Innkeeper Ettiquette

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
This is from an EXPERIENCED innkeeper (12 years down and still loving it)
  • Greet the guests on the porch IF possible
  • Greet them by name if they are reservations
  • IF there are going to be any hugs - at checkout NOT at check-in
  • If possible show them to the room, tell them what is necessry and boogie
  • IF they wish to chat, they will initiate it
  • verify dietary needs (and pray they remember anything they forgot to tell you)
As a guest, I do not want touched by anyone until I know them a bit better. There are some people I would rather not even shke hands with!
These are just a few things I can think of off-hand as a guideline for newbies.

They ALL love hugs at check-in. Even the Europeans, who don't hug.
You know what, Gillum, -- I post here to answer questions, and interact with other innkeepers. I wear my heart on my sleeve, and try to tell it like it is. Maybe I'm too aggressive, but that's me.
When I read your posts -- in answer to mine -- I really get a sick feeling in my stomach.

You know what, Gillum, -- I post here to answer questions, and interact with other innkeepers. I wear my heart on my sleeve, and try to tell it like it is. Maybe I'm too aggressive, but that's me.
When I read your posts -- in answer to mine -- I really get a sick feeling in my stomach..
trishany said:
When I read your posts -- in answer to mine -- I really get a sick feeling in my stomach.
See, this may be a regional thing...I would never hug a guest I didn't know from a previous visit. Especially the ones I get. I certainly wouldn't want to hug them, much less BE hugged by them. But that's me. I'm not a warm person. I'm standoffish. If I were hugged by a complete stranger at the door to a B&B, I might have to leave.
confused_smile.gif
Even some guests who want to hug when they leave, I don't want to hug.
Can anyone see me hugging some of the guests I had last week? If I hugged the kids, the parents would bolt. They'd think we were weirdos.

When I read your posts -- in answer to mine -- I really get a sick feeling in my stomach..
Speaking for myself (and most people I know), I cannot stand it when people I don't know presume to hug me. A handshake is more than enough. Please show me some respect, and don't invade my space until we are emotionally close enough.
That includes not calling me by my first name. I'll let you know when it's OK to address me as anything other than Mr. Patterson. When I do, my name is James, not Jim, and certainly not Jimmy!
Just my preferences, but I think in general it is much better to err on the side of caution and professionalism until someone indicates otherwise. I certainly wouldn't go to the bank and hug the teller!
As an innkeeper, we usually have to accept what a guest puts out, but I don't think it's good practice to be overly familiar with guests. I want them to be comfortable, and for many that does not include hugging people they don't know.

Of course you introduce yourself...and learn which guests they are...But how would you greet them by name if you've never met them before and you have more than one room checking in?
I would never hug someone at check-in and my uncle is The Mad Hugger from Minnesota! Really!
I can barely get a handshake out of most people and often don't even meet them until breakfast because DH does the check-in...
Diffrent strokes for differnt folks, trishany, don't take it personally!

Speaking for myself (and most people I know), I cannot stand it when people I don't know presume to hug me. A handshake is more than enough. Please show me some respect, and don't invade my space until we are emotionally close enough.
That includes not calling me by my first name. I'll let you know when it's OK to address me as anything other than Mr. Patterson. When I do, my name is James, not Jim, and certainly not Jimmy!
Just my preferences, but I think in general it is much better to err on the side of caution and professionalism until someone indicates otherwise. I certainly wouldn't go to the bank and hug the teller!
As an innkeeper, we usually have to accept what a guest puts out, but I don't think it's good practice to be overly familiar with guests. I want them to be comfortable, and for many that does not include hugging people they don't know.
Now, see, I would not address any guest as 'Mr' anything unless they were 80 years old or so. And I think that's because of the personal nature of the business. You're in my house. You may be a guest, but I address guests as if they were acquaintances.

Maybe its my big, beautiful blue eyes, my dimpled smile and, most importantly, my heart-felt welcome that gives them warm inviting feeling?.

Of course you introduce yourself...and learn which guests they are...But how would you greet them by name if you've never met them before and you have more than one room checking in?
I would never hug someone at check-in and my uncle is The Mad Hugger from Minnesota! Really!
I can barely get a handshake out of most people and often don't even meet them until breakfast because DH does the check-in...
Diffrent strokes for differnt folks, trishany, don't take it personally!.
Willowpond -- I have webervations -- so I know their first names.
I welcome all of the guests by their first names, welcome them to our house, and give them a hug.
Try it. It goes a looong way,

Notice I said IF they are reservations. Walk-ins cannot be greeted by name! For more than one room, look at the license plate or ask are you...?
When I post identifying myself as a seasoned innkeeper, it is ONLY to counter what I consider misinformation to newbies. I do not consider someone who has been an innkeeper a very short time - UNLESS they have taken innkeeper seminars - as someone to post a how to. Socks has done her homework and offers opinions on things but does not presume to do a How to. Actually most of the seasoned innkeepers do not do a how to because as Bree has shown to all - every day is its own circus. We laugh, cry, tell our sucesses and failures and let everyone do the how to for them and their area and IF it is an opinion, it is marked as such.

