Innkeeper Demeaner and Presence

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Of late we have been called snobs, assumed hired help, etc...
What do you think impacts the innkeepers demeaner?
Is this simply one of those "TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST" so you can take better care of the guests?
Should innkeepers present themselves as the owners first? What influences the way you feel as the host of your bed and breakfast? I have been to inns where the owners were arrogant and not welcoming. I have also been to inns where the owners wore Levi's and a polo shirt and sat and had coffee with you at breakfast. We are all as different as our inns are different. Is pride of ownership a factor?
Every innkeeper is a VIP at their Inn but guests day in and day out wears them thin. Have you done anything just for you lately? Can you go out and shop for innkeeper apparel (ie uniforms) for the day just for yourself? I think you deserve it. I want to encourage you to take some "me" time.

I just love the way your mind works
teeth_smile.gif
Great thread.
I think it definitely goes to taking care of yourself first, making sure your needs are met so you can put on a smile and take care of everyone else.
It also goes to making sure you are in this work for the right reason. I firmly believe any b&b can be successful if the keepers have a specific mission and design their policies/procedures to meet that mission. For instance, I am not a "destination b&b"...I assume people are here to see the tourist attractions, not to specifically stay at my house. So I design our amenities, policies, etc. to meet the needs of those I want staying here. So I have no whirlpool tubs, fireplaces, etc. because I don't want that to be the focus of the visit...but I have tons of maps, orientation materials, tour info...because that's who I want to make happy and draw in.
I think innkeepers get into trouble when they start trying to be all things to all people just in an effort to have high occupancy. I've seen an innkeeper I know in a neighboring state get stretched too thin in her mission...she markets specifically to families with kids, gay/lesbian travelers, people with pets, couples looking for a romantic get-a-way...basically she will book anything. People get disappointed because they have expectations that aren't being met, there is no focus so all the little details suffer. She gets people in the door, but there are very few repeaters, so she's always spinning her wheels...

I agree, it is really important to find your niche in the market and gear your business towards it.

Joe Bloggs said:
Pride of place. The more we do to make this place look better, the better we feel and the less guff we take. It's not stunning, no one oohs and aahs when they walk in, but it's comfortable, warm and inviting. THAT, in turn, makes ME comfortable, which then makes me warm and inviting.
I try to get out for a walk everyday. Getting away sans phone and not with hubs means I can talk about other stuff besides work. So, my friend and I talk politics, religion, kids, marriage and we have remarkably different opinions on all of it so it's refreshing and invigorating!

"always spinning her wheels..."
A good definition of what many of us do and get worn thin.

Joe Bloggs said:
Pride of place. The more we do to make this place look better, the better we feel and the less guff we take. It's not stunning, no one oohs and aahs when they walk in, but it's comfortable, warm and inviting. THAT, in turn, makes ME comfortable, which then makes me warm and inviting.
I try to get out for a walk everyday. Getting away sans phone and not with hubs means I can talk about other stuff besides work. So, my friend and I talk politics, religion, kids, marriage and we have remarkably different opinions on all of it so it's refreshing and invigorating!.
Bree said:
It's not stunning, no one oohs and aahs when they walk in, but it's comfortable, warm and inviting. THAT, in turn, makes ME comfortable, which then makes me warm and inviting.
You sell yourself short. Your place is wonderful. I oohed..I aahed, just the lights were out so you couldn't hear them ;)

For me it is diversify. I am involved in enough things that the B & B, although the center of my world, is not my whole world. It gives me more things to talk to the guests about. They are interested in the area and the people and because of my involvement in government, rail-trails, band, etc I can discuss it better. These activities also FORCE me away from the B & B for meetings, conferences, etc.
I did not want any of my kids or grandkids to be a "Johnny One-Note", I wanted them well-rounded and I think my activities do that for me. I do hear a lot of "how wonderful" comments when guests come in, not because it is grand in any way, but the woodwork and staircase is beautiful and it reminds them of their Grandmother's house. Band rehearsals are MY time.
Forgot: I am not a "destination" either. I get people because of my packages that open the area to them with turn-by=turn directions to take them to see things. I just got a reservation for a return trip for horses that were here in January. I have had the romance/kids/business/etc but usually not all at the same time so it works. One advantage of being small.

Joe Bloggs said:
I try to get out for a walk everyday. Getting away sans phone and not with hubs means I can talk about other stuff besides work. So, my friend and I talk politics, religion, kids, marriage and we have remarkably different opinions on all of it so it's refreshing and invigorating!.
Bree said:
It's not stunning, no one oohs and aahs when they walk in, but it's comfortable, warm and inviting. THAT, in turn, makes ME comfortable, which then makes me warm and inviting.
You sell yourself short. Your place is wonderful. I oohed..I aahed, just the lights were out so you couldn't hear them ;)
swirt said:
Bree said:
Wait, you oohed and aahed and I couldn't hear it because the lights were out? Hmmmm. Thanks, btw, I appreciate that. Could I get you to write a TA review on your stay?
wink_smile.gif
And you came BEFORE we did all the work so that's even better. Nice. You should come back after your season is over and visit again.

Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
Bree said:
Wait, you oohed and aahed and I couldn't hear it because the lights were out? Hmmmm. Thanks, btw, I appreciate that. Could I get you to write a TA review on your stay?
wink_smile.gif
And you came BEFORE we did all the work so that's even better. Nice. You should come back after your season is over and visit again.
;)
You should come back after your season is over and visit again.
Hmmm how much trouble could bwirt get into toddling through that big cool store in your town...that could be fun :) (no he's not toddling yet)

Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
Bree said:
wink_smile.gif
;)
You should come back after your season is over and visit again.
Hmmm how much trouble could bwirt get into toddling through that big cool store in your town...that could be fun :) (no he's not toddling yet)
No trouble at all...it's built with everyone in mind. Just watch out for the fish pond! And he MAY be toddling by the end of the season!

17th year in business. Guests are guests in my home. Yes, I'm an innkeeper but it's also my home. My goal is to make sure that guests feel like they are guests in my home but that I'm also here to look after them. I will chat with guests over coffee at breakfast, I will give them an overview of the area, restaurant suggestions, etc. when they arrive and do my best to make them feel comfortable here. After that I have my own life. My evenings are for my husband. I anticipate anything the guest could want before they arrive they will then leave me alone! LOL!! I walk for an hour almost every day with a friend. I go out and do lots of fun things for myself. I can run at 100% occupancy for a few months but I have a couple of months off in the winter and that saves me.

Back