Innkeeper going home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, last week or so I was one of the innkeepers on the loose. I'm headed home tomorrow after over two weeks away. Sadly, 'home' now means where I live rather than where my parents live.
Last year my mom died and this week I buried my dad.
No one is leaving the light on any longer for me at my childhood home.
I was with dad when he died, held his hand, and wished him well on his new journey. (And, I put his Rand McNally road atlas in the coffin.)
If you have the opportunity to work with hospice and allow a loved one to die at home surrounded by their own things, with life going on around them - music playing, family gathered nearby talking and laughing, loving attention when needed - I highly recommend it. It's not all sweetness and light, it's pretty grim at times, but it is a gift you give to them and yourself.

Really sad. I'm sorry you had to say goodbye. My own mom is 94, and I'm amazed every day that we've had her this long, and that she's still in great shape. Cherish every day, and every memory.

(hugs) to you. It's so sad. I believe it was a great comfort to him to pass the way he did.
broken_heart.gif

I love that you sent him on his final journey with a road atlas.

Yes, that helps with the healing. Daddy told me to go to bed so I did as he told me. That was in 1996 - and sometimes I feel he is still here in this room telling me what to do as it was here in my office that I took care of Daddy and John's brother.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. I'm glad you were able to be with him.
broken_heart.gif

My sincere sympathy for your loss. You have been a good daughter to them, seeing them to their end. We could all hope for that privilege.

Glad you were able to be there with him. I was not with my mom and regret it though it was not possible. Big hug to you
heart.gif

Glad you could be there Morticia. I am sorry for your loss.

I wish I had the right words to comfort you. Sending hugs.

Sorry to hear about this but glad you could be there! I know what you mean about hospice and all… we were blessed with them when my uncle died.

I too am going home next week. Can't believe it's been almost a month since mom died. Glad that you could be with your father. Sending big hugs your way.
heart.gif

It is gift and an honor to be with family as they pass. An indescribable feeling because it is so powerless, and somehow, strong.
So very sorry about your father. Wishing you comfort.

Thank you all for the kind words and the many cards I found waiting when I arrived home. You're a wonderful bunch of people to know.
heart.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss, but so very happy that you were able to be with him as he started his final journey.
heart.gif

So so sorry to hear of your father's passing. May his name be a blessing. He ws so lucky to have you near.

We are very thankful for your Dad for giving us you.
heart.gif
Cherish the memories, as they flood back. Very sorry for the pain and heartache, but that shows how special he was to you.

So sorry Mort. Consider yourself blessed. Poppa lost both his parents by the time he was 34. He lost his Dad just hours after we'd driven home from Lahey to Maryland. We had to return to Boston immediately. His Mom never told us how ill she was and passed away in Florida, hours before we gave birth to our third child in DC. She wanted him to be there for our daughter's birth vs her departure.

Back