Inn the news May 2, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw on FB that the BNB's for vets page is asking about what special amenities are provided for families. Please don't do this. Last year was hard enough to manage without now encouraging the vets to bring their whole family for a free night. We CANNOT accommodate whole families with children.

Just saw on FB that the BNB's for vets page is asking about what special amenities are provided for families. Please don't do this. Last year was hard enough to manage without now encouraging the vets to bring their whole family for a free night. We CANNOT accommodate whole families with children..
That post is from the BWTS campaign, not from Vets.
Let's take a deep breath and get the whole story before we bring a shit storm down on Vets.

Just saw on FB that the BNB's for vets page is asking about what special amenities are provided for families. Please don't do this. Last year was hard enough to manage without now encouraging the vets to bring their whole family for a free night. We CANNOT accommodate whole families with children..
Let's take a deep breath and get the whole story before we bring a shit storm down on Vets.
My assumption was that it WAS BWTS who was asking the question. And I am hoping that their intent is NOT to have tons of children included in this year's event. By asking the question on the vets FB page the clear intent is exactly that.
If BWTS wants to launch a family-friendly campaign, let them, but not on the back of the vets program.
OK, apparently I'm clueless about how FB works...BWTS asked the question and the question showed up on the Vets page because the Vets page 'likes' BWTS. I'll stand by my comment that it LOOKS like the vets page is asking your opinion on how families are treated at your B&B. Which confuses the issue. For me anyway.

Thank you for posting that. I immediately sent an e-mail to Jay & Marti nixing the family. Had an e-mail almost immediately from Marti - she posted it there looking for innkeeper feedback and when I said we were AGIN IT - she deleted the post acknowledging that prob was not the venue for the question. She also thanked us for the quick response to the post. Thanks again, Ike. I would not have seen it. I do not go on FB often enough.

Thank you for posting that. I immediately sent an e-mail to Jay & Marti nixing the family. Had an e-mail almost immediately from Marti - she posted it there looking for innkeeper feedback and when I said we were AGIN IT - she deleted the post acknowledging that prob was not the venue for the question. She also thanked us for the quick response to the post. Thanks again, Ike. I would not have seen it. I do not go on FB often enough.
I guess this is a snarky question, but does anybody else think that BWTS may have the wrong PR person?

I guess this is a snarky question, but does anybody else think that BWTS may have the wrong PR person?
Love your photo, Your Majesty. Your best so far! (Just mnvho)

My assumption was that it WAS BWTS who was asking the question. And I am hoping that their intent is NOT to have tons of children included in this year's event. By asking the question on the vets FB page the clear intent is exactly that.
If BWTS wants to launch a family-friendly campaign, let them, but not on the back of the vets program.
OK, apparently I'm clueless about how FB works...BWTS asked the question and the question showed up on the Vets page because the Vets page 'likes' BWTS. I'll stand by my comment that it LOOKS like the vets page is asking your opinion on how families are treated at your B&B. Which confuses the issue. For me anyway.
Alibi Ike said:
To clarify, the post by BWTS and PAII will show up on everyone's wall who 'likes' either one or both of those FB pages. It was never posted as a post from the Vets page at all; Marti deleted it as showing up on that page, which anyone can do as the administrator to any post that shows up on their fb page. We have done several times already to the Vets page to get rid of spam and other inappropriate posts, which can be made by anyone who 'likes' the page.
I read the post right after Ike posted this, and it seems clear to me that it's a media request for feedback on your accommodations for families, and for families to say what they are looking for. Not an opinion poll or a request for anyone to add amenities. So, at the risk of being unpopular for taking Marti/PAII's side on this, I don't really see what the big deal is. They, along with bnbfinder and iloveinns, field media requests to us all the time.

Alibi Ike said:
To clarify, the post by BWTS and PAII will show up on everyone's wall who 'likes' either one or both of those FB pages. It was never posted as a post from the Vets page at all; Marti deleted it as showing up on that page, which anyone can do as the administrator to any post that shows up on their fb page. We have done several times already to the Vets page to get rid of spam and other inappropriate posts, which can be made by anyone who 'likes' the page.
I read the post right after Ike posted this, and it seems clear to me that it's a media request for feedback on your accommodations for families, and for families to say what they are looking for. Not an opinion poll or a request for anyone to add amenities. So, at the risk of being unpopular for taking Marti/PAII's side on this, I don't really see what the big deal is. They, along with bnbfinder and iloveinns, field media requests to us all the time.
It is gone now, but it was not a media request per se. Not like the one that PAII, et al have posted right now about a reporter looking for info for and from families. This was a poll. Check a box. What do you provide for families?
I get now that it wasn't posted by the vets page, but appeared on the vets page.
Sorry for getting everyone wound up because I didn't understand what I was seeing.

Interestingly enough, I hadn't bothered to give BWTS a minutes thought (as I have mentioned elsewhere, there is no gilding a lily... I have high occupancy in the summer.) But I wanted to see if anyone in my province had signed up... yes, one! $40 in gas money for a 4 day stay in the countryside. In the next province over (the biggest province) there are 2, one that's offering 10% off a two day minimum and another offering to pick you up/return at the train/bus station.

