Innkeeper info on website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Is it ok if I leave our photo but remove our names from our website? Almost all of the incoming spam (email, snail mail and phone) now addresses us by name, all 3 of us, including the dog. And that's how I know they are pulling the info off the website. And also why I do not list our last names.
sad_smile.gif

of course it is!
just leave off your names at the end of that page ...
i can't think of one time someone called and asked for me by name to make a reservation unless someone referred them to me. the emails like that addressed to ME were always spamorama.
wink_smile.gif

I have been thinking of this all day. Calls today have been asking for me by my first name only like they know me and when I said I wasn't in they then asked for the person in charge of ______. Caller ID either was NO NAME or Caller Unknown.
It helps in some ways to do this but what if it HAD been a customer? And I have gotten calls from customers asking if I am ____ as soon as I answer. And this is also the reason I do not include who I am when I answer the phone.
So I have been tossing the same idea in my mind. If I leave our names, I would rather have my last name listed instead of first so the caller would not sound like they are an 'ole friend'.

calls i get like that now that i have a little business and my name is on the site ... they are calling trying to sell me everything. always always always in offices since i first started working we had to NOT give out names as in 'may i speak to the person in charge of buying whatever?' and 'who would that person be?' i had to stop them in mid sentence now and ask 'is this a sales call?' because the calls would be constant.
now it's really hard to do this dance as i'm a one person operation. i'm seriously thinking of changing my biz name, even bought a new domain but i'll have to change the license name, etc and a hassle but probably worth it just so it's not so obviously just me

calls i get like that now that i have a little business and my name is on the site ... they are calling trying to sell me everything. always always always in offices since i first started working we had to NOT give out names as in 'may i speak to the person in charge of buying whatever?' and 'who would that person be?' i had to stop them in mid sentence now and ask 'is this a sales call?' because the calls would be constant.
now it's really hard to do this dance as i'm a one person operation. i'm seriously thinking of changing my biz name, even bought a new domain but i'll have to change the license name, etc and a hassle but probably worth it just so it's not so obviously just me.
Would it be easier to add DBA _____ to the license and any other legal documents than to officially change the name? - Just something for you to ask, maybe less hoops and $.

You will be spammed no matter what you do - that is small business year 2011. Look past it and think about your prospective guests and the #1 or so interest in a B&B which is contact with real people = you. To quote Steve Rambam, (and to paraphrase Mark Zuckerberg), "Privacy is dead – get over it". Not to be cynical, really, but paranoia over obnoxious marketing should not interfere with your openness to your customers. The info isn't just on your website, it is all over the place, and I am not speaking in general terms - google yourself, look at what is cached.

It's funny that you bring this up. Many years ago I needed to register some "anonymous" domains, back in the day where you couldn't really buy privacy for domains. So the domains were registered with my address, but with pseudonyms. Lately, I have been receiving snail mail solicitations with European stamps for online gaming. Names I haven't really seen in years are popping up on envelopes.
Spam isn't going to disappear. As long as they get one reply in 100K they are still profitable.
As for the companies that try to sell me on the telephone. I often ask them for a credit card number. When they ask why, I explain that I bill out at $60 an hour and that there is a 10 minute minimum. If they want to continue to talk, they will need to pay for my time. I won't let them continue until I get a credit card number from them. After the second refusal, I hang up. They never call again.
Now, if I can only do something about that burke that called at 12:39 AM asking for a room, last night.

You will be spammed no matter what you do - that is small business year 2011. Look past it and think about your prospective guests and the #1 or so interest in a B&B which is contact with real people = you. To quote Steve Rambam, (and to paraphrase Mark Zuckerberg), "Privacy is dead – get over it". Not to be cynical, really, but paranoia over obnoxious marketing should not interfere with your openness to your customers. The info isn't just on your website, it is all over the place, and I am not speaking in general terms - google yourself, look at what is cached..
Tom said:
Not to be cynical, really, but paranoia over obnoxious marketing should not interfere with your openness to your customers. The info isn't just on your website, it is all over the place, and I am not speaking in general terms - google yourself, look at what is cached.
What I am concerned about are the other people who answer the phone here not 'getting' that they are NOT to speak to telemarketers. The mail has to be shredded, extra time taken for that. Keeping up with the bills to be sure we haven't been slammed or crammed because someone had our names and made like they know us and got someone who answered the phone to say the magic word 'yes' into their tape recorder.
If telemarketers were only just annoying and not costing me money it would be easy. And I cannot get it thru the heads of business people who call here to id themselves FIRST before they ask to speak to any one of us. Because my first instinct toward anyone who doesn't id themselves as a guest or a friend is to treat them as a foe. And I hang up on them.

It's funny that you bring this up. Many years ago I needed to register some "anonymous" domains, back in the day where you couldn't really buy privacy for domains. So the domains were registered with my address, but with pseudonyms. Lately, I have been receiving snail mail solicitations with European stamps for online gaming. Names I haven't really seen in years are popping up on envelopes.
Spam isn't going to disappear. As long as they get one reply in 100K they are still profitable.
As for the companies that try to sell me on the telephone. I often ask them for a credit card number. When they ask why, I explain that I bill out at $60 an hour and that there is a 10 minute minimum. If they want to continue to talk, they will need to pay for my time. I won't let them continue until I get a credit card number from them. After the second refusal, I hang up. They never call again.
Now, if I can only do something about that burke that called at 12:39 AM asking for a room, last night..
Back in the day, when I was a single mom, we had 2 different last names on the mailbox. After awhile I started noticing mail coming to the house addressed to those 2 last names with a hyphen. We used to joke that those were the people who lived in the basement. But, they regularly got credit card solicitations, etc.
And on the telemarketing calls, I will sometimes say, 'Please hold while I transfer your call,' and then I set the phone down and go about my work until I stop hearing someone yelling on the other end.
I sincerely wish I could get the other half to understand I do not want him to give my name out to these people. But he cannot understand why I do not want to talk to 15 SEO experts everyday. And he always tells them his name so when they call back they always ask for him. And they call back several times/week.

