Inn the news July 29, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kind of scared me at first, but it is a good write up, about an Inn near Abingdon VA
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Bed Check: This southwest Virginia B&B is all talk[/FONT]
Washington Post.
Yeah it was written sort of "tongue in cheek" and could be interpreted very differently. I know these folks. That is all I will say
embaressed_smile.gif

Nine Tricks to Save Money on Your Next Hotel Stay
Fox Business
The cost of staying at a bed and breakfast means the price of breakfast is included, not to mention that 91% of inns and B&B have free wifi, says Marti Mayne of the B&B industry's Better Way to Stay campaign. Many also offer meal and activity packages, ...

This kind of scared me at first, but it is a good write up, about an Inn near Abingdon VA
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Bed Check: This southwest Virginia B&B is all talk[/FONT]
Washington Post.
Yeah it was written sort of "tongue in cheek" and could be interpreted very differently. I know these folks. That is all I will say
embaressed_smile.gif

catlady said:
Yeah it was written sort of "tongue in cheek" and could be interpreted very differently.
That was clear from the moment I arrived late one night after a long drive. The Wartellas were waiting to show me around the house and to offer tips on what to explore in the area. Hospitable hosts that they are, they also told me to help myself to a glass of red or white wine, to be sipped from a crystal goblet, of course. “The glasses are large, so pour as much as you want,” Paulette said
As I headed out for dinner at a nearby restaurant that Paulette had recommended, I asked her for the key to my room so that I could lock up. “Oh you don’t need one,” she replied.

Washington Post.
That would scare me off. I do not want to spend an hour stuck in my chair while the innkeepers 'moderate' the conversation. Which is why I leave the guests alone during breakfast unless they ask a question. If they're talking I'll join in, but I don't 'moderate'.
Not to say we have not had guests still sitting in the dining room chatting at 11, but we're not holding them there.

Washington Post.
embaressed_smile.gif

catlady said:
Yeah it was written sort of "tongue in cheek" and could be interpreted very differently.
That was clear from the moment I arrived late one night after a long drive. The Wartellas were waiting to show me around the house and to offer tips on what to explore in the area. Hospitable hosts that they are, they also told me to help myself to a glass of red or white wine, to be sipped from a crystal goblet, of course. “The glasses are large, so pour as much as you want,” Paulette said
As I headed out for dinner at a nearby restaurant that Paulette had recommended, I asked her for the key to my room so that I could lock up. “Oh you don’t need one,” she replied.
unless they only have one room? sorry maybe its a uk thing but I want a key.

Washington Post.
Had guests upon check out thank us for not being intrusive. They said they stayed at an Inn in Abingdon where the innkeepers sit down at the end of the table, they grab a chair and pull it up the table and take over the conversation. They were put off by this.
I told them "You had 11 other guests here to chat with! I don't need to be in the dining room leading the conversation with a full house! I do go in and chat with one or two couples, as needed to answer questions..."
(And besides work must be done, the dishes dont clean themselves!)
tounge_smile.gif

PS the moral of the story is: Get into WA Post or NY TIMES and get the guests. Even if they didn't like the inn that much, it still brought them there!

PS the moral of the story is: Get into WA Post or NY TIMES and get the guests. Even if they didn't like the inn that much, it still brought them there!.
Definitely! Getting the 'seal of approval' from a big name travel writer can make a huge difference.

PS the moral of the story is: Get into WA Post or NY TIMES and get the guests. Even if they didn't like the inn that much, it still brought them there!.
Definitely! Getting the 'seal of approval' from a big name travel writer can make a huge difference.
and we were told the breakfasts were lousy there, not enough to eat and poorly presented. I just looked at the reviews and 95% are glowing, 5% are not.
I am glad we were able to sweeten their B&B image after staying with us, I get upset when guests tell me bad stories of other inns, AND, BY THE WAY, THEY DO.

Washington Post.
Had guests upon check out thank us for not being intrusive. They said they stayed at an Inn in Abingdon where the innkeepers sit down at the end of the table, they grab a chair and pull it up the table and take over the conversation. They were put off by this.
I told them "You had 11 other guests here to chat with! I don't need to be in the dining room leading the conversation with a full house! I do go in and chat with one or two couples, as needed to answer questions..."
tounge_smile.gif

I have started a new approach (for me) if it is one couple as two or more have always taken the ball and run with it. I tell them what everything is, get an idea of what they want to do (in case it invo9lves me doing a routing), then give the lady a bell to ring if they need anything telling them I do not need to be intruding on THEIR time together and then go into my Library. I can hear if they need anything but am out of the way. I chat IF they have questions or start the conversation. Today I almost got my Minutes transcribed from the last Council meeting!! Woohoo!

Washington Post.
tounge_smile.gif

Good job, JB!! I'm not surprised that they loved it there!
cheers.gif

Back