Innkeeper Seminar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee2014

Reaction score
I went to The B&B Team Aspiring Innkeeper Seminar by Eliot Dalton. Never too late to attend. There were people from every walk of life in innkeeping from just got thinking maybe we could do this, let check this out to veteran of innkeeping. I learned a lot and its a relaxing fun experience. Here's some take away to share with you.
Banks and Loans- Banks are learning that future innkeepers knowing the daily stuff is important to them getting their money back so they grin happily inside when they see your certificate from aspiring innkeepers seminars and hotel and inn experience on your resume. If you know what you are doing the risk of them getting the B&B dumped back on them is less and they are willing to take the risk. So attend a seminar and get a part time job at a hotel or B&B can get you the loan you need to buy your dream B&B.
Did you know there are grants out there for B&Bs? Yes, there are. Two of the seminar attendees walked out with grant forms from a place in the area they are in. The idea behind it is that if the B&Bs are kept running smoothly and transfer successfully, the community and local businesses will benefit as well.
New Trends to explore. Work Vacations- Its all about the experience now. The guests pay you to come and do your work. Yes, you read that right. Find a time that work for you, what you need done, and advertise it and see what happens. Eliot thought this was weird so he gave it a try. So he paid to clean hiking trails with other outdoor hikers at his favorite vacation spot. He had a great time and loved it! Tea Parties- for 12-14 year old girls. Have a nice room to have a tea party with fancy tea set? You can buy fancy looking cups and saucers at thrift stores for not much money.

I really enjoyed it and would say it was worth the money especially for wannabes and new innkeepers. You are given so much information and stuff to take home to study. So take notes but don't go crazy since you get to keep the "workbook", computer data, hand outs, etc. A local innkeeper couple came over lunch and shared their experiences with us, answered questions, told us their best and worst guests stories, etc. Eliot gave us certificates at the end of the seminar which means nothing but that we finished his seminar. But the certificate when presented to places can give you discounts, make banks happy to loan you money, and looks good on your portfolio.

Thanks, that's good to know and thanks or sharing some of those insights! Food for thought. We hope to attend one with Peter Scherman at some point.

A friend of mine who retired from in keeping after 11 years, supplemented her income nicely with little girl tea parties. She had boas& fancy dresses in the basement for the girls to "dress up" and did tea & etiquette for groups of no more than 10. Girl Scout troops, birthday parties - many returning too.

Back