Inn the news Nov 18, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[tr]

Lanier Publishing Launches a New Best Of Inns and Bed and Breakfast Blog Series
MarketWatch (press release)
The Best of Inns and Bed and Breakfast blog series includes six blog categories, including Innkeepers Guide to the Galaxy, Best of the Best, Best of California, Best of New York, Best of New England, and Inn-Famous Recipes. ...
See all stories on this topic »
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Bed Check: Gideon Ridge Inn in Blowing Rock, NC, has nary a bad view
Washington Post
Set way back from and above the main thoroughfare that runs through the low-key town of Blowing Rock, NC, the bed and breakfast looked even more inviting than the scenes on its Web site. As solidly set into the ground as the house was in front, ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

Grand Rapids bed and breakfast denied request for frequent outdoor gatherings ...
The Grand Rapids Press - MLive.com
By Erin Albanese | The Grand Rapids Press Cory Morse | The Grand Rapids PressAnn Finkler and Mark Zimmer are pictured outside The Leonard at Logan House Bed and Breakfast, 440 Logan SE, Tuesday, November 15, 2011. The two are part owners of the bed and ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

Travel and hospitality in brief
Westfair Online
“We also have vacation rentals and bed-and-breakfast and other types of accommodations, which really opens up development to a much larger number of properties.” The Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development has scheduled information ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

New Jail To Have Guests Tonight
Bartlesville Radio
These guests not only volunteered but have paid for the privilege of staying at what could be called an unusual bed and breakfast. Sheriff Rick Silver says tonight's event at the new jail is a fund-raiser for Mary Martha Outreach. The bed and breakfast ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

'Get Carter,' 'MST3K,' 'Grandview, USA' DVD reviews
The Star-Ledger - NJ.com
In the short time he spends in Newcastle, he beds the proprietor (Rosemarie Dunham) of a bed and breakfast — she's no spring chicken, but looks good walking up the stairs — and a local thug's convertible-driving mistress (Geraldine Moffat). ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Holiday Cookie Tour of Inns
Fernandina Beach News-Leader
Cookies, Christmas and compassion are the operative words for the 2011 Holiday Cookie Tour of Inns hosted by the Amelia Island Bed and Breakfast Association on Saturday, Nov. 19 from noon to 5 pm The public is invited to catch the holiday spirit by ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

Matt's the one as town hits TV screens
Hawick Today
That was after getting a good night's sleep at the Lux Bed and Breakfast in Teviotside Terrace, where proprietor Alan King welcomed Matt and four others, including the cameraman and his personal assistant. “They were all really nice people and I was ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Vayama Announces "The Ultimate Foodie Getaway Sweepstakes"
MarketWatch (press release)
The trip includes two round-trip tickets to Rome, accommodations at Le Suite di Via Ottaviano Bed and Breakfast in Rome, seven-day car rental and one cooking tour in Florence. The Grand Prize winner will also receive a 17" Dell laptop. ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Lugo Rock in Falmouth Cornwall receives CHEFS award
SourceWire (press release)
The Lugo Rock bed and breakfast Falmouth has recently been awarded the CHEFS (Cornwall Healthier Eating & Food Safety) Award which requires businesses to demonstrate the highest possible standards of good hygiene, to offer healthier options to their ...
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

I wish we had enough B & Bs locally to HAVE a cookie tour!.
gillumhouse said:
I wish we had enough B & Bs locally to HAVE a cookie tour!
People here look at me like I'm crazy when I mention a few old houses in town that could make great B&Bs. Folks don't see why I'd plant the seeds of my competition like that. But I firmly believe that, within reason of course, the more the merrier. More folks investing more money means more heads thinking of ways to bring more people to town. More people coming means money to support more shops and galleries, and that adds more overall appeal toward attracting even more visitors. More, more, more. It can grow on itself in a "rising tide lifts all boats" sort of way...I hope.

I wish we had enough B & Bs locally to HAVE a cookie tour!.
gillumhouse said:
I wish we had enough B & Bs locally to HAVE a cookie tour!
People here look at me like I'm crazy when I mention a few old houses in town that could make great B&Bs. Folks don't see why I'd plant the seeds of my competition like that. But I firmly believe that, within reason of course, the more the merrier. More folks investing more money means more heads thinking of ways to bring more people to town. More people coming means money to support more shops and galleries, and that adds more overall appeal toward attracting even more visitors. More, more, more. It can grow on itself in a "rising tide lifts all boats" sort of way...I hope.
Exactly - it is this: there can be one B & B anywhere but 2 or more means there must be something there to support them. I have been trying for at least 13 years to get another in town. We have some great houses..... And this is a city that now recognizes the economics of having a B &B in town.

Well, have to disagree here. Agree and disagree. If we were busier then I would say yes we could support another B&B here. But we ain't. In fact B&B's crop up all the time and many close down within 2 years. I am sure there are many variables as to why they close their doors, but the old addage "If you build it they will come" does not ring true unless you are location location location.
On the other hand, once that motion is started and more and more businesses come rolling into town, perhaps an arts district, some better restaurants etc, then it can happen. But it is the chook and egg scenario.
As great as I think I am (I know shut up), people are not coming to visit ME in this town, they get total hospitality once here, but that is certainly not the draw. Lord I hope not!
Asking another Inn to open in this town is certain death. You all know me, you know how I put 110% into marketing, majority of our guests would not be here without it, they don't say "Hey let's go to timbuk2 for the weekend."
shades_smile.gif

DH and I have just joined the committee for this - http://www.harrogatefoodanddrink.com/ its about making where we are the food and drink capital of Yorkshire and will involve a big (we hope) food and drink festival in Harrogate in December 2012 and we are working to get a big event which is called Love Cooking to sign up to use the conference center at the same time ie cooking with celeb chefs stuff like that. Hoping its going to be really cool. Long and short its as good as you make it.

Back