Innkeeper Ettiquette

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of PITAs, would it be appropriate to give them a swift kick in the hind end when they leave?
tounge_smile.gif

JBJ mentioned booze-breath. It's equally important to be neat and clean when guests arrive. B.O. and/or too much cologne can certainly be off putting.
I remember one particular B&B in Vermont where the little lady running it reeked of AVON: Is 1 gallon enough, are two gallons too much?

One guest we had lingered for weeks and weeks. The worst smelling cologne I have ever smelled, I could NOT get it out of the room.
I agree the innkeeper should look presentable at check in. But if they show before check in and we are a pile of sweat from vacuuming and hauling sheets up the stairs etc, then they will find us less-than-presentable.
There is an innkeeper on the other forum who arrived at a B&B which was not cheap by any means, but a braless shoeless "gal" and it really put her off! I think she said she was wearing the same "uniform" the whole three days she was there!

I think the whole point of this forum is to be ourselves. If an innkeeper wants to greet their guests in a certain manner, who are we to judge. If an innkeeper doesn't want to hug their guests, then don't. Each part of the country is different. Each inn is different. Each person is different. Isn't that what makes Innkeeping different from, say, hotels?
I agree, a hug at checkin would be a little much for me, but that's just me. However, there have been guests who hug me after they pay and thank me for all I did to make their stay comfotable. I remember those guests and have a special place in my heart for them. To me, it's the special ones that make the job worthwhile. (I say job because I'm just the Assistant). Everybody can have a PITA guest, but it's the special ones that I remember the names of. I don't have to look at a reservation sheet to know if they connected with me or if they were a PITA. I remember the huggers..
I think that is what we are saying...if it works for you then do it. If you are not comfortable doing it don't:)

Speaking of PITAs, would it be appropriate to give them a swift kick in the hind end when they leave?
tounge_smile.gif

JBJ mentioned booze-breath. It's equally important to be neat and clean when guests arrive. B.O. and/or too much cologne can certainly be off putting.
I remember one particular B&B in Vermont where the little lady running it reeked of AVON: Is 1 gallon enough, are two gallons too much?.
some people are closet smokers and use lots of perfume to try to cover ??

tounge_smile.gif

I remember one particular B&B in Vermont where the little lady running it reeked of AVON: Is 1 gallon enough, are two gallons too much?.
ProudTexan said:
I remember one particular B&B in Vermont where the little lady running it reeked of AVON: Is 1 gallon enough, are two gallons too much?
Bug spray. That's what Avon gets used for in VT.
It's unfortunate that guests choose to ring the bell while I'm cleaning and I stink to high heaven. There isn't a deodorant strong enough for menopause. And after 7 PM I smell like a bottle of wine. If you want me presentable, only show up between 3-7 but I still make no guarantees.
Right now there are 2 peeved guests in the parking lot. I'm sure they rang the bell, which we didn't hear because we are cleaning in the guest rooms. I happened to be nearby when an already checked-in guest from last night rang the bell and I helped them. I could see the 2 in the parking lot glaring at me. Right now I am wringing wet. If they try to ring the bell again, I'll answer it and get really close to them.
wink_smile.gif
Sans Avon.

tounge_smile.gif

ProudTexan said:
Bug spray. That's what Avon gets used for in VT.
It's unfortunate that guests choose to ring the bell while I'm cleaning and I stink to high heaven. There isn't a deodorant strong enough for menopause. And after 7 PM I smell like a bottle of wine. If you want me presentable, only show up between 3-7 but I still make no guarantees.
Right now there are 2 peeved guests in the parking lot. I'm sure they rang the bell, which we didn't hear because we are cleaning in the guest rooms. I happened to be nearby when an already checked-in guest from last night rang the bell and I helped them. I could see the 2 in the parking lot glaring at me. Right now I am wringing wet. If they try to ring the bell again, I'll answer it and get really close to them.
wink_smile.gif
Sans Avon.
ProudTexan said:
. And after 7 PM I smell like a bottle of wine. If you want me presentable, only show up between 3-7 but I still make no guarantees.
Ditto, except my check-in is between 3 - 5 and after that I'm cooking dinner with a wine glass at my side. I can throw some gum in my mouth if they are late. LOL!!
I think it's good that we are all different. I will shake hands upon arrival if a hand is offered. I will return a hug (or accept cheek kisses) upon departure. I don't like to be hugged by people I don't know but I would survive it. When in Europe the cheek-kissing thing is just fine.
I think it's charming that we all act as the different human beings that we are. Makes life interesting and staying in a BB is a way of avoiding the cookier cutter obvious.