Notice I said IF they are reservations. Walk-ins cannot be greeted by name! For more than one room, look at the license plate or ask are you...?
When I post identifying myself as a seasoned innkeeper, it is ONLY to counter what I consider misinformation to newbies. I do not consider someone who has been an innkeeper a very short time - UNLESS they have taken innkeeper seminars - as someone to post a how to. Socks has done her homework and offers opinions on things but does not presume to do a How to. Actually most of the seasoned innkeepers do not do a how to because as Bree has shown to all - every day is its own circus. We laugh, cry, tell our sucesses and failures and let everyone do the how to for them and their area and IF it is an opinion, it is marked as such.
Gillum - do you think that some people just have a GOD-given talent for innkeeping?
That we are supposed to be where we are?
For me, it really doesn't take much -- just an appreciation for life, an appreciation for the people who come into your life, and knowing you are blessed to have such people come into your life, then everything from ther on in is eeeasy.
ALL our guests feel special.
An innkeeper can take all the seminars they want, but if they don't "love" what they are doing, it means nothing.

I welcome all of the guests by their first names, welcome them to our house, and give them a hug.
I have webervations too, but when they come to the door I don't know who they are! Do you just go down the list of names, like "name that guest"? You know what names go with which room, but don't you have to go thru introductions before you know what name to call them? How do you know their name before you've met them? Do you have them send you a picture so you get it right at the door?

trishany said:
See, this may be a regional thing...I would never hug a guest I didn't know from a previous visit. Especially the ones I get. I certainly wouldn't want to hug them, much less BE hugged by them. But that's me. I'm not a warm person. I'm standoffish. If I were hugged by a complete stranger at the door to a B&B, I might have to leave.
confused_smile.gif
Even some guests who want to hug when they leave, I don't want to hug.
Can anyone see me hugging some of the guests I had last week? If I hugged the kids, the parents would bolt. They'd think we were weirdos.
Maybe that would have been an idea....you should have given the bed wetter some hugs and maybe they would have left asap!
devil_smile.gif

Trishany, when someone hugs me who does not know me from Adam... I really get a sick feeling in my stomach.

I have webervations too, but when they come to the door I don't know who they are! Do you just go down the list of names, like "name that guest"? You know what names go with which room, but don't you have to go thru introductions before you know what name to call them? How do you know their name before you've met them? Do you have them send you a picture so you get it right at the door?
Willowpond - look at your printouts.
You should know who's coming, where they are from, what date they are coming, the room they booked, the name of the additional guest, and if they want coffee or tea in the morning.
Of course I know which room they are each in. We only have 4 rooms.

You should know who's coming, where they are from, what date they are coming, the room they booked, the name of the additional guest, and if they want coffee or tea in the morning.
Yes, but when they show up on your doorstep, you really know which guests they are without asking? Are you psychic?

i am a little confused. i never saw these threads before. but the dates look like june?
anyway, i get quite a few hugs when guests are checking out ... sometimes they ask me if they can hug me. sometimes, they just do it. i'd be surprised if a guest hugged me when they checked in. the hugs seem to be a parting, thankyou kind of thing.

Trishany, when someone hugs me who does not know me from Adam... I really get a sick feeling in my stomach..
I agree, No hugs for me either. When people arrive at the door of a B&B they are often uneasy at first... the last thing I want to do is push them over the edge with a hug...and as a guest, the last thing I want is a hug as soon as we meet.
I can't say I am as formal as IronGate with calling people by title and last name. But rarely do I address anyone by name when they arrive.... I stick my paw out and say "Hi I'm Steve Wirt" and they then announce who they are. However they introduce themselves to me is how I will address them. What really throws me are the few who are so nervous or bizarre that after introducing myself to them, they forget to tell me who they are so I have to say, "I'm sorry I can't tell you which room you are in until I know who you are."

Yes, but when they show up on your doorstep, you really know which guests they are without asking? Are you psychic?
Yes I know what time each guest is arriving. And they call me when they think they will be late.
They all don't show up at the same time.
For instance, today we had three couples coming.
One couple was named Fugi and Michiko (a given), another guest was Adam and Shannon, and another was Lisa and Eric.
I mean really, use your god-given common sense --You don't have to be psychic to figure it out.
Who do you think Shannon was?
Who do you think Lisa was?
Shannon (how Irish can you get) I knew it wasn't Lisa

Back