday and found 3 more sites with our listing...not from me though. and this after closed for 4 years:-(

I was doing an odd search yesterday and found 3 more sites with our listing...not from me though. and this after closed for 4 years:-(

catlady said:
Just got the new yellowpages dropped off last night, I went to B&B's to see if we are there and there are three that have not been OPEN as long as I have lived in this area.

catlady said:
Just got the new yellowpages dropped off last night, I went to B&B's to see if we are there and there are three that have not been OPEN as long as I have lived in this area.
Thankfully I missed the YP deadline our first year and then again the 2nd. Then I realized it didn't make any difference. Who is going to look me up in the yellow pages..certainly not many...so never did it. Glad now because I would probably have a heck of a time trying to get rid of it...at least in our location's case.

catlady said:
Thankfully I missed the YP deadline our first year and then again the 2nd. Then I realized it didn't make any difference. Who is going to look me up in the yellow pages..certainly not many...so never did it. Glad now because I would probably have a heck of a time trying to get rid of it...at least in our location's case.
I was just mentioning as they have the "online" YP and call every flippin' week from India. All I kno wis this info is out there and they never change it, so it just propogates.

catlady said:
I was just mentioning as they have the "online" YP and call every flippin' week from India. All I kno wis this info is out there and they never change it, so it just propogates.
Joey Bloggs said:
I'd hate to jinx myself but they've stopped calling. Interestingly, they could never pronounce the name of my inn.

catlady said:
I actually had a couple of prospective guests bitch me out because we were not listed in the Yellow Pages. Too much money, I thought.

catlady said:
I am not even listed in the WHITE PAGES. We are a residence and had a residential phone before opening the business and I saw no reason to change it - especially considering the costs with no difference in service. Locals look for us all the time under the business name (but forget the business name when it comes to business) and we tell them - look under OUR name and you will find it. Everyone else is looking on the Internet and they will find us there. We have gotten to the point of just saying, "Sorry, I am busy. Goodbye." click! when YP calls every other week. Now if I could just get rid of the "dead air" calls......

catlady said:
I actually had a couple of prospective guests bitch me out because we were not listed in the Yellow Pages. Too much money, I thought.
In my other life I worked PT at a store. I asked her how much her YP ad was and it was outrageous. $600/month or something like for a teeny ad. So, I decided, no YP for me. And yet, just the listing itself must be free because we're in there. And like JB said, closed places are still in there.

Back