Inn the news Jan 4, 2010

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Stay at an inn and help the environment[/h2]BnBfinder Blog
http://www.bnbfinder.com/blog/2011/01/stay-at-an-inn-and-help-the-environment/
JB - against the grain...here I go.
Nothing against the innkeepers who run these top inns, but how can you save the environment and be green by "[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]proactively takes steps to lessen its impact on the environment. The Virginia inn limits how often it changes linens, towels and robes, unless guests request otherwise."[/COLOR]
When meanwhile you go to the website and see jacuzzi tubs in the rooms....let's see a water, energy, and then many times guests who request said tubs use them repeatedly during their stay. Big fluffy robes near the filled jacuzzi tubs on the website. So "Stay at an inn and help the environment?" What a load of rubbish.
Perhaps they have the single ply TP to compensate. d'oh!

Being green does not mean you have to live like a hermit and not enjoy life's comforts .... every little bit helps and they are coming to an Inn for the comforts, otherwise they would stay outside in a tent. Come on people, stop being so critical

Jacuzzis, hot tubs etc.... and going green....just don't seem to go hand in hand. But I suppose anything one can do helps some.

Jacuzzis, hot tubs etc.... and going green....just don't seem to go hand in hand. But I suppose anything one can do helps some..
catlady said:
Jacuzzis, hot tubs etc.... and going green....just don't seem to go hand in hand. But I suppose anything one can do helps some.
We compensate by watering all our outdoor plants using the water that we collect from the air conditioning and heating system. Right now Chris has 10 giant barrels of water in the basement. We also purchase the tubs that use the least amount of water.
I don't agree that going "green" means we have to give up all our luxuries that we enjoy. I see plenty of waste every day here at UVA where I work. I don't intend to give up my whirlpool tubs. I am also going to fight with my county to allow me to use my grey water from the showers for outside. I'll bet I use a huge amount less of water with my tubs than many of the other inns that don't have tubs but are are fertilizing and watering huge lawns all summer long.
Riki

[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Historic Henderson Castle in Kalamazoo still open, but future remains uncertain[/FONT]
Los Angeles Times
Peter and Laura Livingstone-McNelis have been operating a bed and breakfast at the castle since 2005. They said last month it would close after Jan. ....
So, what is for rent and what is for sale? Is the business for sale, but the property is being rented? And if someone buys the business they have to honor the 25 year lease? This thing gets more and more confusing!

I have bought green shower gel and shampoo (as my bit to help) and it was 8 cents cheape than what i was using before so win all round really. I also got a concentrated multi surface cleaner which is environmentally sound and is saving me a fortune (one table spoon does 4 litres) it is all about balance. We are working through getting all the light bulbs energy saving as it will save us on electric bills (ie average room 6 bulbs) and we upgraded our diswasher to A rated (this a sceme in the UK that assesses all appliances ie A is most energy efficient) and we are having all our drafty single glazed windows replaced with A rated (same idea as the dishwasher) windows which will save a ton of heat & money. I think green can be coupled with money saving as I am a business woman first and foremost! Walmart here does its own range of green cleaning products and they are only pennies different than the standard ones. We have also put up signs for changing towels (ie put in shower to change on the rail to keep) and so far it has saved us $300 which isnt huge money but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

• Compost
  • Recycle
  • Buy locally when possible
  • Use environmentally friendly cleaning products with all natural ingredients
  • Use durable products instead of throw away
  • Use e-mail for most all business communications
  • All bubble baths & lotions are environmentally friendly...no chemicals, all natural products and not tested on animals
  • Purchase our lotions & bubble bath in bulk & provide each guest room with reusable glass containers instead of disposable travel bottles
  • When an appliance breaks, we've replaced it with an energy efficient appliance.
  • Purchased a TerraPass for each of our vehicles to eliminate it's carbon footprint
  • Replaced light bulbs whenever possible with florescent or CFL bulbs
  • Encourage our guests to reuse their towels if they feel comfortable doing so
  • Use reusable grocery bags when shopping
We are certified green and have those big whirlpool tubs. Just because we have the big tubs doesn't mean we make a bigger impact on the planet. We haven't had trash pick up for more than 7 years. We gravity feed our water from a spring, then all our water goes through a large sand filter and back in the ground. Nothing is wasted here. Being green doesn't mean you have to live off the grid or can't enjoy some luxury.

• Compost
  • Recycle
  • All bubble baths & lotions are environmentally friendly...no chemicals, all natural products and not tested on animals
  • Purchase our lotions & bubble bath in bulk & provide each guest room with reusable glass containers instead of disposable travel bottles
  • When an appliance breaks, we've replaced it with an energy efficient appliance.
  • Purchased a TerraPass for each of our vehicles to eliminate it's carbon footprint
We are certified green and have those big whirlpool tubs. Just because we have the big tubs doesn't mean we make a bigger impact on the planet. We haven't had trash pick up for more than 7 years. We gravity feed our water from a spring, then all our water goes through a large sand filter and back in the ground. Nothing is wasted here. Being green doesn't mean you have to live off the grid or can't enjoy some luxury..
exactly! I aint wearing sack cloth and ashes for anyone and I doubt my guests would be keen either. My breakfast room has very weird bulbs (which cost $14 each) have just replaced with last one yesterday (19 bulbs) as I couldn't justify spending that money before the old style ones blew so waited and replaced them gradually as they went to spread the cost. (total cost $266) but it will hopefully save us at least the same amount in electricity this year. I am also shopping around for a new gas and electricity supplier so we can save some money as well.

• Compost
  • Recycle
We are certified green and have those big whirlpool tubs. Just because we have the big tubs doesn't mean we make a bigger impact on the planet. We haven't had trash pick up for more than 7 years. We gravity feed our water from a spring, then all our water goes through a large sand filter and back in the ground. Nothing is wasted here. Being green doesn't mean you have to live off the grid or can't enjoy some luxury..
exactly! I aint wearing sack cloth and ashes for anyone and I doubt my guests would be keen either. My breakfast room has very weird bulbs (which cost $14 each) have just replaced with last one yesterday (19 bulbs) as I couldn't justify spending that money before the old style ones blew so waited and replaced them gradually as they went to spread the cost. (total cost $266) but it will hopefully save us at least the same amount in electricity this year. I am also shopping around for a new gas and electricity supplier so we can save some money as well.
Good for you camberly! The small things add up over time, especially when more and more of us do it. Besides, it's really cost effective and good for the bottom line. It's cheaper to buy in bulk and use the concentrated cleaning products, etc. Heck, what's not to like about saving money?

• Compost
  • Recycle
Good for you camberly! The small things add up over time, especially when more and more of us do it. Besides, it's really cost effective and good for the bottom line. It's cheaper to buy in bulk and use the concentrated cleaning products, etc. Heck, what's not to like about saving money?
true I was at this meeting for accommodation providers in Yorkshire and there was one of the speakers all global warming etc and i am not saying i don't care about these things but if you are trying to make a sell to business people you have to sell them the bottom line ie do this save the environement, add to your marketing ideas/catch and save money (not necessarily in that order). when I pointed this out they looked at me like I was bonkers (we were the rebel table) as I also pointed out paying to be rated was old hat what with the internet and all (they were doing a talk on convincing people to go rated) My point was people don't understand what it means anyway and will look on trip adviser or other review sights rather than that. So if you want people to go rated you have to prove to them they will make money from it or at the very least cover costs. The fact that I kept pointing out the bottom line seemed to confuse them. I think they thought people didn't get rated because they wern't good enough and I pointed out it was because they don't give a toss.

• Compost
  • Recycle
What about the vehicle(s) that you drive?

Back