Now, if I can only do something about that burke that called at 12:39 AM asking for a room, last night..
Back in the day, when I was a single mom, we had 2 different last names on the mailbox. After awhile I started noticing mail coming to the house addressed to those 2 last names with a hyphen. We used to joke that those were the people who lived in the basement. But, they regularly got credit card solicitations, etc.
And on the telemarketing calls, I will sometimes say, 'Please hold while I transfer your call,' and then I set the phone down and go about my work until I stop hearing someone yelling on the other end.
I sincerely wish I could get the other half to understand I do not want him to give my name out to these people. But he cannot understand why I do not want to talk to 15 SEO experts everyday. And he always tells them his name so when they call back they always ask for him. And they call back several times/week.
Tell them you are on the DO NOT CALL LIST and will report them if they don't stop calling. If I remember I will say that, or something like "you don't have permission to call this number" but most of the time I just HANG UP!

Tell them you are on the DO NOT CALL LIST and will report them if they don't stop calling. If I remember I will say that, or something like "you don't have permission to call this number" but most of the time I just HANG UP!
Doesn't work for business phones and they all know that. Most of them hang up before they can hear me say, 'Remove this number.' Actually, that's the fastest way to get them to hang up. Start with 'remove' or 'don't' and they are off the phone so fast!
Saying this is the answering service and they need to call the main office is good for a chuckle.

In an interesting spin on who can call for what reason, I just had a telemarketer call (one I have told a zillion times we're not interested) and when I said to take my number off the list he said, 'Your phone number is on the internet.' Hmm, my address is on the internet, too, are you going to show up at my house as well?
So, I said, 'My phone number may be on the internet but you don't have to call it again.'

we are lucky in this county as you can have commercial telephone and fax preference which does cut out a lot of this crap

In a loud voice, with the full pulled back a bit, yell as if you are calling someone "It's the Nigerian scammers again. Pick up the other line and get this call traced, while I try to keep them talking." Go back to the phone and act as if they didn't hear that.
When they offer me the first page of google, I ask them how, since all it says on the first page is GOOGLE in big letters. I can't afford the billions of dollars it would take to buy google.
One company that suggested that they were in fact sponsored by Google, never calls me anymore. I called a friend at Google and had they have a discussion with them. They moved on to Facebook, since they can't use Google's name anymore.

In a loud voice, with the full pulled back a bit, yell as if you are calling someone "It's the Nigerian scammers again. Pick up the other line and get this call traced, while I try to keep them talking." Go back to the phone and act as if they didn't hear that.
When they offer me the first page of google, I ask them how, since all it says on the first page is GOOGLE in big letters. I can't afford the billions of dollars it would take to buy google.
One company that suggested that they were in fact sponsored by Google, never calls me anymore. I called a friend at Google and had they have a discussion with them. They moved on to Facebook, since they can't use Google's name anymore.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Generally I say, 'Facebook? We have a Facebook page? I didn't know that. If I figure out who did that I'll make them stop.'
Did you know there are over 500 million FB users and they all are going to want to stay with you if your name is out there? (No, I'm a clueless idiot, please enlighten me. Yeesh.)
If I wanted to run FB contests to get 'likes' I would do that myself. If I wanted to annoy people on FB I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to do that, too, without hiring someone to get all in everyone's face for me. They really don't offer anything new and exciting to try. Blah, blah, blah.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Like that one!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I've tried this one, it just leads to them trying to make me understand. Then I say what is Google, never really knew what all that talk is about anyway?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Had a auto caller the other day, it started off 'we are not affiliated with Google' - I didn't wait for anything else - click!

I do not have our last names on the website, I do have them on the confirmation and other places. BBonline and BandB.com put your last names on there (yours are there) and I have just our first on there as well. There is no reason to have them on there at all, You can be "Innkeeper Ike"

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Generally I say, 'Facebook? We have a Facebook page? I didn't know that. If I figure out who did that I'll make them stop.'
Did you know there are over 500 million FB users and they all are going to want to stay with you if your name is out there? (No, I'm a clueless idiot, please enlighten me. Yeesh.)
If I wanted to run FB contests to get 'likes' I would do that myself. If I wanted to annoy people on FB I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to do that, too, without hiring someone to get all in everyone's face for me. They really don't offer anything new and exciting to try. Blah, blah, blah.
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Area code 503. They blog about scams all over the place to hide all the horrible discussion about themselves as scammers.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Area code 503. They blog about scams all over the place to hide all the horrible discussion about themselves as scammers.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Bingo again.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Alibi Ike said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Bingo! That's the one.
Bingo again.
I wonder if the reason they don't call me anymore has to do with the fact that I have a friend at Google :D

Back