Innkeeper, not Owner.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry64

Reaction score
What are some things to think about if I were to be an innkeeper, not an owner? I would want to make sure I answer all the questions I should have before I would be able to take an innkeeper position. What should I make sure to ask the owners?
help.gif

I know some on here are innkeepers and have had issues with their inn's owners seeing eye to eye on different issues, and I would love to hear their opinion, as well as everyone elses opinions.
teeth_smile.gif

Thanks!!

How many hours a week are you expected to work? When is your day off? (If ever...) Who makes decisions regarding how the money is spent? What kind of control (if any) do you have over marketing, decorating, advertising?
Good luck!
=)
Kk.

Will you be expected to live on property? If not, are you on call in the middle of the night? What are your responsibilities going to be? Will you do all meal planning, provide recipes and do the shopping? Will you have to create a marketing plan, or just implement one that's handed to you? Will you have to do the budgeting, or work from one given to you? Will you be the one to deal with complaining guests, or will you have to defer to the owner's decisions? Will you have to manage staff...and have you ever had to do that before?
I would think that Farmer's Daughter might have more insight on this one.

Will you be expected to live on property? If not, are you on call in the middle of the night? What are your responsibilities going to be? Will you do all meal planning, provide recipes and do the shopping? Will you have to create a marketing plan, or just implement one that's handed to you? Will you have to do the budgeting, or work from one given to you? Will you be the one to deal with complaining guests, or will you have to defer to the owner's decisions? Will you have to manage staff...and have you ever had to do that before?
I would think that Farmer's Daughter might have more insight on this one..
Little Blue said:
Will you be the one to deal with complaining guests, or will you have to defer to the owner's decisions?

This is the one that worries me. But the current innkeepers have been running it for a while, so I am sure there is a plan in place. The owners are quite knowledgable about the inner workings of an inn, since they used to run one, before they bought this one a number of years ago. But they live out of town.

Back