Innkeeper Resolutions for 2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
In 2009 I resolve to...(Fill in the blank)
I wanted everyone to share what they plan on changing, or holding fast to for 2009. Not a guaranteed resolution per se, but maybe a suggestion we can all learn from.
Examples:
  1. In 2009 I resolve to sell Gift Certificates by numeric dollar value only.
  2. In 2009 I resolve to stick to my policies and not allow situations to sway me, if in doubt I will issue a GC for the stay.
  3. In 2009 I resolve to make every guest feel special, not let any slip in and slip out without some personal attention from the innkeeper.
  4. In 2009 I resolve to spend LESS on the little extras that the guests don't seem to appreciate (ie free bday cakes when they could order one in an add-one package but chose not to!)
  5. In 2009 I resolve to finish project XYZ.
  6. In 2009 I resolve to expand marketing to include...XYZ
Anything you all can add or subtract...please feel free.

Here is one from me personally...
In 2009 I resolve to get together with at least 2 other innkeepers from this forum for encouragement and innkeeper fellowship (maybe at one inn, if separate then sobeit more travel time for me or them!)
Those who have not redeemed their recipricol stays with me - please consider doing it this year! Life is too short... You have to take care of #1 so you can take care of your guests.
teeth_smile.gif

Great idea! Here goes:
  1. I resolve to blog more about things to do.
  2. Your option 3, me too. (In 2009 I resolve to make every guest feel special, not let any slip in and slip out without some personal attention from the innkeeper.)
  3. I resolve to not let the clueless and careless get me down.
  4. I resolve to figure out how to market better (free, if possible!).
  5. I resolve to get the website improved, either by me or someone with more experience.
  6. I resolve to be open to the possibilities.
Personal one...I resolve to be in weekly contact with my kids. Time goes by too quickly when they're older and out of the house.

I am resolving to plow at least two new fields of markets.
I am also resolving to at least TRY to decrapify my Library.
If I can do both of those successfully I will have accomplished more than anyone can imagine.

What about reviews? I hate asking for reviews, hate it, don't like to do it. I do it though, nearly every guest.
Innkeepers, any feedback on this subject? Any new methods, new verbiage, new something to get reviews? It is such a pain with so many different places WANTING OUR REVIEWS so now we have to have fresh reviews for iloveinns, BandB.com, TA, Yahoo and many others! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
If BandB.com comments on this I will scream, I will listen, but scream, as those review cards were the worst of the bunch! Getting a one liner "Nice place" was more insulting to me than worthy!!!

What about reviews? I hate asking for reviews, hate it, don't like to do it. I do it though, nearly every guest.
Innkeepers, any feedback on this subject? Any new methods, new verbiage, new something to get reviews? It is such a pain with so many different places WANTING OUR REVIEWS so now we have to have fresh reviews for iloveinns, BandB.com, TA, Yahoo and many others! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
If BandB.com comments on this I will scream, I will listen, but scream, as those review cards were the worst of the bunch! Getting a one liner "Nice place" was more insulting to me than worthy!!!.
I hate asking for reviews as well. And it sometimes comes back to bite me...one reviewer sat here and complained how much she had to pay for parking, water, WiFi, etc the night before in NYC and then said my place wasn't worth what she paid.
I would say I have gotten 5% response from asking for reviews. About what everyone else in my neighborhood got.

Here is one from me personally...
In 2009 I resolve to get together with at least 2 other innkeepers from this forum for encouragement and innkeeper fellowship (maybe at one inn, if separate then sobeit more travel time for me or them!)
Those who have not redeemed their recipricol stays with me - please consider doing it this year! Life is too short... You have to take care of #1 so you can take care of your guests.
teeth_smile.gif
Hi there!
I resolve to take some time off and hubby and I book a room with you and visit!!! We're not that far so there is no excuse.
By the way, while we don't take anyone under 21 (our wine country "thing") please note Junie that this does not apply to your family! We have two ajoining suites and you and hubby could take one, and the girls could take the other and feel all grown up. They'd have a tv/dvd to entertain them!
Riki

Riki, thanks for the invite, and we would love to have you visit! It is really super to meet forum inn-mates.
teeth_smile.gif

