Inn the news Nov 29, 2010

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blog
Question from JB - will you blog about Giving Gift Certificates this year?
Bed and Breakfast Gift Certificate is a Great Christmas Gift
By Garden Gate Get-A-Way B&B
Many people have never thought of a B&B as the better way to stay but if you do your homework you will find just the right bed and breakfast for the people on your gift list. You'll find places near the water, places in the country, ...

I can't find the processing fees for the merchants who accept the AmEx GC's so it may depend entirely on your processor's pass-thru fees. Worst case 4%.
I don't worry about multiple cards being used for the same room(s). Most of the time we have couples here and they just have one of them pay using one card. I have had a family group want to each use a separate card for one room. The worst one was a group of 6 in 2 rooms, who had me divide the whole bill and they each paid $48. It takes more time than anything else. The access fee for each dial-in is only 10 cents. The rest of it depends on what kind of rewards card the guest has. But it takes a long time to run 6 cards and keep everyone waiting. It uses a lot of paper and it's very noisy. And someone always has to pee!
Then we get the ones who have 2 paying cash, 1 writing a check and the others using credit cards. So, there is running around for change, running the cards, taking the check. But it is all money and that's what I'm in it for.
If it is 2 or more women I always ask if they want me to split the bill. Many are surprised I will do that but most are happy I will.

Hotel welcomes goose guest[/h1]"She's just like having a 2-year-old all the time," Thomas said of the diapered water fowl. "She's affectionate and gets into stuff."
article here
another story on this goose from Roanoke VA:[/h2]Well-traveled goose is a real Florida snowbird[/h2]"Have diaper will travel"
(What is it with FloriDUH and diapers)
wink_smile.gif

I post this as I ask you, we had guests pay with AMEX gift cards yesterday, have you had any experience with these?
Kardashians sisters want out of debit-card dealhttp://apnews.myway.com/article/20101129/D9JQ3FDO0.html
excerpt: The initial feels were just the start. After those six or 12 months are up, it costs $7.95 a month to keep using the card. Users have to pay $1.50 to withdraw cash from an ATM, and $1 to check their balance. Talking to a customer representative on the phone costs $1.50 for each call, and canceling the card costs $6.
Losing the card results in a charge of $9.95. If the loss is reported within two days, then losses are limited to $50. But if the loss or theft is not reported, and the issuer believes the user knew it was lost or stolen, then losses could be as high as $500, according to the terms and conditions on the Kardashian Kard website.

If I can I try to get as many people to pay the night before so it spreads it a bit time wise and is less stressful. If it is a larger group ie 4 rooms explain that it is very busy in the morning during breakfast and it would be really helpful. What makes it worce is peopel think they have paid at the time of booking and then you have to argue with them and show them on their paperwork where it says this is for security and you won't be charged. which holds the whole thing up. Some places just charge all the cards at the time or the night before and have done with it. But I always think it means you never get cash or cheques which are cheaper to process so it is worth the bit of extra faff.

If I can I try to get as many people to pay the night before so it spreads it a bit time wise and is less stressful. If it is a larger group ie 4 rooms explain that it is very busy in the morning during breakfast and it would be really helpful. What makes it worce is peopel think they have paid at the time of booking and then you have to argue with them and show them on their paperwork where it says this is for security and you won't be charged. which holds the whole thing up. Some places just charge all the cards at the time or the night before and have done with it. But I always think it means you never get cash or cheques which are cheaper to process so it is worth the bit of extra faff..
bit of extra faff.
I love these expressions! It makes it so much easier to watch the BBC now that I know what they're saying!

Back