Inn the news May 11, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the uk gove is going after them for price fixing and unfair trade practices.

AH! This can go toward the other thread about keeping the door closed. A door that is continually locked and guests prop open etc!
Oak Park B&B Sued for Negligence
NBC Chicago
The suit claims the couple stayed at the bed and breakfast on June 29, 2005, when innkeeper Beth Harvey failed to close a security door while tending to yard work. The suit claims a person used the open door, entered the couple's room and sexually assaulted Linda.
The couple is suing because they say Harvey House failed to provide self-locking devices, dead bolts, chain locks or peep holes on the guest room doors.
And another article on same topic here: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/suit-woman-sexually-assaulted-at-oak-park-bed-and-breakfast/

AH! This can go toward the other thread about keeping the door closed. A door that is continually locked and guests prop open etc!
NBC Chicago
The suit claims the couple stayed at the bed and breakfast on June 29, 2005, when innkeeper Beth Harvey failed to close a security door while tending to yard work. The suit claims a person used the open door, entered the couple's room and sexually assaulted Linda.
The couple is suing because they say Harvey House failed to provide self-locking devices, dead bolts, chain locks or peep holes on the guest room doors.
And another article on same topic here: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/suit-woman-sexually-assaulted-at-oak-park-bed-and-breakfast/.
There is no law about keeping a front door locked. But there were no room locks? Many guests don't lock their rooms when in them. This is very strange and unfortunate.

NBC Chicago
And another article on same topic here: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/05/10/suit-woman-sexually-assaulted-at-oak-park-bed-and-breakfast/.
Surveillance cameras? (Altho that other B&B had a camera, didn't it?)
I can see the door locks. Every guest room should have door locks. I guess we need to install self-closers on the exterior doors to be sure they are always closed and not left open by the guests. Who I have seen stick chairs, umbrellas, shoes, purses and more into to keep them open while they go to the car. You just can't defeat a wily guest intent on not following directions. I won't even say 'rules' just directions.
We do all this stuff to keep them safe...lighting on all night, doors with locks, being on premises all the time...but we can't keep them safe from themselves. (Not talking about the guest in this story. This one sounds like they either didn't lock their door or opened it to a stranger.)

NBC Chicago
There is no law about keeping a front door locked. But there were no room locks? Many guests don't lock their rooms when in them. This is very strange and unfortunate.
This is disgusting. I'm sorry this happened to you but prosecute the criminal, not the innkeeper. They were aware of the "safety" situation when they checked in, if they were uncomfortable with it they could have left. I believe there is ZERO negligence on the part of the innkeeper here.

Back