I just got my first resolution. No. 1: I will operate (and dock) this boat by myself and with confidence! I don't want to even think about #2.
I just learned that my captain, Pascal, is in the Bahamas on the other charteryacht and won't be back until Friday. I've got a crowd coming over for the annual outing on Sanctuary to watch fireworks on the hook (at anchor) in front of downtown Miami on New Year's Eve. So, I have to step up to the helm and do this myself. I do fine when there is someone else onboard I can use as a crutch when I need to, but I need to get over that "she's a really big boat" mental fear and do this on my own. Everyone who has docked her says she's a pussy cat and the best handling boat in the marina. Yes, I know that and have had perfect landings everytime I've done it, but still....she's a lot of boat - 46 tons worth.
Please pray for nice weather and that I grow a spine. :D Putting her back in the slip with a strong wind to my beam (side) is the only thing that gives me the hee-bee-jee-beeies. I don't have bow thrusters (those are like propellers in the front of the boat that turn the bow from side to side..."cheater's toys" or "the coffee grinder"), so all my docking maneuvers have to be done with thought and precision since I can only control the placement of the front of boat based upon propulsion from one side or the other from the very back. Thank God I have two engines to work with!
I'll let ya know what Resolution No. 2 is, later.

I just got my first resolution. No. 1: I will operate (and dock) this boat by myself and with confidence! I don't want to even think about #2.
I just learned that my captain, Pascal, is in the Bahamas on the other charteryacht and won't be back until Friday. I've got a crowd coming over for the annual outing on Sanctuary to watch fireworks on the hook (at anchor) in front of downtown Miami on New Year's Eve. So, I have to step up to the helm and do this myself. I do fine when there is someone else onboard I can use as a crutch when I need to, but I need to get over that "she's a really big boat" mental fear and do this on my own. Everyone who has docked her says she's a pussy cat and the best handling boat in the marina. Yes, I know that and have had perfect landings everytime I've done it, but still....she's a lot of boat - 46 tons worth.
Please pray for nice weather and that I grow a spine. :D Putting her back in the slip with a strong wind to my beam (side) is the only thing that gives me the hee-bee-jee-beeies. I don't have bow thrusters (those are like propellers in the front of the boat that turn the bow from side to side..."cheater's toys" or "the coffee grinder"), so all my docking maneuvers have to be done with thought and precision since I can only control the placement of the front of boat based upon propulsion from one side or the other from the very back. Thank God I have two engines to work with!
I'll let ya know what Resolution No. 2 is, later..
You will do fine. We are ALL of us helping you, even tho we're not there. (OK, maybe not me, I'm a klutz.)

i know i can.
I Know I Can
I KNOW I Can
I KNOW I Can
I KNOW I CAN!!!!!

i know i can.
I Know I Can
I KNOW I Can
I KNOW I Can
I KNOW I CAN!!!!!
Great attitude :)

We were just talking and some of the things we are very grateful for are:
That our jobs (being innkeepers) provide us with rewards on a daily basis.
That we have succeeded in attracting perfect guests
That we can often create a new success and we are rarely burdened with having to recreate previous ones
That we love our house and we only leave by choice
That we have learned how to accept praise and it feels good
That we were able to carve a niche out for ourselves that utilized our strengths.
We resolve to continue to appreciate them in 2009

I also resolve to try harder to find someone to open another B & B in Shinnston in 2009. We have :
  • Enough activity to support another
  • a City receptive to B & B
  • Inerstate access
  • a current innkeeper who has paid 13 years of advertisg and marketing and is willing to help (wants the newbie)
  • many beautiful houses (and yes of course they need work)

I am resolved to not accept any BOGO's for 2009.
Why? You ask, because they irritate me. The guests assume that the directory is paying for the second night, in fact the directories (or the promoter of the BOGO) give that impression. So they guests are almost cocky about them to the owners of these fine B&B's who are giving them a FREE NIGHT STAY.
At first I was happy to take them off season midweek, but many call and plead their case and I take them on a weekend and regret it. Many BOGO's are the ones who steal all the teabags, and put very little if anything back into the local economy. Other than the one night stay $ - and typically they do not book the most expensive room, but the least expensive.
I gave it my best shot for 3 to 4 years and just am not satisfied with the outcome. The Stash tea are more preferred to the iloveinns, I will add. I am always hopeful they will use the BOGO and stay 3 nights or 4 nights and we can recoup. I resent the fact that iloveinns just recently said to "expand your BOGO days to fill empty beds" like there is ZERO cost to have people in our B&B's. In our winter season when we must heat guest areas - the BOGO does not pay for the heating and meals. Plus our time and hard work. Here is a novel thought - when you book a room at a B&B you are also paying for the innkeeper! Why do we think we can work for free all the time. As one innkeeper put it the only one making any money is her cleaning staff. LOL!
So my logic is in 2009 I will not be accepting these BOGO's. This is called my marketing resolution for 2009.

