Inn the news May 23, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the DSK incident might be a good thing for housekeepers now:http://bit.ly/krODEN
JB - - We have discussed this, do not freshen rooms with guests in them, why take the extra risk. You do not know if your guest is a perv, better safe than sorry! And as annoying and inconvenient as it is, lock the door (bolt) while you are inside working.

[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]For National Vegetarian Week, 10 ideas for meatless grilling like open-face grilled eggplant sandwiches w/ mozzarella: http://bit.ly/li4f3D[/COLOR]

Why the DSK incident might be a good thing for housekeepers now:http://bit.ly/krODEN
JB - - We have discussed this, do not freshen rooms with guests in them, why take the extra risk. You do not know if your guest is a perv, better safe than sorry! And as annoying and inconvenient as it is, lock the door (bolt) while you are inside working..
Joey Bloggs said:
JB - - We have discussed this, do not freshen rooms with guests in them, why take the extra risk. You do not know if your guest is a perv, better safe than sorry! And as annoying and inconvenient as it is, lock the door (bolt) while you are inside working.
I hadn't heard the details about this. We don't clean the rooms while guests are in them. But, I do require the door remains open while the housekeeper is in the room. That way, I know where she is, I can see her and if a guest returns sooner than expected she's not in their room with the door deadbolted.

JB - - We have discussed this, do not freshen rooms with guests in them, why take the extra risk. You do not know if your guest is a perv, better safe than sorry! And as annoying and inconvenient as it is, lock the door (bolt) while you are inside working..
Joey Bloggs said:
I hadn't heard the details about this. We don't clean the rooms while guests are in them. But, I do require the door remains open while the housekeeper is in the room. That way, I know where she is, I can see her and if a guest returns sooner than expected she's not in their room with the door deadbolted.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Hm that is a good point. For the housekeeper.
For me, I bolt the door. Remember one reason I got this keypad? I was in cleaning a bathroom and felt someone was in the room, and turned and it was some stupid salesman standing there over me (I was cleaning the bog with gloves on and bent down scrubbing!) I ordered him OUT NOW! I was so frazzled. It was either keypad the door or "carry" ha ha.
So for the housekeeper, what if she is in the bathroom and the person comes in and closes the door, how will you know? I mean she prob doesn't have a cleaning cart like hotels do parked out front or propping the door open, many work in teams in hotels.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
For me, I bolt the door. Remember one reason I got this keypad? I was in cleaning a bathroom and felt someone was in the room, and turned and it was some stupid salesman standing there over me (I was cleaning the bog with gloves on and bent down scrubbing!) I ordered him OUT NOW! I was so frazzled. It was either keypad the door or "carry" ha ha.
So for the housekeeper, what if she is in the bathroom and the person comes in and closes the door, how will you know? I mean she prob doesn't have a cleaning cart like hotels do parked out front or propping the door open, many work in teams in hotels.
It's a good point. Generally we can hear the outside door opening and closing. I'm just not sure. I guess I like the suggestion of one housekeeper who says to jam the cart in the doorway so no one can get in. Doesn't help if someone is already in the room! And some of these rooms are suites, so huge. And we don't have carts.
One of the first things we tell the housekeepers is that if anyone bothers them they are to come and get us immediately. I tell them they don't have to put up with crap from anyone.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
It's a good point. Generally we can hear the outside door opening and closing. I'm just not sure. I guess I like the suggestion of one housekeeper who says to jam the cart in the doorway so no one can get in. Doesn't help if someone is already in the room! And some of these rooms are suites, so huge. And we don't have carts.
One of the first things we tell the housekeepers is that if anyone bothers them they are to come and get us immediately. I tell them they don't have to put up with crap from anyone.
We wedge the doors open while working and the outside doors are locked all the time with guests having their own key. I am lucky that my chamber maid is larger both in height and proprotions than most men and can lift a bed with one hand to vac under it and is more than capable of looking after herself. But she knows DH and I would back her up against anything (ie acusations of funny business or theft). One time we had a lady had lost her bag with everything in it but she admitted herself it could have been anywhere. Made sure myself and laima were with them when they rang the phone. Someone answered it and then hung up so they knew for definate it wasn't us cos we were there. Trouble was it had the GPS in it as well. They weren't accusing us of taking it but it was nice to be proved innocent straight away as I don't like nasty suspicions. There was a case recently in a big hotel the woman (mind you she must have been daft) had taken £300 cash with here on holiday and put it under the mattress while she was out (or did she?) came back it was gone. had to have been staff as they got in with a key. Hotel got out of it saying we say if you have anything valuable put it in the safe so it is not our responsibility. was all over trip adviser mind.

Back