Inn the news March 4, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Inn operators hope to turn farm into agritourism hub[/FONT]
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
They plan to live on the property, farm the land and convert half of the farmhouse into a bed and breakfast to show off Foxley Farm to visitors. The proposed sale of the property from sisters Frances Steward and Lauri Whiding depends upon township ...

It does make it sound very elite, doesn't it? One of my dh's favorite sayings, "Statistics lie and liars use statistics". He deals with statistics and numbers every day in his job. lol! He is a member of the Curmudgeon Club for sure.....

It does make it sound very elite, doesn't it? One of my dh's favorite sayings, "Statistics lie and liars use statistics". He deals with statistics and numbers every day in his job. lol! He is a member of the Curmudgeon Club for sure......
Samster said:
It does make it sound very elite, doesn't it? One of my dh's favorite sayings, "Statistics lie and liars use statistics". He deals with statistics and numbers every day in his job. lol! He is a member of the Curmudgeon Club for sure.....
I am offended that they make it sound like out of 20,000 inns only 400 passed their critical inspection process. This is not the case AT ALL, more inns WOULD APPLY if the membership fee was not astronomical. AND THAT'S THE DARN TRUTH! Being elite means paying the fee. The secret inspection IS something to be proud of, but they can't act like the rest of the inns all failed...

Then again, elite doesn't always sell. There are a fair number of guests who think 'elite' means snobbish and uncomfortable, stuffy and unwelcoming.

It does make it sound very elite, doesn't it? One of my dh's favorite sayings, "Statistics lie and liars use statistics". He deals with statistics and numbers every day in his job. lol! He is a member of the Curmudgeon Club for sure......
Samster said:
I am offended that they make it sound like out of 20,000 inns only 400 passed their critical inspection process. This is not the case AT ALL, more inns WOULD APPLY if the membership fee was not astronomical. AND THAT'S THE DARN TRUTH! Being elite means paying the fee. The secret inspection IS something to be proud of, but they can't act like the rest of the inns all failed...
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
Unfortunately, it's their personal blog so comments probably won't be accepted that state anything like 'the other 19,600 inns never applied for membership'.

Samster said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
Unfortunately, it's their personal blog so comments probably won't be accepted that state anything like 'the other 19,600 inns never applied for membership'.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
The link I posted is roanoketimes travel blog, not the select registry, so comments are accepted there! :) The y will show shortly too if you post one. Yeah maybe this hits home more for me since that is our city paper and they are acting like the rest of us are duds.

Samster said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
The link I posted is roanoketimes travel blog, not the select registry, so comments are accepted there! :) The y will show shortly too if you post one. Yeah maybe this hits home more for me since that is our city paper and they are acting like the rest of us are duds.
Sorry, didn't notice that...

The Oaks Victorian Inn earns recertification by Select Registry[/h3]Excerpt:
This elite network of celebrated inns and B&Bs across North America has a 40-year history of outstanding quality assurance with the longest, continuously running inspection program in the industry. Of the more than 20,000 bed and breakfasts in North America, only about 400 have qualified for membership in Select Registry.
http://blogs.roanoke.com/ticker/2011/03/04/the-oaks-victorian-inn-earns-recertification-by-select-registry/
Comment from JB- of more than 20,000 how many have attempted to BE Select Registry? I know I haven't as I won't pay the H U G E annual fee to be a member. Nice to make it sound like the rest of us are chumps though.

Samster said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
I tried writing a reply but no matter what I said it sounded like sour grapes. 'Oh there's one of the ones that DIDN't get picked.'

gillumhouse said:
First there is the fee, then there is the requirements. We have some Select Registry here so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong - don't you have to have a minimum number of rooms to qualify? I know the private baths is a require (even if it is detached). I would NEVER break even much less make a profit here after paying the membership fee.
I am not discounting any of the requirements, I think they are what make them distringuished inns! I believe all the inns are distiguished and fine inns, there is no doubt about it. I am just saying that they can't say 20,000 didn't qualify.

Samster said:
First there is the fee, then there is the requirements. We have some Select Registry here so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong - don't you have to have a minimum number of rooms to qualify? I know the private baths is a require (even if it is detached). I would NEVER break even much less make a profit here after paying the membership fee.
Edited to add: I posted a comment. Will check to see if it ever gets posted.

gillumhouse said:
I am not discounting any of the requirements, I think they are what make them distringuished inns! I believe all the inns are distiguished and fine inns, there is no doubt about it. I am just saying that they can't say 20,000 didn't qualify..
I am not putting down the requirements - and in my comment I referred to the dues as the main reason many do not even apply. I would never make it no matter what (even if I HAD the money for their dues) - and I do not mean because I do not have enough rooms. I am not a Select anything candidate and take no offense because it is a fact. YOU have seen my Library - even after several concentrated efforts to decrapify (THAT is a word I learned here!) that room, it is still never going to cut it.
Select Registry is a niche and it is a good one. Hotels have their levels - Hilton, Ritz, Waldorf, Greenbrier - then there are the Marriotts and Sheratons - then the others...

Samster said:
I agree...it would be more truthful if they stated the number that passed the rigorous inspection out of those that applied, but that's not what they're shooting for.

Samster said:
I agree...it would be more truthful if they stated the number that passed the rigorous inspection out of those that applied, but that's not what they're shooting for.
Samster said:
Like the gecko says, 'Exclusivity, mate!'

It is one of my biggest arguments against Visit England and AA inspections more and more people arn't bothering and I have to pay £600 a year for the privalidge which gets me little in return people don't realise we have to pay for it. The gov was pushing everyone to be rated and couldn't understand why people wern't bothering I stated plainly to their rep cos we get no benefit for a honking chunck of change, show me how it is going to make me money and I'll happily pay. If it is between me at 4 star and another at 3 I can see the customer choosing us but if the other has no stars cos they choose not to be inspected and i have 1 (for example) they will probably choose the unrated one as it is likely to be better. (ie good enough to do without) Frankly round here there is only one place that was two star everyone else is 4 or 5 so if you were going to get less than 4 I wouldn't bother.
So in relevance to the point above if you choose not to be in the scheme it cannot be said you have failed it.
The VB people just couldn't get their heads round the concept that people arn't rated not cos they arn't good enough it is because they don't care!

Back