I am resolved to not accept any BOGO's for 2009.
Why? You ask, because they irritate me. The guests assume that the directory is paying for the second night, in fact the directories (or the promoter of the BOGO) give that impression. So they guests are almost cocky about them to the owners of these fine B&B's who are giving them a FREE NIGHT STAY.
At first I was happy to take them off season midweek, but many call and plead their case and I take them on a weekend and regret it. Many BOGO's are the ones who steal all the teabags, and put very little if anything back into the local economy. Other than the one night stay $ - and typically they do not book the most expensive room, but the least expensive.
I gave it my best shot for 3 to 4 years and just am not satisfied with the outcome. The Stash tea are more preferred to the iloveinns, I will add. I am always hopeful they will use the BOGO and stay 3 nights or 4 nights and we can recoup. I resent the fact that iloveinns just recently said to "expand your BOGO days to fill empty beds" like there is ZERO cost to have people in our B&B's. In our winter season when we must heat guest areas - the BOGO does not pay for the heating and meals. Plus our time and hard work. Here is a novel thought - when you book a room at a B&B you are also paying for the innkeeper! Why do we think we can work for free all the time. As one innkeeper put it the only one making any money is her cleaning staff. LOL!
So my logic is in 2009 I will not be accepting these BOGO's. This is called my marketing resolution for 2009..
I know you have said you don't get a lot of repeats, but how about offering your own BOGO to the guests you have really liked? Pick a month when you are typically down and offer it to them. Get some of them to come back at a time you need the business, wouldn't be full anyway, etc. Maybe that would increase the repeat biz, if you want to do that.

Nope, no BOGO. Discounts, youbetchya. The thing is, people come here to do things, there are few who just are getting away and enjoy this B&B, but most are here to go and do and see things. So that would mean BOGO's on weekends, special events, holidays. On a day like today they could be here hiking their butts off and loving these mountains. Wamr sunny blue skies, perfect for that. But you never can plan a trip around the weather this time of year.
I am un-decroating the tree, cleaning, dusting (with a shovel) and decrapifying. UGH
Nope, no BOGO.

Nope, no BOGO. Discounts, youbetchya. The thing is, people come here to do things, there are few who just are getting away and enjoy this B&B, but most are here to go and do and see things. So that would mean BOGO's on weekends, special events, holidays. On a day like today they could be here hiking their butts off and loving these mountains. Wamr sunny blue skies, perfect for that. But you never can plan a trip around the weather this time of year.
I am un-decroating the tree, cleaning, dusting (with a shovel) and decrapifying. UGH
Nope, no BOGO..
We're doing the tree tomorrow. And all the rest of the decor. I'm all set up to do the staining on the mirrors tomorrow. I've been working thru the laundry today...mine and one room that is almost completely stripped. Then I decided to just sit down and fuggedaboutit until tomorrow.
Tomorrow I'm reliving 80's entertaining by making the grape jelly & chili sauce meatball hors d'oeuvres for the NYE party we were invited to.

Nope, no BOGO..
We're doing the tree tomorrow. And all the rest of the decor. I'm all set up to do the staining on the mirrors tomorrow. I've been working thru the laundry today...mine and one room that is almost completely stripped. Then I decided to just sit down and fuggedaboutit until tomorrow.
Tomorrow I'm reliving 80's entertaining by making the grape jelly & chili sauce meatball hors d'oeuvres for the NYE party we were invited to.
Oh that sounds yummy to me. I am making regular Italian meatballs. I was just doing my yoga and it came to me...let's have spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight:)

Nope, no BOGO..
Oh that sounds yummy to me. I am making regular Italian meatballs. I was just doing my yoga and it came to me...let's have spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight:)
catlady said:
Yes, I often contort myself into pasta shapes while doing yoga...

Back