Contrary to my screen name, I actually only have a glass of wine with dinner (maybe two on the weekends) and have never been drunk while on the job or in the last 20 years, in fact! I guess "Whinewitch" would have been a more appropo name!
But how do you manage to get a shower in before guests show up? I'm lucky to get one in before going to bed! And usually I'm forcing myself in there, because all I really want to do is crawl in that bed! But knowing that I cleaned up after all those germs! Ew! Shower NOW!

Contrary to my screen name, I actually only have a glass of wine with dinner (maybe two on the weekends) and have never been drunk while on the job or in the last 20 years, in fact! I guess "Whinewitch" would have been a more appropo name!
But how do you manage to get a shower in before guests show up? I'm lucky to get one in before going to bed! And usually I'm forcing myself in there, because all I really want to do is crawl in that bed! But knowing that I cleaned up after all those germs! Ew! Shower NOW!.
winewitch said:
But how do you manage to get a shower in before guests show up? I'm lucky to get one in before going to bed! And usually I'm forcing myself in there, because all I really want to do is crawl in that bed! But knowing that I cleaned up after all those germs! Ew! Shower NOW!
I have my own feelings about another innkeeper who is toasted at check in time. No it is not you, whoever you are...wherever you are. I just thought I would mention it non-chalantly with noone named in particular. I have never met this innkeeper in real life, it is just a hunch.
I might LOOK presentable and have fresh deodorant on, but I am really actually "unclean." I can't shower before check in time either. It is what it is. If I DO, then my hair would be dripping wet to help me cool down and I would never look presentable. LOL!

But how do you manage to get a shower in before guests show up? I'm lucky to get one in before going to bed! And usually I'm forcing myself in there, because all I really want to do is crawl in that bed! But knowing that I cleaned up after all those germs! Ew! Shower NOW!.
winewitch said:
I have my own feelings about another innkeeper who is toasted at check in time. No it is not you, whoever you are...wherever you are. I just thought I would mention it non-chalantly with noone named in particular. I have never met this innkeeper in real life, it is just a hunch.
I might LOOK presentable and have fresh deodorant on, but I am really actually "unclean." I can't shower before check in time either. It is what it is. If I DO, then my hair would be dripping wet to help me cool down and I would never look presentable. LOL!
I would LOVE to grab another shower before guests check-in because it is hot here a lot of the year & it would really freshen me up for sure. I'm lucky to splash some water on my face, re-fresh the deodorant, and throw on a clean change of clothes. I don't like it if I get caught by early check-ins looking like the gardener.
cry_smile.gif

When I was in my teens and trying to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up, I figured there were two kinds of jobs in the world: the kind you shower before work (as in you have to look nice on the job), and the kind you shower after work (as in you get dirty and stinky doing physical work).
Since I saw the effects the latter type of job had on my mom (she was a welder and would come home filthy and tired), I decided I wanted the other kind.
Little did I know that I would end up in a "job" where I need to shower before, during and after work!

When I was in my teens and trying to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up, I figured there were two kinds of jobs in the world: the kind you shower before work (as in you have to look nice on the job), and the kind you shower after work (as in you get dirty and stinky doing physical work).
Since I saw the effects the latter type of job had on my mom (she was a welder and would come home filthy and tired), I decided I wanted the other kind.
Little did I know that I would end up in a "job" where I need to shower before, during and after work!.
happyjacks said:
Little did I know that I would end up in a "job" where I need to shower before, during and after work!
During meaning WHILE WORKING IN the shower? Cleaning? Yeah that about sums it up alright. I am waiting for this last check in to have a nice bath. I am sure they will show up at midnight tho, so I will have to skip that.

Little did I know that I would end up in a "job" where I need to shower before, during and after work!.
happyjacks said:
During meaning WHILE WORKING IN the shower? Cleaning? Yeah that about sums it up alright. I am waiting for this last check in to have a nice bath. I am sure they will show up at midnight tho, so I will have to skip that.
Sometimes I do the during while cleaning the shower... when I forget to check that the faucet is turned down instead of up.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Back