INNcoming!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
teeny tiny ants in the kitchen
medium sized ants in a bathroom
a big big jumbo bumblebee in the study
Inncoming! yikers ...

Ahh spring has sprung.... I noticed some carpenter bees revving up to start making holes in our home soon. The warm weather also has the black flies up and in your face...they aren't biting yet, but in a week or so they will start (can only hope for a nice frost in the next few days to kil them back...but that's probably not going to happen.

We vacuumed the bees up with the leaf blower. I was raking and all of a sudden there were bees everywhere! Big, juicy bumblebees. I would have left them alone but they were right by the entry door. Hubs got out the leaf blower and reversed it so it was a leaf vacuum and sucked the bees up. I haven't gone back over to that patch again but I did want to plant a rose bush there this year.
That's the most bumblebees I've ever seen in one spot! We usually only have 2-3 of them.

We vacuumed the bees up with the leaf blower. I was raking and all of a sudden there were bees everywhere! Big, juicy bumblebees. I would have left them alone but they were right by the entry door. Hubs got out the leaf blower and reversed it so it was a leaf vacuum and sucked the bees up. I haven't gone back over to that patch again but I did want to plant a rose bush there this year.
That's the most bumblebees I've ever seen in one spot! We usually only have 2-3 of them..
How does one go about getting them out of the leaf vac after they have been slurped into the leaf vac?
confused_smile.gif

That's the most bumblebees I've ever seen in one spot! We usually only have 2-3 of them..
My normally stoic DH has one fear - bees. He was waiting for me when I came back from running errands yesterday with a fly swatter, informing me that he couldn't go down in the basement until I killed the bee that had got in down there. He was doing outside work yesterday and claims he hasn't seen so many bees before in a long time. He could be exaggerating, though.

How does one go about getting them out of the leaf vac after they have been slurped into the leaf vac?
confused_smile.gif

It has a bag attachment which shreds the leaves (and the bees) so you just dump everything out. I wondered the same thing until I remembered it does the shred thing.

bees are a problem. you don't want to kill them because we need them for pollination ... they've almost become endangered in some areas. see article
i don't have my mini shop vac here, but it blows out just by putting the hose on the other end. so, i guess a clean container and vacuming up the bees, then blowing them back out into the field out back here would be great! thanks for mentioning that, bree. the dustbuster didn't work so great because then i had to put it on the ground, pull off the catcher thing and run! silly me ... watching from inside as the bee finally ... slowly ... crawled out. was probably stunned.

I used to have one beehive here in the back yard. It was great. I loved all the honey bees flying around. Got some great honey I used for the B & B too. Honey bees are a bit different than bumble bees. You just have to remember that when you get excited and start waving your hands around they will sting you so you don't do that and just stay calm. If they land on you they will eventually go away. I would rather be covered head to toe with bees than have 1 spider on me!!!!

Yes.bees are becoming endangered (especially honey bees). My sister just emailed me regarding her honey bee problem. They own a vacation cabin in the N. GA mountains and just came back after doing some spring planting. They have a very active honey bee hive in one wall. They got an estimate of $600 to have the bees removed then THEY will have to remove the damaged area and repair it. I replied to her to contact an area honey bee farm.
Now I have another 'problem' which I origionally thought was cute! We now have a 'pet' blue jay. The bird taps on my side door all day long. The door is a full length glass paned french door. We can not understand why it has chosen to make this a daily habit. It sits on the trim of the glass, looking in for a few minutes then starts fluttering upward, tapping on the glass several times. Then it lands on the gardina bush beside the porch before starting the process again for about 30 minutes leaves for a while then here he is again - 3-4 times a day. This has been happening for over a week now!

