Inn the news June 20, 2011 - Lightning sparks blaze at Raleigh bed and breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, everyone is told how to get OUT. Fire Dept has location of our room if needed to get DH out. VFD is across the street. All rooms have smoke alarms with lights. Plug-in lights are at each escape window- IF the guests have not turned them off or removed them which happens too often! Other than that, there is nothing I can do except pray it never happens.

we are lucky cos we are made of stone and slate, we have a fire escape from the top floor, escape signs (ie pointing which way to go) and a sign on the back of every door saying what to do. we are non smoking and non flame and no open fires in guest rooms so I try and take every precaution. We have flame resistant mattresses and soft furnishings.

Well doesn't that hit close to home (all pun intended). I know we were lucky, very lucky. Definitely learnt a lesson as far as the phone line goes. You can put in the very best surge protectors (and we now know they really work) but I didn't even think about protecting phone lines .... and that's what caused all the problems.

Well doesn't that hit close to home (all pun intended). I know we were lucky, very lucky. Definitely learnt a lesson as far as the phone line goes. You can put in the very best surge protectors (and we now know they really work) but I didn't even think about protecting phone lines .... and that's what caused all the problems..
I put a surge protector for the phone line at the entry point and the computer stuff at the phone line is in that surge protector - what isn't plugged into a special receptacle my electrician installed long ago anyway. I also have a UPS for the CPU. It was not expensive - $40 or $50 - but has saved me from losing data during power blips and gives me time to shut down gracefully if it is more than a blip.

We had weird power blips all day yesterday all my neighbour B&B's were ringing me ie "is your power out to?" kind of conversations. Its comforting to know we are all experiencing it together rather than being just your property. Seems to be back to normal today mind.

We had weird power blips all day yesterday all my neighbour B&B's were ringing me ie "is your power out to?" kind of conversations. Its comforting to know we are all experiencing it together rather than being just your property. Seems to be back to normal today mind..
We had a cartoon strip in the US called L'il Abner and one character in that strip had a black cloud with a lightning bolt coming from it hanging over him wherever he went. I feel like that character - that rain cloud follozed me from Germany to LONDON (rain 4 of the 7 days) and although it has not let loose, has been following me in Paris!

Back