Inn the news Nov 20, 2010

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Napa's first B&B turns 30
Napa Valley Register
Carol and Jim Beazley say “some of our friends thought we were nuts” when they decided to open a bed and breakfast inn in Napa 30 years ago. ...
Note from JB - this is my idea of a terrific innkeeper photo for a website (I hope they use it). Obv this is Napa, so the image suits the location of the B&B. Click on it for a larger view.

blog
Running a Bed and Breakfast Is a Lot of Hard Work
By Patti Rob
Running a bed and breakfast may sound like the perfect job for some people. But it takes dedication and hard work to make a B & B business profitable. It's the guests who are supposed to have fun, not you, and you will have to work long ...
Note from JB - There is also a link to this: http://www.bedandbreakfastprofits.com/ which promotes an eBook. If anyone has read this pls share your experience.

Napa's first B&B turns 30
Napa Valley Register
Carol and Jim Beazley say “some of our friends thought we were nuts” when they decided to open a bed and breakfast inn in Napa 30 years ago. ...
Note from JB - this is my idea of a terrific innkeeper photo for a website (I hope they use it). Obv this is Napa, so the image suits the location of the B&B. Click on it for a larger view..
Hey, they've gotten a little older than when I met them. :) They have a great place.

blog
Running a Bed and Breakfast Is a Lot of Hard Work
By Patti Rob
Running a bed and breakfast may sound like the perfect job for some people. But it takes dedication and hard work to make a B & B business profitable. It's the guests who are supposed to have fun, not you, and you will have to work long ...
Note from JB - There is also a link to this: http://www.bedandbreakfastprofits.com/ which promotes an eBook. If anyone has read this pls share your experience..
I have just bought the book and will report back what I think. It is $29 approx which is not any more or less expensive than a real book so I will let everyone know what I think.

bought the book and read it last night. Is more aimed at people thinking of starting a B&B or buying one and in that respect is usefull but would not be particularly useful for people more than a year down the line. It is not about running an in but about how to start sorting out credit for your new business and what to look for in buying a place. I love their phrase "build it where the hungry hamburger eaters are!" meaning B&B is not about buying a nice place and hoping people come there it is about finding a place where people are short a place to stay (ie demand outstrips supply) and tap into that. It is focused on marketing, making sure you arn't just following the crowd and making sure you know that what you are spending money on if providing a return and that it is measurable. All of which is good advice.

I got a l an ierbb newsletter yesterday/magazine which I hadn't had before, trying to get me back I 'spose. In it was the expert on selling your B&B who said "add an extra room, try to get more revenue so the numbers look good" Oh is THAT ALL! Gee maybe we could have thought of that, just add an extra bloody room! haha

I got a l an ierbb newsletter yesterday/magazine which I hadn't had before, trying to get me back I 'spose. In it was the expert on selling your B&B who said "add an extra room, try to get more revenue so the numbers look good" Oh is THAT ALL! Gee maybe we could have thought of that, just add an extra bloody room! haha.
Great advice! Now - just who is going to pay for the extra bathroom required, the extra cleaning required, the extra linens.... And as far as the numbers are concerned, one more room to possibly be empty???? What planet does that person come from?

people like that assume you have huge living quarters and could just give up one room of it for more revenue plus obvously don't know the vast majority of B&B's are all ensuite they think oh just one more to share the communal bathroom then done in a flash. what a complete idiot!

Back