Inn the news October 23, 2011

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[tr]

Veterans honored with discounted and complimentary B&B stays
Examiner.com
“Giving them a chance to escape and unwind at a B&B is a fantastic way to honor their courage and sacrifice,” said Mary White, founder of BnBFinder and author of the book, Running a Bed and Breakfast For Dummies. “I'm thrilled to see so many inns ...
See all stories on this topic »
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Campaign for Prostate Health and Edmonton Opera receives big gift
Edmonton Journal
"We stayed at former Edmonton wine importer Marc Vigneron's bed and breakfast in Le Lengeron in the Loire Valley and Marc took us to visit friends and taste wine at some very special wineries," said Marie. It was during Roger's treatment - he's the ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Hilary Hartman, Benjamin Mossberg
New York Times
Rabbi David Shneyer is to officiate at the Briar Patch Bed and Breakfast in Middleburg, Va. Mrs. Mossberg, 27, is a research analyst in the Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence at the Treasury Department in Washington. From 2005 to 2006, ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[tr]

Building a Bridge Between Students and Business Leaders
Flathead Beacon
The list of businesses slated to participate is wide-ranging: cell phone repair, pottery, a florist, a bike store, a bed and breakfast, a high-tech company, a coffee shop and more. “What's exciting is the students get to leave the walls of the building ...
[/td]

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

County off chain with business tax audit
Jacksonville Daily News
My business is running a bed and breakfast in my home here in Jacksonville for the past 15 years in the Downtown Historic District — yes, folks, Jacksonville does have a Historic District. My first concern was the veiled threat, in the letter, ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

PRAIRIE GARDENER: Bus tour of Vermont includes sights of fall splendor and ...
Grand Forks Herald
We spent several nights at the Greenbrier Inn, a quaint bed and breakfast near Killington. Situated in the Berkshire Mountains, Norman Rockwell spent the last 25 years in this region where he painted. We visited the Billings Farm & Museum in Woodstock, ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration
Stockton Record
Robert and Myrna Garcia celebrated their 30th Anniversary on Sept 19th, 2011 in Carmel by the Sea at their favorite Bed and Breakfast. During a beautiful sunset on the beach, Robert presented Myrna with a beautiful anniversary ring of a pearl and ...
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

Triple opening in north
Stock and Land
There is also a second cottage on the property, which Mr Starr said had potential as guest accommodation or perhaps a bed and breakfast, pending council approval. Other improvements include a machinery and hay shed, a second machinery shed, ...
[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

First item - strange it sounded like BnBfinder inns are the BnBforvets?

First item - strange it sounded like BnBfinder inns are the BnBforvets?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, reading that it does sound that way. I am saddened that it has been diluted. I have no problem with Directories trumpeting, but it would be nice if they directed everyone to THE listing site - it is not as if that is the site of a competitor. It is the PAII site. We gave it over to them because that was "neutral territory", an association not a directory.
Makes me wonder if we would have been mentioned if I was NOT listed on that web directory...... I listed this year for the first time...........

Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, reading that it does sound that way. I am saddened that it has been diluted. I have no problem with Directories trumpeting, but it would be nice if they directed everyone to THE listing site - it is not as if that is the site of a competitor. It is the PAII site. We gave it over to them because that was "neutral territory", an association not a directory.
Makes me wonder if we would have been mentioned if I was NOT listed on that web directory...... I listed this year for the first time...........
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
The photo caption on the left is what made me read it that way. There is no link to the BnB4vets site which I thought would have been appropriate.
Uh, all the publicity this got LAST YEAR, I am sure they would jump at the chance to have this directory included in that name/theme.

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
The photo caption on the left is what made me read it that way. There is no link to the BnB4vets site which I thought would have been appropriate.
Uh, all the publicity this got LAST YEAR, I am sure they would jump at the chance to have this directory included in that name/theme.
And I am still getting e-mails and calls from Vets looking for B & Bs. Yes, I had hoped to see either the www.bnbsforvets.org or the www.betterwaytostay.com listed as "For more information...." AND it is supposed to be the FREE on Nov 10 that is the push, not any other special!!!

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
And I am still getting e-mails and calls from Vets looking for B & Bs. Yes, I had hoped to see either the www.bnbsforvets.org or the www.betterwaytostay.com listed as "For more information...." AND it is supposed to be the FREE on Nov 10 that is the push, not any other special!!!
gillumhouse said:
My name got connected with it here so we are still fielding calls. I'm directing them to the site so they can search for themselves. My opinion is it should be what it says it is - a free night on Nov 10 - and not some other come on. I do know some innkeepers have decided to host the vets on different nights and that's up to them. But these 'we're all sold out but come for 1/2 off' are really irking me. Do one room and be done with it if that's all you want to do. Do NOT bait and switch.
And do not tell me the vets are grateful to be scammed.

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
My name got connected with it here so we are still fielding calls. I'm directing them to the site so they can search for themselves. My opinion is it should be what it says it is - a free night on Nov 10 - and not some other come on. I do know some innkeepers have decided to host the vets on different nights and that's up to them. But these 'we're all sold out but come for 1/2 off' are really irking me. Do one room and be done with it if that's all you want to do. Do NOT bait and switch.
Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:
That is what we were fighting last year. They are so busy trying to find a way to make a buck some way some how that they are screwing up the whole damned thing. IF PAII had just left it as the spreadsheet it was last year it would have been so cut & dried AND easy for the inns to register. Do you notice there is NOT the publicity this year that there was last year. I do not think it is just because this is year 2. I think it has a lot to do with it is no longer just a free night for Vets.
It could have had the banner - The Better Way to Stay on the redirect of the domain everyone recognized. I stepped back and said nothing because I gave it up as did the web master. We tried. Thre really is the satisfaction that Canada has picked it up this year - so it WAS a good idea. Sigh.............

Joey Bloggs said:
May be a problem with the Examin er. I had an email request for a free night's stay for a "travel writer" writing for this website, so I clicked through to read the sample article. That was a 1 pager on a B&B that was full of typos and grammatical errors. Googled and found that this website has a rather unusual business model. Might be that the author wasn't used to getting all the facts straight.

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:
I have found vets on my own this year. Last year I had too many calls from military and veterans charities (some of which sounded pretty bogus) trying to sell me ads or have me make donations who specifically mentioned my listing on the website, and I've found these military types to be more aggressive on the phone than the usual telemarketers.
I think I reaped positive PR last year, but really had more calls of the spam type than the "good PR results in rooms booked" type calls.
So I'm doing my part but without what I perceive as negative publicity. I'll see if this year works out as well for my vet guests as last year.

Joey Bloggs said:
is there a way to comment on the article? that would be a start?

Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:
I have found vets on my own this year. Last year I had too many calls from military and veterans charities (some of which sounded pretty bogus) trying to sell me ads or have me make donations who specifically mentioned my listing on the website, and I've found these military types to be more aggressive on the phone than the usual telemarketers.
I think I reaped positive PR last year, but really had more calls of the spam type than the "good PR results in rooms booked" type calls.
So I'm doing my part but without what I perceive as negative publicity. I'll see if this year works out as well for my vet guests as last year.
Innkeep it was almost one year ago that I was able to visit your inn for the first time, and I saw the gift of a centerpiece from a Vet that you honored, and it really made me smile, as well as the photos you shared. I won't soapbox this, but I have felt all along that reaching out to your local military post or base or reserve would be extra special. Give them the free night and let them pick someone from amongst them there who would be given this gift. It may be the parents of a soldier who gave all, and if it be that the local or base newspaper cover the story, then great.
It is unfortunate that the media on this also attracts the nutjobs.

Back