Yes.bees are becoming endangered (especially honey bees). My sister just emailed me regarding her honey bee problem. They own a vacation cabin in the N. GA mountains and just came back after doing some spring planting. They have a very active honey bee hive in one wall. They got an estimate of $600 to have the bees removed then THEY will have to remove the damaged area and repair it. I replied to her to contact an area honey bee farm.
Now I have another 'problem' which I origionally thought was cute! We now have a 'pet' blue jay. The bird taps on my side door all day long. The door is a full length glass paned french door. We can not understand why it has chosen to make this a daily habit. It sits on the trim of the glass, looking in for a few minutes then starts fluttering upward, tapping on the glass several times. Then it lands on the gardina bush beside the porch before starting the process again for about 30 minutes leaves for a while then here he is again - 3-4 times a day. This has been happening for over a week now!.
oh! don't get me started on bluejays! i actually had one peck my head when i got under the tree where a nest was. and the audobon society was not at all sympathetic. warned me that it is a federal offense to harrass birds. hey, the bird started it! and i didn't want to harrass the bird, i just wanted it not to attack me or my elderly golden retriever. the lady at the society told me to wear a hat and put one on the dog! what a riot. my old dog would go outside in a big hurry with a toy helmet tied around her head. and then rush back inside as quick as her old legs would take her. wish i had a picture!
anyway, i believe the bird is seeing its reflection in your windows and is trying to scare it away. if you want it to stop you have to put something on the outside of the windows so it doesn't see the reflection. or a hawk decal or something. good luck!
p.s. the audobon society used to have a recording of helpful hints, call them and you may still hear their recording 'if you have birds nesting in your plants, press one', if you have birds pecking at your windows, press two' etc. but they didn't have one for birds attacking your head so i had to leave a message.
confused_smile.gif

Now I have another 'problem' which I origionally thought was cute! We now have a 'pet' blue jay. The bird taps on my side door all day long. The door is a full length glass paned french door. We can not understand why it has chosen to make this a daily habit. It sits on the trim of the glass, looking in for a few minutes then starts fluttering upward, tapping on the glass several times. Then it lands on the gardina bush beside the porch before starting the process again for about 30 minutes leaves for a while then here he is again - 3-4 times a day. This has been happening for over a week now!.
oh! don't get me started on bluejays! i actually had one peck my head when i got under the tree where a nest was. and the audobon society was not at all sympathetic. warned me that it is a federal offense to harrass birds. hey, the bird started it! and i didn't want to harrass the bird, i just wanted it not to attack me or my elderly golden retriever. the lady at the society told me to wear a hat and put one on the dog! what a riot. my old dog would go outside in a big hurry with a toy helmet tied around her head. and then rush back inside as quick as her old legs would take her. wish i had a picture!
anyway, i believe the bird is seeing its reflection in your windows and is trying to scare it away. if you want it to stop you have to put something on the outside of the windows so it doesn't see the reflection. or a hawk decal or something. good luck!
p.s. the audobon society used to have a recording of helpful hints, call them and you may still hear their recording 'if you have birds nesting in your plants, press one', if you have birds pecking at your windows, press two' etc. but they didn't have one for birds attacking your head so i had to leave a message.
confused_smile.gif

SS wrote: wish i had a picture!
Just thinking about it was a visual.. Funny to see but not if you were your furry friend! Thanks for the tid bit of info. May try something like putting over the glass. Just wonder why the door and not any of the double windows on that side of the house (one just 2 feet from the door). At first we thought it could be small flying bugs it was after but they aren't attracted to the door until evening when the lights come on and the bird is no longer around. Then we thought it was after the cat food. We feed our cat on the porch and have seen birds eat what was left. Had also thought it was trying to get the cat.

confused_smile.gif

We had a grackle. It got down the chimney into the woodstove in the spring. I heard something and the dog kept staring at the stove. I got hubs as I am really afraid of birds in the house and I thought it was a bat (yes, I do know that bats are not birds). He tried getting it back outside by dismantling the stovepipe from the outside (lovely creosote-y mess on the porch) but it wouldn't go backwards back up the chimney, even tho we figured it could see daylight with the stovepipe opened up.
Finally had to close all the doors in the house so it couldn't get too far, lock up the dog and the cat and let it out the woodstove door. It flew around the room a couple of times, got stuck behind the bookcase and hubs poked at it with a golf club hoping it would hop on the golf club and let him carry it outside.
Finally it flew out onto the screened porch and then outside. Hubs reassembled the stovepipe just in time for the bird to fly back down the chimney. The second time the bird flew out of the stove, out onto the porch and out the door. The THIRD time it tapped on the glass door of the woodstove and then flew right out the open door, no flapping around in the house or on the porch.
It came back the next day and did the tapping on the glass thing again, and we let it out. And that was the end of it. THAT year.
It came back the next spring, flew right down the chimney and tapped immediately on the door to get out. And flew right out the door. It was like a game or something.
We never covered the chimney pipe and it came back one more time. I called hubs at work, 'It's baaaaaaaaaaack.' No way I would let it out on my own so it sat in there with the dog watching it, tapping all afternoon until hubs got home.

