Innkeeper Sayings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just for fun...
Waiting for guests is worse than waiting for water to boil, or paint to dry.

We are often asked what it is like being an innkeeper. Here is what I say.
Being an innkeeper is like being a duck in a pond...serenely gliding on the surface and paddling like HELL underneath.

They pay, they stay, they go away!
Or, for those who accept payment upon check-out:
They stay, they pay, they go away!

Of course I have nothing better to do all day than (wait for you, clean up after you, try to track you down when your credit card doesn't work, talk to you about everything there is to do only to have you stay elsewhere, mail back your missing whatsit, and so on)

Being an innkeeper is like being a duck in a pond...serenely gliding on the surface and paddling like HELL underneath..
Silverspoon said:
Being an innkeeper is like being a duck in a pond...serenely gliding on the surface and paddling like HELL underneath.
That's good!

If they're staying for free, they're using every last amenity, resource and minute of the time.

If they're staying for free, they're using every last amenity, resource and minute of the time..
Ain't that the truth! The only problem we have ever had with guests smoking inside the B+B was a couple in the cottage using a gift certificate. They could have cared less! We actually have stopped issuing GC because, although some people do not use the certificate, we have found that the quality of the guest using them is not up to par and gives us more aggravation than they are worth. I think GC guests see the "free" stay as a chance to use every towel, run the gas fireplace until the temps reach 90 degrees, leave a mess of dishes in the sink, and track in an entire beach of sand!

If they're staying for free, they're using every last amenity, resource and minute of the time..
Ain't that the truth! The only problem we have ever had with guests smoking inside the B+B was a couple in the cottage using a gift certificate. They could have cared less! We actually have stopped issuing GC because, although some people do not use the certificate, we have found that the quality of the guest using them is not up to par and gives us more aggravation than they are worth. I think GC guests see the "free" stay as a chance to use every towel, run the gas fireplace until the temps reach 90 degrees, leave a mess of dishes in the sink, and track in an entire beach of sand!
Silverspoon said:
and sadly the person giving the GC wants them to experience something nicer than usual, dip their toes in the B&B world... I find your statement 100% correct. But in the off season when someone makes a purchase I forget all of that...

Silverspoon said:
and sadly the person giving the GC wants them to experience something nicer than usual, dip their toes in the B&B world... I find your statement 100% correct. But in the off season when someone makes a purchase I forget all of that...
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
Oh, it's worse- I didn't mention it was a donated GC

This what I am afraid of with Groupon or LS guests. I know they are not all like that but maybe not bed and breakfast types.
We never never give away full nights stay for donations. If we give $50 then if they really want to be here they will gladly pay the extra.

This what I am afraid of with Groupon or LS guests. I know they are not all like that but maybe not bed and breakfast types.
We never never give away full nights stay for donations. If we give $50 then if they really want to be here they will gladly pay the extra.
sandynn said:
I have one outstanding for this year and one more that expires next year and that's it. Most of them never get turned in. I just hope the charity got something for them!
I just looked and I have 8-9 of them that were never used.

Silverspoon said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
I know it probably varies from state to state but isn't there about a 10 year window that has to be honored for redemption whenever a GC is issued? Heavens! Who knows what can happen in 10 years! I couldn't stand to have someone stay who waited 10 years and used it at the 11th hour just to use it up. And to have donated the blasted thing is even worse!
smileystooges.gif

Silverspoon said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
I know it probably varies from state to state but isn't there about a 10 year window that has to be honored for redemption whenever a GC is issued? Heavens! Who knows what can happen in 10 years! I couldn't stand to have someone stay who waited 10 years and used it at the 11th hour just to use it up. And to have donated the blasted thing is even worse!
smileystooges.gif

I expire donated GC's, generally in the same year they are donated. Paid GC's live forever.

I love all my guests. Some while they are here. And some when they leave.

Back