Inn the news Oct 26, 2014

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how stupid was this guy? he built it with no permit! that is just plain DUMB!!!!!

As I was reading the article I was feeling sorry for the guy...until the last sentence that said he built it it before getting the special variance permit! Who does that!!

People do this sometimes, out of ignorance, or with the thought that authorities surely won't say no after all this money has been spent. But authorities do. Oh yes, they do.
One guy in my town built a huge barn in the back yard to house his big RV. He had to tear the barn down when the neighbors complained that it was a zoning violation.

how stupid was this guy? he built it with no permit! that is just plain DUMB!!!!!.
With all the hoops we had to jump through to get our license, how is this guy RENTING ROOMS without a permit, and being ALLOWED to operate until the end of the month until being closed??????
Not only operating without a permit, he built in an area that was not ZONED for a B&B and didn't bother to apply for the special use permit until AFTER he started his business??????

how stupid was this guy? he built it with no permit! that is just plain DUMB!!!!!.
With all the hoops we had to jump through to get our license, how is this guy RENTING ROOMS without a permit, and being ALLOWED to operate until the end of the month until being closed??????
Not only operating without a permit, he built in an area that was not ZONED for a B&B and didn't bother to apply for the special use permit until AFTER he started his business??????
I wondered if you would show up to comment :) You probably know all about it...Definitely a stupid owner...Serves him right. Some people think they will be able to get away with anything...NOT!

I wondered if you would show up to comment :) You probably know all about it...Definitely a stupid owner...Serves him right. Some people think they will be able to get away with anything...NOT!
It is so silly - was on our news since it is the next County up. His B&B is a strange design that he built - kind of a hippy-ish setup. Not my style to be sure. And that County is nowhere as strict as ours is.

People do this sometimes, out of ignorance, or with the thought that authorities surely won't say no after all this money has been spent. But authorities do. Oh yes, they do.
One guy in my town built a huge barn in the back yard to house his big RV. He had to tear the barn down when the neighbors complained that it was a zoning violation..
Yep. That's what people do. It is the old, "I'll build it and then make them accept it." We see it a lot here and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't . If someone gets a hair up there wazoo, it can all come crashing down.

Some people in my county built a huge "events center" on their property to hold indoor concerts, weddings, etc. They didn't ask the health department in advance about what's required for a commercial kitchen. They put in a regular (very nice) household-style kitchen.
Health department told them it didn't meet requirements for serving the public. It took them another $30,000 to tear stuff out and redo it to meet the regulations. Like me, it seems a lot of people learn all their lessons the hard way!

Back