confused_smile.gif

We had a grackle. It got down the chimney into the woodstove in the spring. I heard something and the dog kept staring at the stove. I got hubs as I am really afraid of birds in the house and I thought it was a bat (yes, I do know that bats are not birds). He tried getting it back outside by dismantling the stovepipe from the outside (lovely creosote-y mess on the porch) but it wouldn't go backwards back up the chimney, even tho we figured it could see daylight with the stovepipe opened up.
Finally had to close all the doors in the house so it couldn't get too far, lock up the dog and the cat and let it out the woodstove door. It flew around the room a couple of times, got stuck behind the bookcase and hubs poked at it with a golf club hoping it would hop on the golf club and let him carry it outside.
Finally it flew out onto the screened porch and then outside. Hubs reassembled the stovepipe just in time for the bird to fly back down the chimney. The second time the bird flew out of the stove, out onto the porch and out the door. The THIRD time it tapped on the glass door of the woodstove and then flew right out the open door, no flapping around in the house or on the porch.
It came back the next day and did the tapping on the glass thing again, and we let it out. And that was the end of it. THAT year.
It came back the next spring, flew right down the chimney and tapped immediately on the door to get out. And flew right out the door. It was like a game or something.
We never covered the chimney pipe and it came back one more time. I called hubs at work, 'It's baaaaaaaaaaack.' No way I would let it out on my own so it sat in there with the dog watching it, tapping all afternoon until hubs got home.
We had a similar experience with a squirrel in a chimney one winter when we lived in upstate New York. We had no stove door to get it out, though, and it ended very badly for the squirrel. When DH went to change the furnace filters the following fall, he opened the furnace to find a dry-roasted squirrel stuck there. Freaked him right out.

confused_smile.gif

We had a similar experience with a squirrel in a chimney one winter when we lived in upstate New York. We had no stove door to get it out, though, and it ended very badly for the squirrel. When DH went to change the furnace filters the following fall, he opened the furnace to find a dry-roasted squirrel stuck there. Freaked him right out.
muirford said:
That's a fairly common occurence from what I've heard...little bones in the furnace.

confused_smile.gif

Bree, that is the funniest thing I've ever heard. If you had videotaped that you may have won a lot of money on America's Funniest Home Videos!

confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
That's a fairly common occurence from what I've heard...little bones in the furnace.
No bones - whole squirrel. Flat and kind of crunchy. He used my kitchen tongs to retrieve it and then wondered why I had to buy new ones.

confused_smile.gif

Bree, that is the funniest thing I've ever heard. If you had videotaped that you may have won a lot of money on America's Funniest Home Videos!
Country Girl said:
Yeah, I've heard that quite a lot! I've told that story here before, I'm pretty sure. It was amazing that when it came back the following year that it started pecking on the glass right away. That's got to be one smart bird (dumb to keep coming down the chimney, but smart to remember how to get out!)

confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
No bones - whole squirrel. Flat and kind of crunchy. He used my kitchen tongs to retrieve it and then wondered why I had to buy new ones.
muirford said:
Ewwwwww.

confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
muirford said:
STOP! You guys make me think of the novel Pet Cemetary... ha ha

I cannot top any of that! We went to open up the 1778 log house one Spring and found a grackel in the chimney of a kerosene lamp. Somehow it had gone into the chimney of the lamp and there it stayed - it almost looked as if it had been preserved and displayed that way.

Back