Alibi Ike said:
It is gone now, but it was not a media request per se. Not like the one that PAII, et al have posted right now about a reporter looking for info for and from families. This was a poll. Check a box. What do you provide for families?
I get now that it wasn't posted by the vets page, but appeared on the vets page.
Sorry for getting everyone wound up because I didn't understand what I was seeing.
I am not sorry you questioned it. If YOU saw it and took it for what you did, how many of the John Q Public would have seen it the same way.
After the calls I had last Fall from people we were trying to do a "nice" for, trust me, you did a service to get it taken off/changed - whatever.
Example - my husband is deployed, can me and my daughter use it? / My husband was a vet and he died. Can I use it? / I want a room in San Antonio. / I would like to reserve a room with you. (me) Where are you located? In California. (me) I am in West Virginia. Oh, what do you have in California? And then there was the vet who threated to sue an innkeeper because she told him she did not have any more rooms - and sicced his VA organization on us - the woman who called gave DH a hard time because there was not a room for that man and still did not get it after being told 3 times that there are are a limited number of rooms.

Alibi Ike said:
I am not sorry you questioned it. If YOU saw it and took it for what you did, how many of the John Q Public would have seen it the same way.
After the calls I had last Fall from people we were trying to do a "nice" for, trust me, you did a service to get it taken off/changed - whatever.
Example - my husband is deployed, can me and my daughter use it? / My husband was a vet and he died. Can I use it? / I want a room in San Antonio. / I would like to reserve a room with you. (me) Where are you located? In California. (me) I am in West Virginia. Oh, what do you have in California? And then there was the vet who threated to sue an innkeeper because she told him she did not have any more rooms - and sicced his VA organization on us - the woman who called gave DH a hard time because there was not a room for that man and still did not get it after being told 3 times that there are are a limited number of rooms.
gillumhouse said:
Questioning the poll is not a problem. It was gone within 15 minutes. I doubt many of John Q Public saw it - mostly it was other innkeepers. I never saw it, and I'm on FB a lot.
Questioning the competence of the PR person IS inappropriate (and snarky, as suggested). I have always found Marti to be quite open to direct constructive criticism and feedback, and she represents B&Bs well to the traveling public. Sorry, Innkeep, but I think you went too far.
Why would Marti want to come here for feedback if that is the commentary she gets?
From my experience working on the Vets project, it is extremely difficult to find something which works well for all innkeepers. Once you think you've got it, there's an innkeeper waiting in the wings to tell you loudly and in detail how you've screwed it all up. Pleasing this small group of innkeepers is tough; multiply that by hundreds and you'll get an idea of how many PAII and Marti hear from.

Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
Questioning the poll is not a problem. It was gone within 15 minutes. I doubt many of John Q Public saw it - mostly it was other innkeepers. I never saw it, and I'm on FB a lot.
Questioning the competence of the PR person IS inappropriate (and snarky, as suggested). I have always found Marti to be quite open to direct constructive criticism and feedback, and she represents B&Bs well to the traveling public. Sorry, Innkeep, but I think you went too far.
Why would Marti want to come here for feedback if that is the commentary she gets?
From my experience working on the Vets project, it is extremely difficult to find something which works well for all innkeepers. Once you think you've got it, there's an innkeeper waiting in the wings to tell you loudly and in detail how you've screwed it all up. Pleasing this small group of innkeepers is tough; multiply that by hundreds and you'll get an idea of how many PAII and Marti hear from.
I was not questioning Marti nor her competance. It was gone so quickly because Ike posted, I saw Ike's post, and then e-mailed Marti asking about the "family amenity" question stating it was really meant for couples. I was stunned with the speed she took care of it - and pleased as it eliminated confusion of the issue since I had so many inquiries last year about familes.
I am already getting inquiries from Vets about the program for this year. Innkeepers also. I am referring everyone to PAII. I gave up my "baby" to them.

Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
I was not questioning Marti nor her competance. It was gone so quickly because Ike posted, I saw Ike's post, and then e-mailed Marti asking about the "family amenity" question stating it was really meant for couples. I was stunned with the speed she took care of it - and pleased as it eliminated confusion of the issue since I had so many inquiries last year about familes.
I am already getting inquiries from Vets about the program for this year. Innkeepers also. I am referring everyone to PAII. I gave up my "baby" to them.
gillumhouse said:
I was not questioning Marti nor her competance.
No, it was Innkeep's post I specifically referenced in that capacity.
gillumhouse said:
Those of us involved in the beginning of it all have strong feelings about it. But it will be up to PAII what they do with it, and we will have to let go. We should remember that there may be inns or B&Bs who would welcome families, and leave it up to them to do so if they want to. Maybe PAII will categorize inns by offerings, or do something to make that information available to vets. No matter what, we know there will be some bad actor vets who ask for more or innkeepers who are not honest about their offerings, just like last year. They are the same people who try to get around your cancellation policy or who drop bandb.com gift cards on you without telling you.

Back