Innkeeper prior walks of life

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
It seems that a lot of innkeepers previously worked in what would be called 'helping' trades- teaching, nursing, military.
One thing I know for sure, no matter what trade the innkeepers formerly plied, they are the most obsessive people I've ever met.

Not just innkeepers - I think most small business owners are that way. We're control freaks and not ashamed of it!

military is a helping trade?
we have to be 24/7 johnny on the spot...we don't have the "i'll have to find out and get back to you..." excuse. as i like to say "innkeeping ain't for wimps!"

started out teaching, went to counseling and now doing both counseling and innkeeping!!! LOL!
Don't worry, I don't diagnos you all!

started out teaching, went to counseling and now doing both counseling and innkeeping!!! LOL!
Don't worry, I don't diagnos you all!.
Sunshine said:
Why not? I've already diagnosed everybody here! Only one of you needs further therapy, and you know who you are.

Don't worry, I don't diagnos you all!.
Sunshine said:
Why not? I've already diagnosed everybody here! Only one of you needs further therapy, and you know who you are.
Arkansawyer said:
[Why not? I've already diagnosed everybody here! Only one of you needs further therapy, and you know who you are.
I plead guilty!
Re prior professions: I once counted the different jobs I had done for at least 30 days minimum. I stopped counting at 25. Everything from waitress (very short-lived) to tire buster (about 3 years) to data processing (everything from keypunch to programmer). I like the ones I am doing now best - innkeeper/City Clerk/serving on Boards and Commissions for the City.

therapy? we all need industrial strength therapy! thats why we are here!!!!

Mostly IT in my past, bank teller, accounting and teaching. Maybe I'm the one that needs more therapy.

This would explain why I am not the front man for the B&B as I am an internet guy so probably not a "helping trade".

DH and I have been in service industry-were owners at one time-i am more obsessive than he is but he seems to keep me grounded....lets see: day care person, waitress, receptionist, sales in a resort (plots of land), sold house trailers, advertising rep, merchandiser-put up magazines, bread route person (with hubbie) and now Innkeeper-whats next? at least i can say my life was and is not boring.
DH keeps saying that all we've done in our life has actually trined us to be what we are the best at Innkeeping. And it aint for wimps!

Not just innkeepers - I think most small business owners are that way. We're control freaks and not ashamed of it!.
We work hard to keep a balance, but most every challenge comes from those times we have given someone else control. They just don't have our passion!

This would explain why I am not the front man for the B&B as I am an internet guy so probably not a "helping trade"..
toddburme said:
This would explain why I am not the front man for the B&B as I am an internet guy so probably not a "helping trade".
DH is an engineer, I worked the tech support help desk. Technically, you could say I was 'helping'.
wink_smile.gif

I was a teacher for 30 years AND running the inn for 15 of those years as well. Seems like a piece of cake JUST being and innkeeper now that the teaching is history.

My background is in accounting. I brought a few clients with me when I relocated to become an Innkeeper. I'm not really a people person, not good with small talk, prefer to be in the back office rather than being all cheerful and chatty, don't like talking on the phone. *lol* Yeah, not the best innkeeper material.
I prefer to work with dogs - their easier to get along with and don't need to carry on a conversation. I can tell them what to do, entertain them with the simpest of toys or teach them to entertain me. We make a good team...
Before I moved, I was saying goodbye to my favorite pet store manager. When I told her why I was moving, she said, "You're not really the bed and breakfast type" and then made a grumbly-gruff noise & face. I was stunned speechless... I don't recall ever being that way in her store, but obviously she saw something. What a eye-opener - I couldn't get that out of my head!
But, I'll be the first to admit that I've surprised myself so far. I think it's the fact that when people call, they are planning a trip, a happy time. Not calling to grumble about the IRS or wanting to know when they'll get their P&L. I haven't had any trouble chatting with guests, finding common ground or being the receptionist selling our rooms. I've enjoyed getting to know the other local business owners who refer to us and being the face of our B&B in the community.
Maybe I was just a grumble-butt because I had not found my outlet. Just maybe, this will all turn out alright...

My background is in accounting. I brought a few clients with me when I relocated to become an Innkeeper. I'm not really a people person, not good with small talk, prefer to be in the back office rather than being all cheerful and chatty, don't like talking on the phone. *lol* Yeah, not the best innkeeper material.
I prefer to work with dogs - their easier to get along with and don't need to carry on a conversation. I can tell them what to do, entertain them with the simpest of toys or teach them to entertain me. We make a good team...
Before I moved, I was saying goodbye to my favorite pet store manager. When I told her why I was moving, she said, "You're not really the bed and breakfast type" and then made a grumbly-gruff noise & face. I was stunned speechless... I don't recall ever being that way in her store, but obviously she saw something. What a eye-opener - I couldn't get that out of my head!
But, I'll be the first to admit that I've surprised myself so far. I think it's the fact that when people call, they are planning a trip, a happy time. Not calling to grumble about the IRS or wanting to know when they'll get their P&L. I haven't had any trouble chatting with guests, finding common ground or being the receptionist selling our rooms. I've enjoyed getting to know the other local business owners who refer to us and being the face of our B&B in the community.
Maybe I was just a grumble-butt because I had not found my outlet. Just maybe, this will all turn out alright....
Dena said:
Maybe I was just a grumble-butt because I had not found my outlet. Just maybe, this will all turn out alright...
It's a total different phase in your life. You've tapped into parts of your personality that may have been difficult for you before. Being an innkeeper forces/helps all of us to challenge ourselves in areas we never thought we'd be able to do. There's also a huge difference when it's your products you're selling and have pride in. Good for you for opening up to these new aspects of your personality!

I was in the performing arts and DH had a thankless import/export career. Moved from a huge metropolis to rural living. You couldn't drag us back to our old lives!

I was in the performing arts and DH had a thankless import/export career. Moved from a huge metropolis to rural living. You couldn't drag us back to our old lives!.
"You couldn't drag us back to our old lives!"
Oh boy is that the truth!

I was in the performing arts and DH had a thankless import/export career. Moved from a huge metropolis to rural living. You couldn't drag us back to our old lives!.
Happy Keeper said:
...said the one living in paradise ;-)

Happy Keeper said:
Arkansawyer said:
Happy Keeper said:
But remember, Paradise is where YOU find it - I have mine in West Virginia. The Spring 2012 issue of WV Living was delivered today! A beautiful story and layout of my Shinnston!! WOOHOO!! took 3 years of pitching to get it and it was worth it.

Back